Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dirty cheap towels

butchman

Question

We've talked about this before.  I was at a car show yesterday.  First one for this year.  I Adamized my car the night before.   A newer corvette parks next to me.   He pulls out a bundle of dirty cheap towels with tags on them.   He takes somekind of detail spray and goes around the entire car with this towel and it made me cringe to watch.  Towel was hitting the ground and he kept going.  Then he uses the same  towel and a bottle of windex and goes around to each rim.   It just amazes me.  Especially with a car that expensive.   After he was done with his show touch up all the dirty towels went back in a pile in the trunk.  

17 answers to this question

My question is how do you advise someone exactly in that situation without seeming offensive? I would have a hard time taking advice from someone on the street on how to detail my single most prized possesion you know?

I dont want it to be that situation like 'dont tell me how to raise my kids' ya know? i would take it that personally..

I dont want it to be that situation like 'dont tell me how to raise my kids' ya know? i would take it that personally..

So would most other people - if you see it...just let it ride.  There are tactful ways of approaching it, as I do at car shows & meets - but I'm a detailer that's on the outside looking in...I think one show participant telling another "hey, you're doing it wrong" is advice that won't be taken kindly.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

At a car show this weekend, guy next to me pulls out paper towel and sprays it. Proceeds to scrub the crap out of his paint. He did this all day. By the end of the day he had a zip lock full of paper towels... Amazingly his paint looked pretty good. How? I have no idea.

I gotta admit I've become somewhat of a snob when it comes to the condition of cars.   6 months ago I was one of those that used a regular sponge and water to wash my car.  I would then dry the car using a couple of cotton towels.  Adam's polishes changed all of that. and I now have a much greater appreciation for a well cared for car.  Now I can't help but notice the condition of a car's paint, but I have to keep reminding myself that the owners probably don't know any better, just like me 6 months ago.

How do you approach someone about their car?...you don't.  As Frank said, "just let it ride".  I don't think it's any of my business to tell someone how to care for their car.  Now if he comments on the condition and/or shine of my truck, I'd probably use that as an opportunity to get into a conversation about the proper care of his car.

Now if he comments on the condition and/or shine of my truck, I'd probably use that as an opportunity to get into a conversation about the proper care of his car.

That's the only way i can see myself doing it at this point

Easy way.....If he is next to you, ask him to take a look at your car. Tell him you just used some "new" stuff from a  company called Adams Polish and you would like an opinion. After he sees what Adams can do, ask him if he would like to see what it looks like on his car and try the Adams product. Viola....a convert.

The same thing happened to me this afternoon coming home from work. Pulled up to get a drink and there is a guy scrubbing down a near new BMW M5 one rag for the whole car. He had just come out of one of those all in 1 car wash deals. Same rag for rims and everything. Even when I didn't know about proper care I never did that.

So would most other people - if you see it...just let it ride.  There are tactful ways of approaching it, as I do at car shows & meets - but I'm a detailer that's on the outside looking in...I think one show participant telling another "hey, you're doing it wrong" is advice that won't be taken kindly.

Agreed.  It sure would be nice to find a creative way to help them out.   Its one thing to use a cheapo towel its another to drag it on the ground while wiping.  I guess I need to keep the blinders on sometimes.  Maybe I'll keep a couple extra Adams dvd's and stickers in my car.  When they walk away I can slip them in their car.   :D   Pretty funny but not a bad idea.

Edited by butchman

I cringe every time I see my dad wash one of his vehicles.  He has one bucket and an RV cleaning brush.  He washes the whole thing, scrubbing like crazy, then he dries it off with an absorber.  When he waxes, he wipes off the residue with an old cut up t-shirt.  His black pickup looks gray to me because of all of the fine scratches and swirls, but he doesn't see them at all.  I told him I could buff it out for him, but only if he changes the way he takes care of his paint.  I still haven't buffed it. :wacko: