Customer Service 866.965.0400

The 1966 Pontiac GTO.... A Story......

Adam

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam, if you sell that car, I will never buy a single Adam's product ever again! Not a threat.....a guarantee! I would give up my house my wife and my first born child for that car. (Don't let the wife read this). :lurk:

Read the story and history behind the GTO. Come to Detroit and witness the Woodward Dream Cruise. This car is a an outstanding example of the USA at it's best. My first car was a '65 GTO trip convertible, red and black like yours. I was 15 when I started restoring it, paid $550 for it and my dad drove it home cause I didn't have a license. I knew nothing about restoration and learned by trial and error and other neighborhood kids doing resto's. I remember the day I did a final wet sand of the entire car and took it to Earl Scheib in Detroit for a $29.00 candy apple red paint job. I was soooooo darn proud of that car. It turned out pretty nice with a few bubbles in the paint here in there, but man that thing shined for $29.00. I had a white "PONTIAC" decal on the rear quarter panel and white pinstripes, chrome slotted disc wheels, 60's on the rear and Gabrial "Hi-Jacker" air shocks to lift the rear. The final touch were dual cherry bombs with chrome tail pipe extensions like yours.

I sold the car in 1975 for a $550 downpayment on a Pontiac Astre, the worst car ever made. The worst day of my life!:willy:

Fast forward to today. After driving utility, econo-box rice burners for a decade, I am loving my new Mustang. I still miss my goat, but I found a place that sells guitar straps and wallets made from auto vinyl. Just yesterday, the strap and wallet were delivered to my home. Made from????? 65' and 66' GTO trunk liner vinyl!!!!! Go to "Couch" guitar straps on line and get a wallet for heaven sake, to match that car!!!!!! Don't sell it. Sides, that Pontiac goes great with that red vette you have in the family!!!!

I hear you, and trust me, in a perfect world, before marriage and kids, I would have more classics in the stable! This one is consigned, and will cross the block on THursday sometime before 6PM MST.....it's there, and the only way I can get it back is to be the high bidder, and pay 18% to B-J!!:(

Trust me, there will be another GTO, and it will likely be a 1965, or a 1967, and it will be without question, BLACK!

To move on with the story.... the car came out absolutely amazing, after going through and replacing all non-oem hardware, going back to the stock tires, trim rings, etc. They re-painted the engine, engine compartment, and replaced all hoses, hose clamps, wires, etc with the correct, OEM units.

There was a booger on the left rear quarter panel, which bothered me. The paint had cracked after a poor repair job in 2004, so it was taken down to bare metal, and refinished to perfection. :)

Now, this car looks truly amazing! These are the photos during the time spent at Classic Restoration:

Nick, have him bid on the car!! ;) Thanks again for reading and for kind comments! The last three days before the car left for the auction, I spent at the shop, or running around sourcing the right/ correct parts.

We realized it didn't have the correct T-3 headlamps, and it needed a few other NOS parts that I drove around Denver like a madman sourcing. Then, I spent a few hours under the car, Scotchbriteing the tank, which had a few stains on it.

When it drives across the block, the camera that shows the underside shouldn't be a disappointment now! Finally....after is was literally perfect the entire car was sanded, buffed, and polished. (They use our goods, certainly, and the top coat was Brilliant Glaze.) I may lay on a coat of Americana when I get there on Wednesday...

:thumbsup:

Absolutely, the team at Classic were unbelievable...these guys have incredible talent, and here, I will introduce them. In order,

Luis (I call him Luigi!) is the MAN when it comes to refinishing, detailing, assembly, disassembly, you name it! He was incredibly helpful, and has a, 'I can do that, give me 20min' attitude towards just about anything. Thank you Luigi!!

Scott has his own business in Colorado, but for the winter, is helping out here at Classic. He builds awesome hot rods, and knows exactly what steps needed to be taken to make everything right. He pulled apart, then re-assembled the motor several times to ensure it was perfect. When installing the new headlamps, they were done several times to make sure they were all aligned perfectly. Thank you very much Scott!!

Juan is the upholstery man...and he is amazing! I watched him work carefully on a perfect 1955 300SL Convertible while I was there, and everything he touched was literally perfect. He dialed in some of the interior needs on the GTO, and didn't disappoint in the least. Gracias Juan!!

Doug is the General Manager at Classic, and he is as cool as this picture suggests. A true gentleman to work with, and always positive. Everything we needed, he arranged, and we got the car out the door as promised, on time. Bravo Doug, and thanks for your business too!

Last photo is of Jack Farland and I. He is the founder, and was detailing longer than I did before he started this company. His work is exceptional, and everything he touches leaves his shop without excuses. Jack and I enjoyed lunch a few times with his wife Trina, the office manager/ Controller. She is cool as beans too! Thank you Jack and Trina, for your kindness, and for taking such incredible care of us when the bill was paid. You have earned my recommendations with confidence, and we are sure to bring more vehicles your way!

:cheers:

I want to watch the auction just to see the Adam's folks fight off the brand X guys in the staging line! :pc::lancer:

Adam, you should throw in a detail kit as part of the sale (get the brand out there!). Maybe some Adam's stickers in various places (like that nice clean fuel tank!).

Found some more photos of the night the car arrived in Colorado!

Thanks to Chris and Mario for offloading after hours...you guys are awesome!:thumbsup:

Once, our kids even took it out for a drive!:burnout:

Adam that GTO is just assume. I'm sure that you will shed a small tier when she goes across the auction block. I'm also sure that one day you will have another and black that is just the most assume color for any car especially the GTO. Best luck at the auction. Someone is going to get a wonderful car.

I saw on Speed Tv they are covering the auction on Tuesday from 7pm-12 am EST. Any idea if the car will covered on the program?

I hear you, and trust me, in a perfect world, before marriage and kids, I would have more classics in the stable! This one is consigned, and will cross the block on THursday sometime before 6PM MST.....it's there, and the only way I can get it back is to be the high bidder, and pay 18% to B-J!!:(

Trust me, there will be another GTO, and it will likely be a 1965, or a 1967, and it will be without question, BLACK!

To move on with the story.... the car came out absolutely amazing, after going through and replacing all non-oem hardware, going back to the stock tires, trim rings, etc. They re-painted the engine, engine compartment, and replaced all hoses, hose clamps, wires, etc with the correct, OEM units.

There was a booger on the left rear quarter panel, which bothered me. The paint had cracked after a poor repair job in 2004, so it was taken down to bare metal, and refinished to perfection. :)

Now, this car looks truly amazing! These are the photos during the time spent at Classic Restoration:

Do you have any undercarriage photos? How about the trunk area?

In a previous post, I posted a trunk photo, and we don't have any undercarriage shots! Only this one of me cleaning it!

:thumbsup:

Coverage doesn't start here till 7 pm EST. So I guess we're out. But I'm sure someone will watch and post up pics.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!! wow...that ruins my day. screw you speed coverage.:mad:

edit, i jumped the gun too quick....see that 5:30 is MST AKA 7:30(i think?) EST.

Archived