Customer Service 866.965.0400

Auto Insurance - Tell me about your experiences with your carrier.

02Xtreme07ss

The wife and I (that sounds so funny since we're newlyweds :D) are in the process of reviewing :confused: some of our insurance policies (home, landlord, umbrella, auto) and one of the policies that I always have difficulty is with the auto insurance policy. I completely understand the coverages (my aunt was my agent for many years through State Farm), so that part is easy for me. My concern right now is how the insurer treats the policy holder. So, I want to hear from the members here about your experiences with your auto insurance carrier. What I'm really interested in is how the insurer dealt with any claims you may have filed, accidents, customer service, etc, etc.

We're both currently insured by Geico on separate policies (soon to be combined), have had nothing but good experiences with them, but my premiums have increased every year since I switched to them over 5 years ago and for no explainable reason. I've recently found that I could switch to Allstate, increase my coverage, lower my deductibles, and still pay a lower premium...but is it worth it? I'm not adverse to paying a premium for a premium product, but I also don't want to overpay.

Your premiums aren't really the issue here (unless you're just comparing what you paid with one carrier for the same or better coverage with another) because there are too many variables involved to determine them and it would be an apples to oranges comparison at best between one member and the next. I also not really interested in hearing about USAA, NJMFRs, or any other exclusive carriers as not everyone here qualifies for either, but for those who do qualify, please feel free to tell us about your experience with them.

Hopefully what I, and others here, can learn from your experiences with your carriers and make more informed decisions when selecting a carrier in the future. :grouphug:

My personal experience with State Farm is pretty aggressive with their service. I called them once on behalf of my customer and they refused to take the claim from me. Refusal to take a claim is a violation of the Fair Claims Practice Act and could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, etc had I reported them. Instead I just dropped them as my personal carrier and went to GEICO.

My personal experience with State Farm is pretty aggressive with their service. I called them once on behalf of my customer and they refused to take the claim from me. Refusal to take a claim is a violation of the Fair Claims Practice Act and could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, etc had I reported them. Instead I just dropped them as my personal carrier and went to GEICO.

I had them for many years when I was younger and even though my aunt was my agent, I didn't care for them as a carrier much. Switched to AIG in my early 20's and then dropped them following the scandals and their change to 21st Century and have been with Geico ever since.

Well the survey's that go out on our claims are dead serious....and are a part of our goals. We see each and every one that comes back AFTER they have been reviewed by the 3rd party company who sends them out.

They are a pain in the you know what......If someone doesn't agree with my decision on an investigation they can give me all 1's and kill my score.

I can tell you based on our mid review ....there are a few companies that are not doing well financially (allstate, progressive are the first two that come to mind. Progressive is gaining though because of their aggressive advertisement. State Farm is pretty stable too.

Travelers is pretty OK.....

We have Farmer's and couldn't be happier. We had storm damage to the house in '05 and the claims dude was top notch. He kept us up to date every step of the way and followed up months later to make sure there was nothing further we needed. When I had my collision last December in my G8 it was the same experience all over again. They'd really have to f up for me to switch (at this moment) and of course YMMV. BTW: My agent is a great guy too.

Son

Erie Insurance.

We have ALL our insurance with them [several cars, more than a couple of homes, liabilty for me and the wife, life coverage for all of us as well as two businesses] and could not be happier on ALL levels.

Outstanding company to deal with..... for an insurance company.

Honestly, IMHO and experience, I put their customer service on par with Adam's Premium Care Care.

:2thumbs:

logo.gif

PS: will never deal with State Farm, Nationwide or Geico again.... ever!

I used to have Hagerty and they were not good when it came to claims. I have Grundy now, but haven't had a claim to test em out, I'd like to keep it that way! I know my agent (Chuck) through the car world. Everyone at Hagerty is into cars. Plus they're about 2 blocks from my shop!

i've had state farm since i was 16. they aren't overly priced. i pay $250 a month for full coverage and a$250 deductible for the 2 cars in my sig, plus renter's insurance.

i've never had my rate go up due to a traffic ticket, they don't check my credit score, and if i ever make a claim, they don't give me any problems.

when i was 16 i totalled my first car, a 94 pontiac firebird, my deductible at the time was $1000 to keep costs down. since the damages were beyond the value of the car, they wrote me a check and i had it in my hand within a week or two. and that check was actually about $500 more than what i paid for the car 3 months prior! my rate didn't go up afterward since it was only my 1st claim. i haven't had to make one since, luckily!

I have progressive and I love them. The wheels and tires were stolen off my Jeep a year or so ago. $10K worth of stuff and I had a check 4 days later. 2 of those days were a weekend. I pay about $800 every 6 months for the Jeep and the honda. Full coverage, $250 deductibles.

We used to have Liberty Mutual. No problems with them except high premiums when the kids started driving. Got rear ended once, and they repaired the vehicle at a high dollar shop. Got our deductible back after the others insurance paid up.

Switched to American National where I was able to get full coverage for the Thunderbird for less money than basic coverage at Liberty Mutual. I just need to have it appraised every three years. Plus every year (after the first three years) of no claims, I get a refund of my premium back. Haven't had to file a claim yet, so I don't know what their service would be like in that department.

I have State Farm and could not be happier. I first started with them when I was 16, and my dad has had state farm since he was 16. I have been very happy with there service and prices. I currently pay $148 a month total for my 05 Silverado, my 03 tahoe and my house. My rates have only gone down the older I get (which of course is normal when peopel turn 25). They should go down even more now that i am married.

I get a bunch of discounts from them like Multi policy discount and 10 year accident free discount.

I have only been in one at fault accident, that was about 6 years ago and there was another vehicle involved. State Farm payed to fix my truck and the other persons vehicle but they did not put the accident on my record do to the fact that it was my fault but caused by bad weather. I think that another company would have raised my rates. I also had to comprehensive claims within a month of eachother (I hit 2 different deer) and they paid them and there were not problems

The customer service at USAA is absolutely the best of ANY company that I've ever had to deal with (outside of Adam's). I think their rates are great, too, and most years they send you back a refund if their annual payout costs are below expectations. excellent company. :2thumbs:

I agree with Rich. Have had USAA for years. They are great. Hail damage on my house was taken care of with no issues and several no fault accidents. Rates have not increased. Customer service is outstanding.

Sent from the Dark Side using G2/Tapatalk

I have Amica for auto. Full coverage with $500 deductible for 3 vehicles: 2011 Grand Sport Convertible, 2010 Mazda6 and 2005 Toyota 4Runner. Costs $800 every 6 months.

Never filed a claim but they have really good ratings from a financial strength perspective.

Can't imagine paying what some of you are paying... :help:

I've had State Farm since I started driving (about 10yrs) and they have always taken care of me. Rates aren't as bad as most think they are. I had only one bad experience with them. Car was in an accident were the front suspension was damaged from a side impact with a curb. Steering rack was leaking severely and they refused to cover it. The mechanic at the body shop and myself knew for a fact that the rack was damaged during the accident. After a week of arguing with them, they still refused to cover it and considered it a maintenance issue because the tie-rods were still intact. Total BS. I was highly upset and ended up paying for a new rack out of pocket. Despite this incident, I have never had any other problems with them.

Archived