Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dylan, about the Patriot Wax containers...

dsmith2013

Question

I spoke with Ashley a few minutes ago, and she wasn't sure, so I figured I would ask you. I wanted to buy the Patriot Wax because I think the container is about the neatest thing I've ever seen. My question was if I buy it and use it all up, is there a way you guys could refill it? I don't know if you guys are planning on offering this Patriot Wax in the future after the 250 containers are sold, but if not, would it be possible to get it refilled with Americana even? Worst case scenario, I guess I could melt the Americana myself and pour it in there, but I'm not sure if that would negatively affect the wax. I was going to e-mail you, but I figured a couple more people might have the same question. Thanks in advance. :patriot:

This has been asked a few times and while we haven't ruled it out there are some challenges with shipping it back and forth for refills. Mostly I'm concerned with the potential for damage or loss in transit... its not like we're turning out extras to replace it if something were to happen.

Also the patriot wax itself is rather pricey and complicated to make so thats also a consideration. Its also a large part of why this was done as a limited run to start.

Again, not totally ruling out the possibility of refills or even a run of patriot after the 250 are gone, but its not a certainty either.

You could do a refill kit that comes in a plastic container just a touch smaller than the opening on the Patriot container. This would allow the refill to drop in.

Just an idea....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.

I tried the heat gun trick to melt it in order to reset the wax and rid myself of cracks. It failed miraculously and changed the properties of the wax. It was smooth, hard, and would not transfer to my americana applicators at all. It went straight into the trash. Luckily, Matt sent me another container. I never intend to manipulate the wax in any way again.

I tried the heat gun trick to melt it in order to reset the wax and rid myself of cracks. It failed miraculously and changed the properties of the wax. It was smooth, hard, and would not transfer to my americana applicators at all. It went straight into the trash. Luckily, Matt sent me another container. I never intend to manipulate the wax in any way again.

I figured it might do something weird. I was looking at the Patriot Wax video and seeing them pour the wax in complete liquid form, and thought you might have to do it that way. I don't know if that would work better, but I'm sure someone might know.

Honestly, I didnt think it would. I believe the ingredients separated when I melted it. Something had to have occured in order for it to form a hard, smooth layer on top. Even if I scraped it off and found softer material below, the wax would not perform as intended. Lesson learned for sure.

I was instructed to melt it the way I did. An Adams employee no less.

Theres a discussion thread somewhere here on AF where the method of attempting to melt americana for repour is only really recommended to be tried with a candle warmer (Scentsy makes one that works well) Theres also the floating pot in boiling water method, which is risky, but effective.

I'd love to know who told you to use a heat gun. (feel free to PM me if you prefer) It just won't work to completely melt it since you can't get the heat even and slow enough to keep the ingredients from completely separating out. We'll use heat guns to free an americana from its pot, but thats really only to soften the wax a little so it pops out, not to completely liquify it.

If you watch the patriot wax video you'll see the consistency Patriot is at when its poured, and we get it there with a very very very very very very very slow heating process while the wax is stirred continuously to make sure it stays consistently mixed.

Theres a discussion thread somewhere here on AF where the method of attempting to melt americana for repour is only really recommended to be tried with a candle warmer (Scentsy makes one that works well) Theres also the floating pot in boiling water method, which is risky, but effective.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/waxing-glazing-sealing/13518.htm

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/waxing-glazing-sealing/15854.htm

Why is it that everybody refers to it as "floating"? If your tub is floating in the pan there is too much water in there. It should never be floating, and you should have the lid off to prevent build up of any pressure. And no, the bottom of your jar isn't going to melt if you have water in the pan. It should just be heated enough to where the wax melts. And NO FLOATING. Enough water to where it still sits flat on the bottom of your pan, and any more it will float; is the amount of water that you want in your pan.

I have been doing this for years with my honey. And the only time I have melted a container is when I walked away from it and forgot about it. Again it will not melt with water in the pan and resting on the bottom of your pan. Heat it up slowly. Not full bore.

Your water shouldn't even reach boiling point. Warm to the touch should do it. And once the wax starts to melt, it should all melt fairly quick when it reaches the right temp. Once again, your water shouldn't boil, your container shouldn't be floating and the lid should be off.

