Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner vs Sonax Full Effect

dsmith2013

Question

I should start off by saying, Dylan, if this post isn't allowed on this forum, please delete it and I completely understand (please don't hit me with the ban hammer). However, I thought some people might be interested to see how your new DWC directly compares to the competition.

I got my hands on some severely neglected Audi wheels and figured this would be a perfect time for a direct comparison of Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect. I let each dwell for an equal amount of time and then agitated it with Adam's boar's hair brush.

Sonax Full Effect

IMG_0899_zpsdd64703d.jpg

IMG_0900_zpsf9969a68.jpg

IMG_0901_zps29b5ce93.jpg

IMG_0902_zps314ed3d1.jpg

IMG_0903_zps6dd754b9.jpg

IMG_0904_zps4f5fd32e.jpg

IMG_0908_zpsa4780426.jpg

IMG_0910_zps9f8880b8.jpg

Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

IMG_0890_zps5dce4058.jpg

IMG_0891_zpsacc85900.jpg

IMG_0893_zpsb6c8f38e.jpg

IMG_0897_zps82366309.jpg

IMG_0898_zpsb283eb56.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsdf3abc63.jpg

IMG_0912_zpse3e5f878.jpg

In my opinion, the performance was identical. There were some embedded particles on the wheels that neither cleaner removed. I was pressed for time and was only able to allow each of the cleaners to dwell for a little over two minutes. I think a longer dwell time might have put a larger dent in it, but I dont think anything short of claying would remove it completely. However, I would give a slight edge to Adam's because it smells better, however, the price point is almost identical per ounce at $0.6246 per ounce vs Sonax FE which is $0.5914 per ounce.

Edited by dsmith2013

I believe you may get those other particles off with APC. Dylan was saying that the APC will attack the grease and other stuff not meant for specific cleaning by DWC if it possibly got mixed in with some dirt or brake dust and adhered to the rim.

May be worth a shot.

Hmm interrrrresting! I think the Adams gave the wheel more of a shine when done compared to Sonax! To me I would rather have Adams but thats just my opinion.

To be fair, the Adam's side was in the sun and the Sonax in the shade, but in person, both were identical. But yes, I also use a ton of Adam's products and I would buy more of this over the Sonax.

I'm patiently waiting for mine to see how it compares to IronX...

Been interested to try DWC against TRiX I have here. Although I don't have any german cars on the schedule, so I may hold off on ordering until after my next detail.

I've tried both as well. I've always thought SFE was ok. Better than Green Wheel Cleaner hands down. But DWC works a tad slower but to me it gives the weeks a nice "glossy" look to them.

Thanks for a great write-up! Very fair, and Sonax was one of the main products we aimed to out-perform....while maintaining 100% safety.

Again, thanks for an accurate and fair comparison!:thumbsup:

I feel honored to have the master himself comment on the thread I also have commented on :bow:

Thanks for the write up Chris. This looks like you did a fair analysis of them both.

I had used Sonax before and had different results when compared to the new Adams DWC.

Wish I had pictures to compare but I left both products on my brother in-laws caked on brake dust for about 5 minutes. I seen a better results with the New Adams DWC. Maybe it was the length of time but the corners would not come clean with the Sonax. I ended up using APS

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Compare DWC against APC and GWC

That's a good topic for a write up.

I don't have wheels that get that dirty or I'd do it.

Lets Pin Adams products against themselves.

Compare DWC against APC and GWC

That's a good topic for a write up.

I don't have wheels that get that dirty or I'd do it.

Lets Pin Adams products against themselves.

IMO it's kind of hard to get accurate results for that. By no means am I an expert on this but from what I've gathered they all have different purposes. DWC specifically targets the metallic particles in brake dust, with the harshest yet safest method. It's also a gel type of cleaner that is made to dwell in one place while it works.

Green wheel cleaner from my understanding is a much more safer alternative to DWC if you don't need to remove a ton of brake dust. It's also much safer for those of us who clay and QS our wheels to make cleaning easier.

And APC targets different substances like grease but not specifically made to target metallics for deep cleaning.

They all have their different functions. I guess another way to put it would be saying "compare bg to mss". Both are great products but do different things.

The deep wheel cleaner is not a gel! With a forceful quick spray it does foam up some but that's all. The DWC is specific to get the baked on iron deposits from brakes off. It can also clean similar to the green wheel cleaner with agitation. All cleaners really need agitation to dou their job.

Yep, not a gel... I received my gallon yesterday. I plan to use it on the paint more than the wheels. I don't have the issue with my wheels since 95% of my driving is on the highway. Smells great though!

Edited by Chewy

Yes I have a gallon as well. I'm not saying IT IS a gel, I'm saying its like a gel as in it turns thick and sticks to the surface as opposed to a liquid like APC that is thin and runs. Sorry for the confusion.

It doesnt look like you hit the barrels of the wheels too well with either product.  That is a true test of the performance, as well as the calipers.  I agree with what I think Jon is eluding to; A fair comparison would be front to front, rear to rear.  Maybe give that a try?  ;)

It doesnt look like you hit the barrels of the wheels too well with either product.  That is a true test of the performance, as well as the calipers.  I agree with what I think Jon is eluding to; A fair comparison would be front to front, rear to rear.  Maybe give that a try?  ;)

He did do the fronts. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  Look at the pictures.  Sonax on the driver side and Adam's on the passenger side.

He did do the fronts. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  Look at the pictures.  Sonax on the driver side and Adam's on the passenger side.

I have been looking and comparing at all his pictures for awhile and just wasn't sure. I was curious because the wheel that was treated with Sonax appeared to have a smaller brake caliper. The wheel with the DWC clearly shows the size of the caliper. 

I have been looking and comparing at all his pictures for awhile and just wasn't sure. I was curious because the wheel that was treated with Sonax appeared to have a smaller brake caliper. The wheel with the DWC clearly shows the size of the caliper. 

I think the angle is throwing you off.

Definitely the front bumper in both of the pictures.