Customer Service 866.965.0400

krewsman & BRZN give a Subaru the old 1-2 PUNCH!

BRZN

Bob had asked me a few times this year if I might be able to spend a day to help him with a full on paint correction to his wife Cindy's 1999 Subaru Forester. Well yesterday was the day!

We'd emailed back and forth a few times during the week to put together our plan of attack. I loaded up the rear of the Magnum Friday evening with Adam's goodies and showed up at our agreed upon time of 8:00am.

IMG_2964Startresize.jpg

As planned Bob had the front Bug Deflector off, the wax stripped with a Dawn wash and had already begun to Clay the front end:

IMG_296602clayingresize.jpg

The paint actually looked pretty good considering the odometer showed 91,000 miles. The cars been treated well and it shows, other than a few minor door dings and scrapes it looked pretty decent.

While completing the Clay Bar process Bob said the paint on the car looks really pretty when polished up. I said something smart like, "it's black, right?" Bob replied the paint was full of metallic: I couldn't see it at that time, and we were both going to be amazed as we worked it.

After we Clay Bared the car we hosed it down and dried it off.

IMG_2967rewashresize.jpg

My usual procedure when claying is to wipe the clay lubricate off with a microfiber as I go. By not doing this to the Subaru, and only hosing the surface down and wiping to dry we were left with some Detail Spray residue on the finish that was tough to distinguish between it and water spots. We should have used detergent and actually washed the car again.

A test spot was done on the hood:

IMG_2972testspotresizeflip.jpg

Before:

IMG_2969swirlsresize.jpg

After:

IMG_2973TestspotSSRresize.jpg

I used my Porter Cable 7424XP and started with the Green Pad and Severe Swirl Remover while Bob followed me with his DA equiped with an Orange Pad and Swirl and Haze Remover.

IMG_2979flipresize.jpg

IMG_2980resize.jpg

I placed the 4" Green focus pad on the PC for a bit and took care of a few areas the 6 3/4" pads weren't going to fit. Bob placed a 4" Orange focus pad on his drill and attacked some areas that needed more attantion than the two DA's were accomplishing. He was feeling pretty gutsy and had me soak some wet sanding paper he used it in a couple spots too.

As the sun continued to rise we lost a lot of our natural shade provided by his house and a large Bradford Pear tree along the driveway so up went the EZ UP canopy:

IMG_2976EZupresize.jpg

The Subaru has a factory roof rack and the middle three rails I polished by hand. The tools used were Swirl and Haze Remover on an Orange Hex-Grip applicator followed by Revive Polish on a Blue Hex-Grip applicator with an occasional spritz of Detail Spray:

IMG_2984rooftoolsresize.jpg

The areas turned out rather nicely I thought:

IMG_2983roofrailsresize.jpg

We took very few breaks throughout the day, two were for a well needed Pizza break and the other was when his neighbors, and mutual friends Vic & Geri, showed up with their purchase of the morning:

IMG_2975Geris02WS6TAresize.jpg

86,700 mile 2002 Pontiac WS6 Trans AM Automatic with an LS1. I half jokingly said give me the keys I want to take that thing out. You can't see in the above picture, but that's me in the drivers seat ready to take off with it. Hey, you don't know unless you ask, right? Nice tight car, they got a deal and had been looking for eight months. I heard Vic saying something about this being my next detail job, I was getting too tired to think that thought through so just pretended I didn't hear him LOL!

Okay, back to work. I primed the White pad with Fine Machine Polish on the front of the roof and then let Bob use it for the rest of this step on the PC. Same as with Vince and his 68 Goat a couple weeks ago: once Bob got started I could hear him mumbling "I gotta get one of these!" Vince sent me a text yesterday stating his Adam's Complete Porter Cable Polisher Kit arrived Friday.

IMG_2988BobFMPPCresize.jpg

While Bob worked the Fine Machine Polish I followed him with Brillant Glaze on a Red Hex-Grip applicator and followed that with Buttery Wax applied with a Yellow Hex-Grip applicator. Check out that metallic, almost makes the car look copperish:

IMG_2986BGresize.jpg

Black mirror:

IMG_2989resize.jpg

Bob had to follow me with Detail Spray as I waxed to remove some of the Buttery that didn't want to release. Even under the canopy the paint got pretty warm which made it hard to wipe completly off. The Detail Spray did the job!

IMG_2993doneresize.jpg

9 1/2 hours for me with another one or so for Bob before I arrived making it about 20 man hours to completion:

IMG_2991doneresize.jpg

IMG_2992doneresize.jpg

Bob, who are Todd and Lou?

IMG_2990TOODLOUresize.jpg

Never mind, what's that old British expression for I'm leaving? I gotta go, oh forget it, I don't think he could hear me, there's a cold beer somewhere with my name on it and my wife's got to have dinner about ready.

IMG_2995Endresize.jpg

Ok, gotta be a smart *** - why didn't you guys work in Bob's garage??

Looks real nice guys!

Inside with a couple fans, a roof and three walls that had windows to magnify the afternoon sun.

vs.

Outside in the shade with a nice breeze most of the day.

There was only a short period of time in the mid/late afternoon when the air got still and it started to get kinda' unbearable. Bob brought out Freezepops and the madness continued!

You guys are crazy doing that in the heat! It was aweful in PA this weekend. I worked the Doylestown show and was soaked through.

It really wasn't that bad, Eric. Inside the garage might have been a different story but the breeze was pretty constant all day. We DID each drink about 5 gallons of water, though. After Dave left I finished up the wheels, tires, and that pesky exhaust tip and was expecting a rainstorm that apparently hit about 3 miles away, missed me completely. :cheers:

Archived