Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cigarette smell.

Mysticine

Question

I have never smoked, however the previous operator of my patrol car did. It's evident by the cigarette burns in the seats, carpets, and the melted plastic on the door. :rolleyes:

I "Adamized" the car when I first got it, including a complete cleaning of the interior (I mean everything, carpets, floormats, headliner, etc). I still noticed a faint smell of cigarette smoke that I just couldn't get rid of. A friend suggested an idea and I thought I would share it with you.

I was fortunate enough to leave the car parked for 11 days straight (mini vacation). During that time I bought a large bag of charcoal. I split it into two smaller brown paper bags and placed one in the front and one in the back (the car is separated by a cage). I was thrilled when I returned from vacation to find that the car no longer smelled like cigarette smoke.

I'm not sure if it will last, but it worked for now. :)

Edited by Mysticine

There's some great products on the market that eliminated cigarette smell.... not only instantly but for good!

I recently had this problem with a used car purchased for my aunt. Quickly resolved!

I just wish Adam's made odor elimanators/scents. :(

Never heard of your method but if it's effective - and leaves no "Kingsford" residue - than it's a beauty!

Thanks for sharing.

:2thumbs:

This will definitely work assuming that you've removed the source of the smell from everything... which is no small task.

Every square inch of the interior needs to be cleaned to remove cig smoke residues... that includes even pulling the vents and cleaning deep into the HVAC system, extracting the headliner, seats, floors, etc.

If any smoke residue remains the next hot day, or when you run the HVAC system the scent will return.

I have a used an ozonator with a tremendous amount of success. Run it a couple hours with air on and windows up. Works great. Did the same thing in a friends house that had a fire. Did it room by room, worked great.

Charcoal is a great idea! I use open boxes of baking soda in my home kitchen pantry, in stored boxes in my basement to avoid mildew odors, refrigerator, freezer & in the closed door cabinet shelf in my garage.

Not sure if it would get rid of smoke odor, but it should help hmm.gif.....I don't smoke anymore!

I was at a Porsche Club event today and I mentioned to the local Adam's dealer Darryl that the previous owner of my 2008 Cayman was a smoker (the car had been detailed prior to delivery to me) so the smell was disguised for a couple of weeks. Darryl grimaced, but told me that I needed to clean all of the carpeting first as that is where a lot of the "contaminants" are. I won a door prize from him and he gave me a spray bottle of his "Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner" which I will apply tomorrow. While I was standing there, his associate (I will get her name), told me about a previous employee that "smoked like a chimney". She told me that the remedy is to cut an apple into quarters and place a piece in each quadrant of the cabin and close it tightly for 24 hours (I am doing that now). To bad that smoker info can't get into a Carfax report!

Not if you keep a bag of Kingsford in the trunk! lol

J/K

Chris

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

I have charcoal in 2 buckets in my basement. It seems to help keep it from smelling musty and damp.

I would also like to know how long this technique will work and also when the chicken is done. :D

One of the most overlooked parts of the car during cleaning is the headliner. It often gets dirty so you need to clean the headliner of your car every time you clean the rest of the upholstery to keep it looking and smelling clean. Washing the headliner of your vehicle can be, at best, very tough. The head liner can delaminate very easily if it is cleaned improperly. Source of article: How to clean your car headliner

One way i have found that works is take a green apple cut it in half and place one half in the front of the car and the other in the back if two seater then just place one halfs on each floor board of the car let sit for a day closed up and the apple for some reason will take in alot if not all the smell.

Sometimes after a good cleaning a box of baking soda for a day or two will help as well. That or after cleaning if you have access to an ozone generator, leave that in the car over night and it will take the smell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk