Customer Service 866.965.0400

what towel to wipe IPA alcohol with?

3PedalMINI

Question

Ive searched for over 20mins and cant find a single thread about what towel to wipe with.

can i use a single soft towel? or will that mess the MF up? i had WW towels but little bro decided it would be smart to wipe up spilled beer off the ground when he had his friends over:loser: so they have ben exiled to the sh!t bin along with my GWDT.

I FMP'ed the mini up today and even after revive there are some polishing oils left.

23 answers to this question

You don't have to every time. The sealant, yes, it's a good idea to make sure you have a clean surface to bond to. If you have a good coat of wax on there, that's only a few weeks old for instance, there is no reason you can't apply another coat of wax without any issues. Wax doesn't bond, like the sealant does.

Thanks Dave!

So any time you are about to put on sealant/wax you do an IPA wipe down? Man! The things you can learn on this forum!!!

You don't have to every time. The sealant, yes, it's a good idea to make sure you have a clean surface to bond to. If you have a good coat of wax on there, that's only a few weeks old for instance, there is no reason you can't apply another coat of wax without any issues. Wax doesn't bond, like the sealant does.

Ok so my next question would be why IPA? I'm going to guess that this is something people use as a method of cleaning polish/wax/sealant off of a vehicle. Is this similar to the same result achieved by washing with Dawn dish washing liquid? If so, why not just wash the car with Dawn?

A couple of reasons:

• strip and single panel or section for repolishing or wax
  • Dawn can be harsh on trim if used too often
  • it's quick!

Some other brands polishes have more fillers and/or oils than Adam's does, so many do an IPA wipedown after polishing, before they apply a sealant or wax.

Ok so my next question would be why IPA? I'm going to guess that this is something people use as a method of cleaning polish/wax/sealant off of a vehicle. Is this similar to the same result achieved by washing with Dawn dish washing liquid? If so, why not just wash the car with Dawn?

its to strip any remaining polishing oils from the paint to give the sealant/wax a better bond with the paint so that it lasts longer.

+2 Single's

I've used them quite a bit for IPA wipedown's and they work great. No noted affects on the towels yet either. Mine usually sit for a month or so before getting washed, since I have so many of them.

Wiped up beer and relegated the towels to the sh!t bin? Pre-treat with some APC, perhaps soak them overnight in some Woolite, wash them and use them. If you're not really using them anymore let me know, I'll pm you my address and will pay the shipping! :D

When I chemical strip wax I apply/work it with either a microfiber applicator or small microfiber mesh mit and wipe it off with a waterless wash or single soft towel.

what he said!

Wiped up beer and relegated the towels to the sh!t bin? Pre-treat with some APC, perhaps soak them overnight in some Woolite, wash them and use them. If you're not really using them anymore let me know, I'll pm you my address and will pay the shipping! :D

When I chemical strip wax I apply/work it with either a microfiber applicator or small microfiber mesh mit and wipe it off with a waterless wash or single soft towel.

Ive searched for over 20mins and cant find a single thread about what towel to wipe with.

can i use a single soft towel? or will that mess the MF up? i had WW towels but little bro decided it would be smart to wipe up spilled beer off the ground when he had his friends over:loser: so they have ben exiled to the sh!t bin along with my GWDT.

I FMP'ed the mini up today and even after revive there are some polishing oils left.

Why did you trash your great white? Did your brother have a harry buffalo party?

Archived