Customer Service 866.965.0400

What don't you like about detailing?

DonJuan692006

Question

I wasn't sure if this would be the subforum for this or not, so if it isn't...mods please move.

We always talk about what people like about detailing, but I thought I would poll everyone to see what you don't like and why.

I personally do not like claying. Simple because by the end of the process my hands are cramping from folding the clay over. I hope the new stuff is better in this aspect but have yet to try it out.

Not too fond of washing. Or drying.  Not too hot on glass or wheels, either.  Or paint correction.  Or interiors.  Metal polishing can be a pain.  So can trim. And engine bays, too.  LSPs aren't my thing - too much work.

:P

What I don't like about detailing is running into problem areas I can't rescue for some reason or another - like not enough paint left to correct an area the right way or something so bad a respray is the only thing that'll bring it back...I hate taking "no" for an answer and running into problems I can't fix is basically the car telling me "no".

Vacuuming. I hate doing interiors, but I hate vacuuming the most.

I don't mind vacuuming if it's a decently maintained interior. The guy that owned my truck before me probably didn't clean it the four years he had it. It took me almost two hours just to vacuum it yesterday. Then another two hours scrubbing down every piece of plastic. The guy smokes (so do I but I have my methods for keeping my cars from getting too bad) and there was so much film on the windows I could literally smell the smoke as I was wiping them down tonight.

Halogen lights.

I'm in NM, the land of the blowing dust. I have to keep the garage door closed when detailing, especially during summer (bugs, sand storms, blowing sand). Summer heat + 1200 watt halogens inside insulated garage = hot box. I think I'm delirious near the end of my work day bc I look at my work the next morning upon start-up and see stuff I missed. I end up with a Camelback on and I can't hydrate fast enough. Thinking of installing a permanent AC unit in the wall.

The blazing hot sun hits me by 7:30 or 8:00 am... And as a result I haven't done much detailing for the past 6 months. 

I have the EXACT same issue and the last thing I want to do after working all day is spend 2-3 hours cleaning my car.  IT SUCKS!  My driveway faces East and South so I'm screwed!  

Halogen lights.

I'm in NM, the land of the blowing dust. I have to keep the garage door closed when detailing, especially during summer (bugs, sand storms, blowing sand). Summer heat + 1200 watt halogens inside insulated garage = hot box. I think I'm delirious near the end of my work day bc I look at my work the next morning upon start-up and see stuff I missed. I end up with a Camelback on and I can't hydrate fast enough. Thinking of installing a permanent AC unit in the wall.

I put a MiniSplit in my garage this spring.  It's AWESOME!  Cools it right down in there!  Plus it's a heat pump so if I wanted to, I could heat the garage. 

I do not mind the work in detailing, what I do not like is the cut throats that will underbid you, they have a mobile service, and wash and wax out in the hot sun with the sand blowing everywhere.  I tell everyone when I talk to them, I am not the cheapest, but I do great work.  

But you get alot of people that want the quick buck.  

I do not mind the work in detailing, what I do not like is the cut throats that will underbid you, they have a mobile service, and wash and wax out in the hot sun with the sand blowing everywhere.  I tell everyone when I talk to them, I am not the cheapest, but I do great work.  

Most people can't tell the difference or don't care.  Cleaner is cleaner to most.  

Most people can't tell the difference or don't care.  Cleaner is cleaner to most.

Sadly most people accept SUB STANDARD WORK as a WORK STANDARD...... And most people don't care about detailing quality as long as the paint is clean and smooth to the touch.

Machine Pads?

Quick tip:

Before you unplug that machine, use the Adam's Pad Conditioning Brush to knock off all the loose residuals in the pad.  Then pop it with some Adam's APC.  By the time you walk over to the sink, that pad should be all ready already to be cleaned, in less than a minute.

:D

Mook

Thanks Mook,

I think my problem is I waint until I finish a detail before i start cleaning my pads so it s a day or two after they are used. I'll give it try this weekend.

Thanks Mook,

I think my problem is I waint until I finish a detail before i start cleaning my pads so it s a day or two after they are used. I'll give it try this weekend.

Just a change in habit man!  After a couple times, it will then be Your habit!

This and I hate correcting other people's work.

Specially the rotary buffer trails, easy to fix but having to explain to people that they paid for hack job just sucks.

Lack of time for me is the biggest.  Sure, interior glass and some of these other things are a pain, but if I had TIME they wouldn't be a huge issue.  

I bought one of those 10x10 sunshade pop-ups at the hardware store.  It has helped quite a bit with the sun (I don't have a garage I can work in).

I hate doing wheels, tires, and undercarriage the most. Its much nicer now that I no longer have chrome wheels. IMO painted wheels are much easier to care for. 

Another thing that frustrates me is not having a garage. I have to get as much as I can done before it gets warm, and before my shade disappears.

Also where I live we only have a couple week window for detailing where vehicles actually stay clean. We have nasty winters, then as soon as summer hits it gets hot and the pollen comes out, then the bugs. Early October is usually the best time there is usually no bugs, no pollen but the next thing you know its winter. 

lower rocker panels on cars... I hate having to practically lay down to correct those areas. 

Get a lift! It brings the work to your height. It makes rocker panels and wheel cleaning a breeze. Also works good on undercarriages!