Edited by LFairbanks

I was curious about refills as well cause Im sure I will go through mine quick lol. I have even contemplated buying another when the last 50 are released plus another container would be awesome lol

Joe

the only issue i see with Adam's sending a block of it as a refill is the notches at the bottom of the tub to prevent the wax from spinning. Adam would have to leave it up to the end user to melt the refill shipped to him and pour it in the container.

if refills become an option, what's safer? shipping the container back to Colorado for refilling, or Adam shipping a refill to you, and leave it up to the customer how to get the wax in the aluminum tub?

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Theres also the floating pot in boiling water method, which is risky, but effective.

Not meant in the literal, sounds better than "pot in a pot of water being heated" method :glasses:

Why is it that everybody refers to it as "floating"? If your tub is floating in the pan there is too much water in there. It should never be floating, and you should have the lid off to prevent build up of any pressure. And no, the bottom of your jar isn't going to melt if you have water in the pan. It should just be heated enough to where the wax melts. And NO FLOATING. Enough water to where it still sits flat on the bottom of your pan, and any more it will float; is the amount of water that you want in your pan.

I have been doing this for years with my honey. And the only time I have melted a container is when I walked away from it and forgot about it. Again it will not melt with water in the pan and resting on the bottom of your pan. Heat it up slowly. Not full bore.

Your water shouldn't even reach boiling point. Warm to the touch should do it. And once the wax starts to melt, it should all melt fairly quick when it reaches the right temp. Once again, your water shouldn't boil, your container shouldn't be floating and the lid should be off.

The bad thing Dylan is that some on here really look up to you. And if they see that "Dylan" posted floating your container in boiling water, you know someone will do it. Boiling water and all. I can just see someone dropping their tub of wax into a boiling pot of hot water like they were preparing a frozen boxed dinner. That was my only concern. Not sure why this process is risky though. I don't see any harm if it is heated very slowly.

For clarification the container should be heated gradually, while in the water. Not heating the water up then putting your container in the water. Sorry for the rant, but you know if you don't spell everything out, someone does what isn't suppose to be done. Even then it still may happen. :lolsmack:

The bad thing Dylan is that some on here really look up to you. And if they see that "Dylan" posted floating your container in boiling water, you know someone will do it. Boiling water and all. I can just see someone dropping their tub of wax into a boiling pot of hot water like they were preparing a frozen boxed dinner. That was my only concern. Not sure why this process is risky though. I don't see any harm if it is heated very slowly.

For clarification the container should be heated gradually, while in the water. Not heating the water up then putting your container in the water. Sorry for the rant, but you know if you don't spell everything out, someone does what isn't suppose to be done. Even then it still may happen. :lolsmack:

Well the logical solution seems to be to do a writeup on how to do it properly rather than complaining about the semantics of how its discussed doesn't it?

Unfortunately its not a topic I've gotten around to, but feel free to jump on it :2thumbs:

FWIW - (and still mostly semantics) you do have to have sufficient water levels to prevent the bottom of the plastic pot from scorching to the bottom of the pot.

I place the container in (lid off) and add water a little at a time until the american JUST starts to lift. The amount of water needed obviously depends on the amount of wax still in the pot, but giving it JUST enough water to flow under as the temp increases reduces the chances you'll melt plastic to the bottom of a pasta pot.

Keep in mind as well you want to heat evenly, and having the pot in full contact with the bottom will heat the wax more rapidly at the bottom. A 'buffer' of water under the container will lessen that effect and make for more even heating.

If you keep the 'float' as low as you can the container shouldn't be able to tip to a point of spilling or flipping over.

If the container is too heavy (full of wax) to get that gap then you can come up with other ways to make it happen. A mesh collander upside down at the bottom of the pot works well.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Would refills be available to only the 250 owners or to all?

/**Sent from my iPhone5**/

What would you have to refill if you didn't have one of the 250? :jester:

FWIW... There was a problem with my original Americana container where the lid wouldn't screw on correctly... I talked to Ashley about it, and she sent me a new container and told me there Americana wax could simply "pop" out of the container and into the new one... It worked fine...