Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Additions to the Family

Osok

Well..along with the love of American muscle my wife and I now share (see: http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/cars/18857.htm) we also have been waiting quite awhile to start shooting together.

She's had her carry permit for years and has been on me for awhile to get mine so we can start shooting together. Not sure why it took me so long but finally applied, got it this past May (which is a record for New York State).

Last Saturday we hopped in the car (her car this time) and decided to hit a couple of local gun shops. We had a rough idea what we wanted but as new shooters were open to learning as much as we can.

To make a long story short(er) two store visits and 3 hrs of talking later we bought our first handguns! We're both beyond excited and plan to put a LOT of rounds down range through these over the next many many years together. It actually was good timing since yesterday was our 14th wedding anniversary so we opted to call these our gifts to eachother.

Here's our new babies...Glock 19 for me, a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 for her and an additional Ruger SR22 for dirt cheap practice time and plinking.

Picture is just a blurry cell pic but you get the point.

g19bgsr22.jpg

Great pieces Paul! I'm torn between the Bodyguard .380, and the Ruger .380. Did you compare those two, and if so what pushed you to the S&W?

I had the privilege to put about 50 rounds through a new Springfield Armory XD-S single stack .45 Tuesday evening. A buddy went for his hunting license that night and the store just got their first one in. That's a great piece too...

Great pieces Paul! I'm torn between the Bodyguard .380, and the Ruger .380. Did you compare those two, and if so what pushed you to the S&W?

I had the privilege to put about 50 rounds through a new Springfield Armory XD-S single stack .45 Tuesday evening. A buddy went for his hunting license that night and the store just got their first one in. That's a great piece too...

She was looking at the Shield/Bodyguard/G26 but one of the store guys suggested to look at the LC9 and LCP as well. After seeing them my wife narrowed it down to the LCP and the Bodyguard. She chose the bodyguard because it's got an integrated laser and an additional manual safety which she wanted for peace of mind for her appendix carry.

What's a 'carry permit'?

In many states you need a permit approved by the state to be able to own and carry a firearm. In NY you can own rifles (with many restrictions) but you can't own any pistol without the concealed carry permit. NY is a concealed carry state vs an open carry (like Colorado) so if we carry we need to have it on us but completely hidden from sight.

Nice.

My Springfield Armory XD Subcompact .40 is awesome. They make some badass handguns.

Make sure you load those things with Corbons for your self defense.

Dakota Ammo

I looked at the XDM and the XDS. I really liked the 9mm XDM as well but tough to dispute the joy and simplicity of a Glock which is why i opted for the G19. I'm running Speer Gold Dot personal protection 147gr loads in my G19 when I carry and the wife will be running Hornaday Critical Defense loads in her bodyguard when she carries.

Nice buy Paul. I just purchased a glock 17 gen 4, S&W M&P 9mm Pro, M&P .40 and M&P .22lr.

Can wait to take them all out to the range

Nice purchases there as well! The 17 is the big brother to the 19 so I'm sure that'll be nice. I opted for the 19 because I wanted to conceal carry it. Let me know how the M&P .22 is. I wasn't aware there was an M&P .22.

Great buys Paul!

I just picked up a M&P .40 ..I already have a Bodyguard 380 and love it.

Good to hear there are a handful of folks here with the bodyguard and loving it. My wife will be happy to hear that.

One thing that's tough for a new buyer now is that there aren't any stores that have ranges in them anymore or ranges that rent much of any firearms to anyone without a permit. So as a new buyer we're faced with reading a lot of reviews getting feedback and just going with our gut on our purchases. No more "try before you buy" here in NY.

What's a 'carry permit'?

In most states you need a permit to carry a firearm

Of course you live in Illinois which is the only state in the Union that does not allow carry permits

Very Nice Collection BTW. I to have a Glock 19 and love it.

Paul, I should be getting my M&P .22 tomorrow. I'll take some pics.

For the gun guys here, does anyone use talon grips?

I have talon grips on my XD9 sub compact. I went with the rubber texture and like it alot.

I have talon grips on my XD9 sub compact. I went with the rubber texture and like it alot.

How is the rubber compared to the sandpaper texture? I haven't tried either of them, but I was looking to get some. Problem is, they don't ship to Canada.

I wasn't sure after I purchased the Talon grips but after going with the rubber I like it. Feel more in control.

To me they feel like they are soft enough for comfort but not overboard & stiff enough for strength.

Our Friend has a Gun Shooting Range and he teaches people how to shoot. He trains SWAT, local police departments, gun safety courses and he even has classes for woman only.

He has an online store and he even makes some sort of special holsters for concealed weapons.

The key to a gun is knowing where to hold the grip, how to shoot it properly, and where the safety is. :2thumbs:

that permitting process is brutal! in Texas, if you go to buy a gun, you leave with it that day. the turn around is pretty quick, the permits come through almost instantly. and a concealed handgun license only takes 8 hours of your day for a class and a shooting test every few years.