Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advice - Gallon of GWC or DWC?

rimz808

Question

K guys, i plan to get the gallon kit at my local Adam's polish dealer this coming weekend for my bday.

My question is, which gallon of wheel cleaner should i get? I regularly maintain/wash my 3 cars. My newest BMW doesn't have much brake dust on them since i regularly wash my wheel whenever i give it a wash. I heard the GWC doesnt really get rid of brake dust? If that's the case, should i just get the gallon of DWC just in case later on i do need something stronger? Would Adam's car shampoo mixed with water be a sufficient wheel cleaner, and thus i dont need the GWC? I've never used any Adam's product besides the Detail Spray and Polish, so this is all new to me.

In addition, my gallons that i plan to get are:

Car shampoo

Waterless Wash

All purpose

Detail

Either GWC or DWC.

What you think of those? (BTW - i live in Hawaii, so economically it's wiser for me to get the gallons since i can get it at my local dealer instead of having to pay double for shipping).

Mahalo for any advise,

Ryan

21 answers to this question

Yeah, they both serve different purposes kinda. The GWC is perfect for maintenance, and just overall dirty wheels. But the DWC is more for heavy brake dust, neglected, and superbly soiled wheels. ALONG WITH being a great paint cleanser and clay bar additive. IMO you need both for different reasons. But if ya gotta get just ONE, then I'd say the DWC because of its multipurpose use. :)

I bought a bottle of DWC at Carlisle yesterday and tried it today. Used it on 2 wheels and GWC on the other 2. Both worked well, but I didn't notice any difference between the 2. It didn't change color at all. Guess my wheels were too clean. I'll save the DWC for really bad wheels and use GWC for normal use. So, if you're going to buy a gallon, my vote is GWC.

I bought a bottle of DWC at Carlisle yesterday and tried it today. Used it on 2 wheels and GWC on the other 2. Both worked well, but I didn't notice any difference between the 2. It didn't change color at all. Guess my wheels were too clean. I'll save the DWC for really bad wheels and use GWC for normal use. So, if you're going to buy a gallon, my vote is GWC.

If you don't have brakes with a high amount of metallic content (sports car brakes, most European cars, aftermarket upgraded sets) then you won't see much, if any color change.

People keep overlooking a huge reason for even buying this product because of the name. Should have been called Deep Wheel & Paint Cleaner or something lol.

Get the DWC over the Green. This stuff has MORE than one use people!

So what exactly is the difference between the two (DWC vs. GWC)?  I'm assuming (hate that word) that DWC has more cleaning power but am curious about the long term effect on clear coated wheels.

DWC is for really heavy metallic deposits, like if you have thick, caked on brake dust. It almost acts like a de-ironizer.

Most people only need GWC. As long as you only clean the wheels when they are cool to the touch, rinse the wheel thoroughly, and don't allow the cleaner to dry on the surface, you should have no issues wither either.

Thanks Gerry!  After I get through this newly ordered gallon of DWC I'll go back to GWC.  My brakes don't seem to generate significant brake dust and my Pearl is not a DD so I'm thinking the GWC will do me just fine. 

I made a decent post a few weeks back, and I should do an FAQ on which wheel cleaner is right for you. If you have ceramic pads swapped onto the vehicle, chances are DWC is too much. Like throwing a .50cal at an ant hill...

Remember to always try least aggressive first, then step up when needed. I really only use DWC on cars when the wheels say so. It's about 50/50 between when I use that or GWC.

I have both and the green wheel cleaner works fine on my STI wheels if I keep up on them every few days. If I get behind out comes the deep wheel cleaner. Having both is the best option if possible for you.

If the green wheel cleaner can help keep STI wheels clean, then believe me, it will work for any car.

On a side note: I have used 6 metallic/iron fighting wheel cleaners including Adam's and the 5 other ones smell like death. Adam's does not, so that's why I stick with it; plus it works fantastic.

Do gwc its cheaper and gets it done on my volk rims for my gtr.  I've used dwc, did ok but i got some stains on one of my stock rims, still have to get around to using revive or buttery wax to see if it'll come off or not.  Worked fine though on my tundra and wifes toureg.  

Last weekend I used the spray sealant on my wheels and noticed later in the day that small spots appeared on the finish.  With some elbow grease these spots came out and I'm wondering if the DWC would be appropriate to remove the spray sealant and try it again?