Customer Service 866.965.0400

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Z71_Denali

Question

Post up anything about detailing that just really grinds your gears!!!

You know what really grinds my gears?

Having to clean smudges and streaks from the inside of the windshield! i cannot stand seeing them when i'm driving, they're so distracting, so i clean the whole windshield immediately if i see one! i don't care if the outside of it is dirty, the inside has to be spotless!

:help:

• Answers 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What realy grinds my gears is having a black truck:mad:

I detail it and 2 days later it is filthy, it shows every inperfection and I will never be able to get the paint the exact way i want it. I dont have a garage to park it in, so it gets pollen or dust on it every day, i dont even want to close my door because of finger prints, I could go on and on

I hate black cars so much, but they just look so dam sexy when clean and detailed

The other major thing that grinds my gears is bugs!

In summer there are bugs everywhere, these little tinny bugs called midges (look like mosquitoes), and some little tinny green bug (idk what they are called). They hatch in the AM and die at night. There are clouds of them and you cant avoid them, and they just cover your front bumper and windshield to the point you cant even see. and they are not easy to remove because the heat bakes them to the paint

that's why our daily drivers are WHITE!!! i washed my truck on saturday, i drove it in rain on monday and tuesday, and today it still looks clean!!! :loser:

Guest Gone & Forgotten

people who tell me I took long enough to come up with a clever comment to a thread I just read :mad:

;-)

When my mother thought it would be great to tease me, by having the dog on the leash and let her get closer and closer to my open car door. She let the dog get to close and she slightly scratched my interior plastic trim. I lost it! Yelling and flipping out. Ended up throwing a bottle of VRT which exploded all over the porch. So neatless to say that all that grinds my gears. So last night I ordered another bottle of it.

I don't think I could possibly add to this thread! I can easily claim any one of these. Of all of these, the one that gets me going the worst is the hand prints. Especially if it is my wife. She knows how much time and effort I put into a detail. Oh well. It's nothing some WW or DS couldn't fix!

Also,

1. Rain right after a wash

2. Puddles from sprinklers

3. Other people

4. Other people's kids

5. My wife leaving junk/trash in the truck

I think I could go on and on...

I already save 2/3 of every paycheck I get. The rest is supposed to be my spending money, that I can spend on anything from crack to Adams to mods).

Here, let me fix that for you...

I already save 2/3 of every paycheck I get. The rest is supposed to be my spending money, that I can spend on anything from Adams to Adams to mods).

Much better! :lolsmack:

How about when I'm at a family gathering with a bunch of toddlers running around that don't know that it's bad to touch the car!

I was at a car show this past Saturday, and there were some young kids running around, laying their hands on my paint. I hadn't had time to wash it for about a week, so there was a fine layer of dust on it. Thankfully, they laid their hands on the paint and lifted. No rubbing, and with a later of glaze and wax beneath the dirt, there was at least some protection on the car. But that kind of gentle touch was more than I could say for the adults...

My clear bra installation is not perfect. There are a few stretch marks in it from the application. While I was away looking at other cars, someone thought they would rub at these with their thumb, see if they would come out. This was the result:

BraScratches.jpg

I wish I could say those bright white lines in the center were dirt marks. Those are deep scratches in the bra itself. I hope I can polish them out.

Another G8 owner at the show also did some light rubbing on the paint with his thumb. I didn't check to see if there was any damage.

I typically don't mind a light touch, as the damage is slight, easily corrected, and it allows them to be more involved with the car. But rubbing at perceived imperfections? NO! I had a friend do the same thing after someone actually hit my car and lightly scratched the paint and lightly dented the fender. I ended up fixing the scratches and leaving the slight dents. They're hard to see unless you're up close and I don't trust a body shop.

I might just have to start putting "No touching!" signs on my car and make it a general rule.

