Customer Service 866.965.0400

1968 Pontiac GTO convertible.

BRZN

I first saw this car at a little get together back in the end of May. It belongs to one of my fellow SVGTO club members. The car was originally painted Meridian Terquoise and sometime before he purchased it in the early/mid 90's it had been painted another 68 GTO color: Starlight Black. He thinks during the mid 80's.

The paint itself looks real nice with very few scratches, swirls, or marring of the finish and pretty much 0 Orange Peel. However, there are several problems that are going to warrant a repaint fairly soon so we though it'd be a nice car to teach him some techniques on.

This is a 1 of 402 produced car that year with a step down intake manifold holding a 2bbl carb making it an Economy V8. Economy? It's got a 400 cubic inch engine! Convertible with AC and factory Cruise Control. The vehicle still has it's original drivetrain and only 47,600 original miles. About 14,500 miles have been put on it since the current owner purchased it some 15 years ago.

There were several spots Bird poo hit and didn't get wiped off quickly enough. Some kind of large mark on the right rear quarter panel that we started on, and this was before I grabbed the camera, sorry.

Enjoy the pictures:

IMG_2884resize.jpg

IMG_2869resize.jpg

IMG_2870resize.jpg

This paint was hard and had no Clear coat. Wet sanding was required or we'd still be out there trying to polish it out!

IMG_2873resize.jpg

IMG_2874resize.jpg

SSR and Green Pad done as is SSR with the Orange Pad at this point:

IMG_2875resize.jpg

White pad in action with FMP:

IMG_2876resize.jpg

Not bad:

IMG_2877resize.jpg

On to some nasties on the trunk lid:

IMG_2878resize.jpg

I may have created a Monster:

IMG_2879resize.jpg

He kept mumbling I gotta get one of these!

IMG_2880resize.jpg

Look at the depth in that 25 year old paint!

IMG_2881resize.jpg

IMG_2885resize.jpg

It's his car and is due for a re-paint soon: he owns a few so will do as he wishes. It could go back to original, but I've got to tell you the Starlight Black is absolutely awesome to look at! My vote is to keep it Black.

Two brand new 68's were the cause of years of musclecar craziness and an obsession with horsepower - both cars were my older cousins boyfriends cars and she still remembers the day her boyfriends took me for a "spin around the block". The first car - a '68 Plymouth GTX 440 six-pack and a car similar to this one in the pic - a '68 GTO. The GTX was that army green color with white interior and red-stripe tires. I don't remember the color of the GTO. All I remember is NOT being able to unglue my back from the seatback. :lol: I think I was like 14 or 15 at the time.

It's his car and is due for a re-paint soon: he owns a few so will do as he wishes. It could go back to original, but I've got to tell you the Starlight Black is absolutely awesome to look at! My vote is to keep it Black.

yeah i hear ya, but ive been brought up to preserve originality lol. but no doubt that black looks good for example, my dads 77 z28(rough pic):

IMG00102-20090601-1844.jpg

sorry for threadjack lol.

Archived