Customer Service 866.965.0400

americana wax and Distilled water?

ASH10

Question

I had just recently heard about a procedure that is suppose to make the shine really pop! After applying and removing americana wax it was described to wipe the car down with chilled distilled water and that it reacts with the carnuba to really bring a really impressive shine...... has anyone ever heard of this?:confused:

16 answers to this question

Hmm. Wonder why this process works. What's the science?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The science behind "spit shinning" is similar, which utilizes chilled water or a quick detailer (a quick detailer without solvent action or cleaning ability) in some instances. The theory behind spit shinning is to apply a coat of wax, and then mist ice cold distilled water on the surface and re-wax the panel. The ice water neutralizes the solvents and prevents the wax from smearing or bonding through the previous layer, instead, bonding on top of it, and thus creating an secondary layer.

However, I have heard of just misting ice cold water to remove any hazing and to ensure the wax is completely removed without interfering with the actual bonding (like a Detail Spray might do]. I don't know if that adds anything though.

And most popular sealants on the market advise prolonged curing periods without contact with moisture, so this technique is probably just limited to Carnauba waxes.

Back in the sixties my neighbor used this technique but only sprayed the car with a light mist from the hose after waxing. He thought it helped cure the wax and made the shine really stand out. I know he used a paste wax, but not sure if it was a Carnauba or not. I suspect it was, since he owned an auto parts store and was pretty knowledgeable about all things auto. However, I never really got into an in depth conversation about this technique, since I was only in my early teens and had not yet fallen in love with cars and become a motorhead!

I don't know if there is any science involved, but the process seems a lot like spit shining my boots when I was in the Army. I know it worked for the boots.

I learned this from my Uncle who was in the Army during the Korean war. It does work. I too did the same thing while going through Boot Camp. We didn't have any ice in the barracks but would use the coldest water we could get from a faucet. $5.00 to shine a pair of boots X's 13 weeks gave me a lot of money before we graduated.

This may sound crazy but when I was riding my Harley and was preparing to be in a parade or some formal gathering, I had a special pair of danner boots just for this reason.

I would take the Kiwi "Parade Polish," lay a piece of newspaper on the floor and lean back against my recliner. I'd then take the lid off the polish, put one half of an ice cube with water into the lid. Taking a very soft and old tee-shirt, wrapping that around two fingers, I would just barely get the tee-shirt wet.

Prior to this I would put about three coats of polish all over the boots, letting each coat dry and then buff it off. This gave me my "base coat."

I would then get just enough of the polish on the wet, cold t/shirt and start going in circles on the toe areas. Once I got a shine that I actually could see my face on it ~ a little blurry though ~ then I would finish doing the entire boot.

I would even take the boot laces out and spit shine the tongues.

With the leather chaps and vest I would use leather cleaner. Lay them out and put three coats of the Kiwi polish on them, again waiting for each layer to dry. I would then rub the leather with ice cubes, put one more layer on, ice cubes again and then buff with a soft brush. The ice would make the polish "set up."

Some of the older Harley riders wouldn't speak to me and if they did, they made it very clear that I didn't deserve to be riding a Harley.

Even today when I know I will be wearing a pair of dress shoes, slacks, etc, I always spit shine both black and brown shoes.

My Dad told me a very very long time ago that you could tell a good man by the way his shoes looked ~ "Debatable to say the least."

Finally, I saved this article for my best friend who I use to ride with. Going to try this method on his Harley this winter. Far far less sections to do.

Edited by Corners

Funny you bring up shining boots and shoes, I learned the same technique when I was in college for shining boots and shoes. I would usually "burn" the polish first, if there wasn't much of a base coat on whatever I was shining. Learn the polish harden slightly and then apply it to the shoe. would allow some drying time then begin the old tee shirt and water technique. Dip the tee in the water to just slightly get it wet and then work in small circles until the polish shined. If the shine was not up to my reflection standard I would again apply very light coats of polish and then buff with the damp tee in small circles, it was time consuming but I always had an outstanding shine for inspection. Just FYI, I learned this technique in college....The Citadel.

Funny you bring up shining boots and shoes, I learned the same technique when I was in college for shining boots and shoes. I would usually "burn" the polish first, if there wasn't much of a base coat on whatever I was shining. Learn the polish harden slightly and then apply it to the shoe. would allow some drying time then begin the old tee shirt and water technique. Dip the tee in the water to just slightly get it wet and then work in small circles until the polish shined. If the shine was not up to my reflection standard I would again apply very light coats of polish and then buff with the damp tee in small circles, it was time consuming but I always had an outstanding shine for inspection. Just FYI, I learned this technique in college....The Citadel.

You went to college for shining boots? No wonder you're a detail nut! :lolsmack:

I :patriot: you for going to the Citadel. :2thumbs:

You went to college for shining boots? No wonder you're a detail nut! :lolsmack:

A lot of people learn to party in college. I learned to polish shoes and belt buckles, strip and wax decks, iron creases into uniforms, and many other exciting things. When we'd tell people that we had a stripper in our room we were referring to something like this:

pacesetter%20HD.jpg

:lol:

In my professional opinion it really doesn't do much for the shine at all.

The reason to work distilled ice water into a carnauba wax application is to cool the panel down if applying hot weather and/or cool/harden a layer of wax before layering over another coat.

If I'm stacking Americana for a show car (usually 2-3 coats) I will do a distilled ice water wipe down before the first coat. Again after that coat is removed, then apply the second coat.

All this talk about wiping in between with DW because it has no solvents. Will putting a layer of Americana on and then buff it off with detail spray take off some of the wax? Should you always buff it off dry and then detail?

If it won't take the wax off, I would think the detail spray would give you a better shine maybe right? Maybe put a couple 16oz Detail spray bottles in an ice cooler and try a variation.