All that to say, my two pet peeves - one agreeing with others and one new - are as follows:

• Individuals - adults, specifically - who feel of your paint or painted/cleared mods because they just want to feel it and don't know or care about any damage they may do.
  • Individuals who rub at perceived flaws because they want to "rub them out" with their bare thumb. Your "cure" is worse than the disease!

It really grinds my gears when people email me, or our tips line:

"I have swirl marks in my black car. What is the best wax to hide them? Do you have a black colored wax?

:pc:

Ha ha - it's called shoe polish.

Yeah, that stuff is dismal - polished that black stuff off my HHR when I got it from the dealership. Apparently THEY use it.

bird bombs.

It seems the longer the detail session, the greater chance one shows up on my paint :mad:

I have hit more birds lately. I'm guessing it is the Stealth Gray color of my GMC Sierra. The bad thing is the impact seem s to scare to poop right out of em. :lolsmack:

Nothing like hi velocity bird bomb spatter all over the lights/grill/windshield!

:explode:

My girl that puts her hands all over the doors of my black truck to open and close. Leaving prints all over the outside. I think she does it on purpose cause she uses a different spot everytime. She also drags her feet getting in and scuffs up the plastic rail on the floor board. My truck is dropped yet still cant get in without scuffing everything. RAWR!~~!~!~

But hey we still love em

What realy grinds my gears is having a black truck:mad:

I detail it and 2 days later it is filthy, it shows every inperfection and I will never be able to get the paint the exact way i want it. I dont have a garage to park it in, so it gets pollen or dust on it every day, i dont even want to close my door because of finger prints, I could go on and on

I hate black cars so much, but they just look so dam sexy when clean and detailed

The other major thing that grinds my gears is bugs!

In summer there are bugs everywhere, these little tinny bugs called midges (look like mosquitoes), and some little tinny green bug (idk what they are called). They hatch in the AM and die at night. There are clouds of them and you cant avoid them, and they just cover your front bumper and windshield to the point you cant even see. and they are not easy to remove because the heat bakes them to the paint

People who lean on my car, people who scratch up the passenger size interior plastic, people who leave trash in my car, etc. I banned both of my parents from my car for a month when my mom spilled ginger ale in my back seat and my dad scraped up my center console, and then later, I found them leaning against my freshly detailed paint. No respect.

People who tap the inside of tinted windows as they point, chicks that drag their purses along the glove compartment ( every one I've ever know They must teach this in school I guess), people who want to touch car or lean against car, ask how much you paid for it. I'll stop cause I'm no where near done

The Night shift Detailers at my Limo Company (which run's 24/7-365) get away with everything:

1) Spraying the Limo's with only water then wiping them dry with a old bath towel, :willy:

2) Sleeping in the back lunch room on the clock:mad:

3) Mixing degreaser with window cleaner, and then spraying it under the seats as a Air Freshener because they like the smell:mad:

4) Waxing a car and then spraying it off with high pressure water instead of wiping the residue off. And then a driver the next day wonder's why there is white stuff all over there car for their next run for the morning:mad:

Sprinklers when you're in heavy traffic and can't change lanes fast enough.

^^this, but in a slight variation:

I hate the puddles sprinkles create in the street early in the morning when I'm driving to a meet in a flawlessly detailed car. Sometimes there's no way around them... Ugh!

When I lose 70% of my LSP's initial slickness after the first wash a week later.

That sounds like something we can help you with, start up another thread with details and I bet we can get that problem solved for you :2thumbs:

Idiots. Plain and simple. People who love to worry about your life more than their own, people who constantly piss on your parade, try to crap all over your dreams, who do not make sense in any capacity and who provide NO help at all whatsoever when posting a question on a forum or in person.

Also idiot drivers. To the guy that rolled his utility van in the middle of the highway this morning because it looked like fun and backed my commute up so I was an hour late, thank you. We all appreciate your efforts and I'm sure speeding along was really worth the effort.

I have many, MANY more but I'll save those for later.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Archived