Customer Service 866.965.0400

What don't you like about detailing?

DonJuan692006

Question

I wasn't sure if this would be the subforum for this or not, so if it isn't...mods please move.

We always talk about what people like about detailing, but I thought I would poll everyone to see what you don't like and why.

I personally do not like claying. Simple because by the end of the process my hands are cramping from folding the clay over. I hope the new stuff is better in this aspect but have yet to try it out.

Since I do not have a garage, I work on the street in front of my house.  My least favorite thing is my neighbors or random people coming by to talk, especially when I am polishing.  They see the Flex and say "how much did you pay for that buffer". I explain it is not a buffer, and when I tell them how much it cost, they say "geez, I got one at AutoZone for $35."  And to that I say "no you didn't".  Then I fire it back up and they leave.

Windows......

Windows suck!

Windows used to be the part I hated the most until I grab the GC and window MF's from Adam's. I usually do a quick run over them with a cheaper MF (read department store kind) to get the dirt/randomness off and another pass with the glass MF. It makes it effortless (for me anways) to get a streak free clean. Maintenance also takes no more than a quick wipe with the MF and a light mist of GC.

Cleaning pads. Takes for ever.

Machine Pads?

Quick tip:

Before you unplug that machine, use the Adam's Pad Conditioning Brush to knock off all the loose residuals in the pad.  Then pop it with some Adam's APC.  By the time you walk over to the sink, that pad should be all ready already to be cleaned, in less than a minute.

:D

Mook

I feel kind of bad for saying this, but I hate when I get "help" from friends and family members who want to detail their cars, but they don't bother to pay attention to the finer details as they go. I just end up going back over the same areas and feel like it would have been easier to do everything myself.

Two things:

1) I don't like the sun/heat. Around the beginning of the year my neighbor across the street cut down his humongous oak tree that shaded my house and driveway every morning... Made detailing very nice until around 11:00 or 11:30 on Saturday mornings. Now the blazing hot sun hits me by 7:30 or 8:00 am... And as a result I haven't done much detailing for the past 6 months. And when I do a have some therapy time it is in the evening after the shade has been on the car long enough that the paint isn't 150 degrees, unfortunately the blood sucking mosquitoes are then starting to come out for dinner. Sigh... I need to put A/C in the garage ... Also need a larger garage so I can have more than one car in there.

2) Water restrictions - water restrictions kicked in again this year and am assigned one day a week where I can water the lawn and/or wash the cars. Unfortunately my day is not on a weekend and this coupled with my work schedule and the mosquitoes I have really slacked off this year...

Now that water restrictions have lifted and temps are due to start cooling to something less than 90 degrees in another month I am looking forward to getting some therapy time.

Edited by DaveVY

I feel kind of bad for saying this, but I hate when I get "help" from friends and family members who want to detail their cars, but they don't bother to pay attention to the finer details as they go. I just end up going back over the same areas and feel like it would have been easier to do everything myself.

Agreed. I took my little (read younger( he's 17; 6'4" and 200 lbs)) brother with me to do my sisters car. I had him using a cheap MF to go behind me and wipe the excess SVRT milk off the tires. He saw a spot on one of the doors and started buffing it with said MF...

Cleaning pads. Takes for ever.

Throw them in the wash bucket with water and a few spray's of APC.  Spin on the Gamma Seal lid and leave them for a few hours/days.  They come clean much easier after a long soak.

Agreed. I took my little (read younger( he's 17; 6'4" and 200 lbs)) brother with me to do my sisters car. I had him using a cheap MF to go behind me and wipe the excess SVRT milk off the tires. He saw a spot on one of the doors and started buffing it with said MF...

Yep.  I like to teach folks, but they can make everything go slower.  It can take FOREVER to polish a car in the Adam's booth as a show!  Lots of interested onlookers to demonstrate the process to.

Since I do not have a garage, I work on the street in front of my house.  My least favorite thing is my neighbors or random people coming by to talk, especially when I am polishing.  They see the Flex and say "how much did you pay for that buffer". I explain it is not a buffer, and when I tell them how much it cost, they say "geez, I got one at AutoZone for $35."  And to that I say "no you didn't".  Then I fire it back up and they leave.

Yup, this is one of the things I don't like about detailing; comments from the peanut gallery.

"You should use M's stuff. It does the same thing in a couple of hours."

I also dislike cleaning the inside my Camaro's rear glass.

Detailing ANYTHING below the door handles..... Especially the wheels and lower rocker panels on a lowered car (4x4's not too bad)

My 60 year old body is not as flexible as it was 10 years ago. But, I can still do it...... Just takes a little longer.

I love to detail cars when the weather is nice around this time of year because it is cool and comfortable PLUS when you are done you can drive for a week without having to clean off a pound of bugs or pollen.