Customer Service 866.965.0400

The 1966 Pontiac GTO.... A Story......

Adam

We have had a great relationship with the guys at RM Auctions America for a while now, and when they asked us to do the detailing at their Carlisle, PA event in October, we agreed with gusto!

While I was there, looking around the cars on the display, one in particular caught my eye...a red '66 GTO Convertible. I've been watching them on Ebay, and in the Sports Car Market Magazine for years, and the prices have been lofty.

Well, this particular car was restored in 2004, and since, had been driven under 1,000 miles. The beautiful car had a 4-speed, and 3X2bbl (Tri-Power) carbs. Top was perfect, interior was clean, and I walked around the car a few thousand times....

Well, a few great friends, and good customers, Bill and John from New Hampshire were at the show, and agreed to join me at the auction on Friday evening. Each had a favorite car, Bill liked a late model Pontiac G8, and John had his eye on a nice 64 Buick..... (Last photo is of them checking out the G8...these guys had me laughing all night!)

I, however, couldn't stop thinking about the GOAT.... When it went across the stage, it was a no-sale, and didn't meet the reserve. The paint looked terrible in the lights, like someone used a Scotch-Brite pad on the entire passenger side. Couldn't see that under the tent, and I walked up to the car, rubbed my fingers on it to feel how deep the scratches were. Nothing serious.

We were having a blast, even though the rain was coming down like crazy, and the seats were about 20% filled. Hardly anything was selling actually, as the weather was terrible, and the roads were awful.....

Right after the car left the stage, I went to talk to our friends at RM...Ken Wallace and Ed Cepuran. I said something to the effect of, "Guys, if I was offer a conservative number of X for the car, could you make it happen? They were happy to drop the commissions, and get us the car!

Whoooaaaa, the feeling of signing the paperwork gave me the chills! So, we bought a '1966 GTO, now what? Well, we were off to visit my wife's family for 10 days after the show, and I wouldn't be able to scratch up the $$ until I returned, and they said that was not a problem. (They are truly awesome to work with.)

So.....this story will be delivered in a few segments, as Melissa is nearly asleep here next to me in bed, annoyed with my typing....anyway, stay tuned for more, and these are the photos I took with the phone the night we bought the car:

:thumbsup:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story continues.....

Well, the car looked perfect under the tent, and ever started and ran okay there. However, once our outstanding friend, and mechanic, Russ at Carlisle Events took it out for a drive, it didn't exactly run as nice as it looked!

It was restored completely in 2004, then driven 750 miles since...all of the fluids were old, and it needed a major carburetor job, tune up, etc. After Russ spent a weekend getting to run perfectly, I flew out to take it for a drive on the Carlisle fairgrounds....what an awesome car to drive!

Along with long time friends, Chuck and Jason Coulson, father and son, we polished and photographed the car.....and drove it like I stole it around the Carlisle Fairgrounds!

:burnout:

Thanks Chris! Once the car was photographed, and detailed, I came home to discuss an important thing with my wife.....living in Boulder, and how she ware ready to change home towns......

Well, Louisville, Colorado is a neat little town with about 1/6th the population of Boulder. Not quite so liberal, and not quite so expensive. Crazy thing is, the schools in Louisville are top rated, and houses cost about half. No parking meters, no traffic, and our church is close-by.....

Well, the new GTO suddenly looks like it might become a down payment on a house, and the saga continues!

:willy:

Thanks Chris! Once the car was photographed, and detailed, I came home to discuss an important thing with my wife.....living in Boulder, and how she ware ready to change home towns......

Well, Louisville, Colorado is a neat little town with about 1/6th the population of Boulder. Not quite so liberal, and not quite so expensive. Crazy thing is, the schools in Louisville are top rated, and houses cost about half. No parking meters, no traffic, and our church is close-by.....

Well, the new GTO suddenly looks like it might become a down payment on a house, and the saga continues!

:willy:

I HEAR ya brother... Family first right? :2thumbs: Small town living rocks. Our area here includes 4+ towns all in one and is called the Quad Cities. We have around 400,000 people here and I love the lack of traffic and crime.

With our new house purchase we're thinking almost 100% about Eli and what ever other children we have. Schools and neighborhoods are key! :2thumbs:

Make sure you get at least a 3 car garage... I see many cars in your future... :xfingers: Mine too! :)

Ohhhh yeah, 3 car garage is key!!:thumbsup:

Yep! Nice house! :2thumbs:

I remember buying my current home 12 years ago and a two car was key... Now that I have three cars and three motorcycles, a three car is key. Any more than that and I'd be changing oil and washing everyday of the week... :lolsmack:

Archived