Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finally Getting Around To It

THE Mook

Hello!

Finally, I am getting around to getting my Dad's 2001 F150 Lariat polished out and corrected. I will use this thread to show befores and afters during the whole process.

My plan here is for paint correction as much as I can without wetsand, remedy all the old looking trim, remove water spots from the glass, detail the interior and engine bays, and generally make the thing look better than when he bought it ten years ago!

I will start by saying it has not ever seen clay since he drove it off the lot. It sees (up until recently) mostly drive-thru car washes, and I can put money on it never getting wax...or at least minimal waxing.

Today's Objective:

To clean, clay, and polish the passenger side bed panel. This thing was in rough shape! Welllll, the whole truck is, but this, aside from the hood, looked to be the biggest area of opportunity for me.

Today's Products Used:

Waterless Wash

Claybar

Detail Spray

Flex 3401

Green, Orange, and White Flex Pad

Severe Swirl Remover

Swirl and Haze Remover

Fine Machine Polish

DoubleSoft Towel

Waterless Wash Towel

The process went down like this: I wiped down the panel with Waterless Wash and the according towel, Claybar using Detail Spray as a lubricant, Two passes each of Severe Swirl Remover, Swirl and Haze Remover, and Fine Machine Polish.

The Panel Before:

Lots of Deep Scratching that he and I were both okay with letting go as it's a Daily Driver.

SAM_1106.jpg

The paint over the whole truck is pretty hazed up after 10 years.

SAM_1107.jpg

SAM_1108.jpg

SAM_1109.jpg

OH BABY am I gonna need A LOT of Clay and Detail Spray for this!

SAM_1111.jpg

SAM_1112.jpg

This is just part of the panel after getting my polishing bearings on what the best practice will be for success here.

SAM_1113.jpg

SAM_1114.jpg

THAT is a DEEEEEEEP scratch and it's bothering me bad now.

SAM_1115.jpg

Noticing a difference being made? I sure am!

SAM_1116.jpg

THIS is the whole panel finished up to Fine Machine Polish.

SAM_1117.jpg

SAM_1118.jpg

SAM_1119.jpg

SAM_1120.jpg

That is all for now everyone! My goal is to have this thing complete top to bottom by the end of day on Friday...whilst doing my normal dayjob at the same time! Please check back as tomorrow I will post more results from what I did on the truck then!

Thank You,

Mook

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we're back!

Day 2!

MORN!

So far today, I have completed the tailgate. My process today was the same as yesterday...

WW

Clay with DS

SSR

SHR

FMP

(all on Flex 3401)

Before:

SAM_1124.jpg

SAM_1122.jpg

SAM_1121.jpg

YUP, Clay and Detail Spray a plently!

SAM_1132.jpg

After of the Left side of the Tailgate:

SAM_1128.jpg

SAM_1127.jpg

SAM_1126.jpg

Afters of the Right Side of the Tailgate:

SAM_1136.jpg

SAM_1135.jpg

General Afters of the Entire Tailgate:

SAM_1123.jpg

SAM_1138.jpg

SAM_1137.jpg

SAM_1134.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words already posted, Thank you for stopping back by, and stay tuned! More to come---maybe even today!!

Mook :rockon:

Day 2 Part II!!

I was able to squeeze enough time into the schedule this afternoon to go ahead and get the Passenger's Side Door and Half Door. Same processes as before...big objective here was to pull the stained water spots on the glass.

Befores:

SAM_1145.jpg

SAM_1144.jpg

SAM_1142.jpg

SAM_1141.jpg

SAM_1140.jpg

SAM_1143.jpg

Clay Debris!

SAM_1147.jpg

SAM_1146.jpg

Afters: NO MORE WATER SPOTS! One big scratch on the door left and a smaller one on the half door. Truck is starting to take a new character now that polish is being laid!

The Water Spots were stained pretty hard on there.

SAM_1148.jpg

SAM_1153.jpg

SAM_1152.jpg

SAM_1151.jpg

SAM_1150.jpg

SAM_1149.jpg

From the picture, it's pretty evident which has and hasn't been touched!

SAM_1155.jpg

SAM_1156.jpg

Hello yet again!

Took yesterday off from the detailing of the truck. Back at it today. So far, I have tackled the Driver's side bed panel.

WOW.

Process:

WW

Claybar with DS

2 x SSR

2 x SHR

2 x FMP

(on Flex)

Focus Pads where needed. Yes dangit, I even got the little guys out. This side is a bit more rough than the other, so it's taking a lot for me mentally to let some things go--knowing the only remedy for those places at this point is wetsanding and beyond.

Thanks for stopping by-------again. Someday soon I will have all of this complete! (I can hope)

Before:

SAM_1161.jpg

SAM_1160.jpg

SAM_1159.jpg

SAM_1158.jpg

Clay:

SAM_1162.jpg

SAM_1174.jpg

Some in Betweens:

SAM_1166.jpg

SAM_1169.jpg

SAM_1177.jpg

Afters!:

SAM_1163.jpg

SAM_1164-1.jpg

SAM_1179.jpg

SAM_1178.jpg

SAM_1175.jpg

SAM_1170.jpg

SAM_1165.jpg

With this panel I am pretty pleased. It took me a little longer than I wanted to get this result, however I thought This side was the easy one! :lol:

Onto the Half Door and perhaps the Driver's Side Door here after I throw a munch in my foodhole!

Thanks Again!

Mook

Whew! Been a few days since I checked in here...I spent a decent amount of time on Friday, getting the Driver's Side Door, Half Door, and both fenders complete.

I've pretty much stuck to the same process here as I have the rest of the truck. WW, Clay, SSR, SHR, FMP.

Trying to figure out the best way to get these four panels put up...ah heck with it, why break from what I am doing now.

Befores:

These water spots were STAINED onto the glass and the whole Driver's Side.

SAM_1182.jpg

SAM_1183.jpg

SAM_1193.jpg

SAM_1194.jpg

SAM_1210.jpg

SAM_1214.jpg

Clay and During:

It is clear to me that this Claybar is "Game over man! Game over!" as soon as I am done with this job! Much like the other panels, plenty of branchmarks, swirls, etc.

SAM_1187.jpg

SAM_1195.jpg

SAM_1196.jpg

SAM_1199.jpg

SAM_1202.jpg

SAM_1210.jpg

SAM_1211.jpg

SAM_1212.jpg

Afters: (I know there are only two panels left, but for some sneaking suspicion, I have a feeling they will take me just as long as the rest of the truck did! :banana:)

I am not sure if you will be able to tell from the pics, but the hood is clean. Or at least feels clean. That blue is completely different in shade than the fenders, and rest of the truck now!

SAM_1188.jpg

SAM_1189.jpg

SAM_1190.jpg

SAM_1191.jpg

SAM_1192.jpg

SAM_1202.jpg

SAM_1203.jpg

SAM_1204.jpg

SAM_1205.jpg

SAM_1206.jpg

SAM_1207.jpg

SAM_1208.jpg

SAM_1210.jpg

SAM_1211.jpg

SAM_1212.jpg

SAM_1215.jpg

Thank you again for the kinds words! Like I said, I have two more panels to correct and polish. From there, I know this is bass-ackwards all to heck, but I will then do a nice two bucket wash, get the paint ready for MSS, and then detail the snot out of the rest of the truck! That includes but is not limited to:

Polish all metal

Use Spray Sealant where needed

VRT and In n Out Spray

Clean and Seal Glass

Interior

Engine Bay

Mook

Archived