Customer Service 866.965.0400

Top luxury car under 50k

Garsnow

Looking for your idea's for your ulitmate luxury car that can be had under $50k. Looking to purchase new, but if the right pre-owned with less than 40k miles came my way I would be interested. I really have no 'needs', and Im all over the place. I just need 4 doors, with enough room for 2 kids seats. So far ive come up with the following.

New

CTS

Grand Cherokee

IS350

Used

CTS V

What cars have you seen/worked on/driven that really made a lasting impression on you?

i know this sounds strange but you can get an older Benz S550 (around 2010-2012 models) for around $50k b/c owners are dumping them to get the new design which I think is the 2015 model, could be 2014, not sure.  A couple of our execs are doing this and I know they are getting them for maybe $51-52k with about 25-35k miles.  You want luxury, these things are badass

I have a CTS coupe and really like it.  It's a 2012.  Was at the Cadillac garage last week checking out the 2014s and to be honest, the interiors are a lot less impressive than mine.  The styling is the same, but the materials are lesser quality.  If I could have got a V for under 50K I probably would have bought it, but it's rear wheel drive and they aren't real good in the snow in PA.  Plus my CTS is all wheel drive. Only things I don't like about it is that the sunroof only cracks open, doesn't open the whole way, and it's short on trunk space.  I don't like the four doors on any car, that's why I got the coupe.

Cadillac also makes an XTS V, but not as much hp as the CTS.

Do like I did.  Find one a year old with a couple thousand miles on it.  Mine had 5000 on the OD when I got it. Still under full warranty and I saved about 15K.

VW Touareg.  I know it doesn't have the luxury badge, but it truly is luxury.  You can also find 2013s with only a couple thousand miles as certified pre owned.  Pretty much brand new but $7-10K off plus and extra 2yr/24k on the bumper to bumper warranty.

I had a IS350 and while a great car I'm not sure I can recommend it for 2 kids seats unless you are short.  The back seat it pretty tight.

Currently have a grand cherokee (SRT) and it is a great vehicle, nice fit/finish and good amount of space. 

Lightly used Mercedes E-Class. Can almost get one new at that price. Or you could get a couple year old E63 AMG if you really want some performance. My dad has the 2010 E350 and loves it. Got it with 30k miles for $34k a little over a year ago. So you could clearly get an even newer one. 

If you put your list in a blender I think a 2011 -12 Grand Cherokee SRT8 would pop out! haha, I haven't looked but think they are starting to get below $50k

If not, a CTS V is a sweet ride.  

Bet you could find a very nice M3 also, in your price range, you could buy a lot of car!  Have fun looking

Edited by bjoeaull

When you say you want "luxury", what are adjectives are you looking for? Quiet, comfort? Or nice interior materials?

What type of ride comfort? Floating, where bumps are not felt? Or sport handling?

What type of acceleration are you wanting? High end performance where you hear the engine gurgle? Good acceleration with a quiet engine where it "effortlessly moves"?

My bride and I looked at cars for her a few months back and found that there are many different versions of "luxury". We were looking for quiet comfort and considered quite a number on paper and physically looked at a wide range of cars, everything from Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, Audi A8, BMW 5 6 and 7 series, Lexus LS, Masserati Quattraporte, MB S Class. A wide range of price points but was an eye opening and educational experience.

For its price point, the Buick was ok, but head rest comfort was horrible, it didn't allow our heads to be in a neutral position, too far forward. Didn't drive it, just sitting in it was enough to know we didn't like it. Interior was hard and "plastic" feeling.

I was pretty disappointed in the Cadillac XTS, it wasn't luxury quiet and the ride was just ok. It didn't wow us, the ride and quietness were actually disappointing. Not much different than my Mazda 6.The interior was fine but design was nothing memorable.

Audi's were ok, but rather blah in styling for us. Felt solid but nothing special for us, didn't appeal to us. Didn't drive them as we couldn't get past the lack of styling appeal.

Porsche - hate the styling, so we skipped even looking at them.

Tried to like the BMW's but they were too focused on sport and not a quiet comfort ride. Didn't drive them (though I have been in various models over the years owned by co-workers) just sat in quite a few of them. Not what we really wanted in "luxury".

Lexus IS is too focused on being a sport ride. The GS is too focused on being sporty now. The LS was a real contender, nice ride and quiet, interior was nice but not dramatic, a newer used one should be available in your price range.

Maserati... Fun to drive, fun to listen to, but not quiet, horrible road and wind noise but ride was ok. They are focused on the "sport luxury" niche, not sure if a used one would be available in your specified price range.

Mercedes S Class - the ride quality and quietness are slightly better than the Lexus LS. The fit and finish of the interior are very nice. The new models, 2014, have a remarkable new interior that will just blow you away. The prior model interior is nice and it's design is comparable to that found on the Lexus LS or some of the other German luxury brands. Like someone else said, you can pickup a 3 year old S Class for around the price point you want. Depending on the model, the acceleration is there, an effortless ability to move quickly without hearing all about it when you hit the accelerator.

Would be happy to provide further impressions, these are just my summary impressions based on our looking for a quiet and comfortable luxury ride.

^^^You bring up some good points.  Did you decide on something yet?

As for the OP, are you considering an SUV, large sedan, coupe, wagon, etc.?  Is FWD, AWD, or RWD important?  German, American, Japanese, Korean, etc.?

Is the badge important?  Perhaps look at the Kia Cadenza or K900 (Not under 50K though) or a slightly used Hyundai Equus.

When I was looking around, I had my heart set on a Cadillac SRX. I knew I wanted an all wheel drive, and I found one in blue with chrome wheels and every bell and whistle you could order. It was a 12 with 7000 on the OD.  It was being sold for $43,000.  A steal for what a brand new one goes for.  Even had dvd players in the headrests for the kids. In my opinion, if you're looking to get into car seats, etc, look at this one. Remember this..........when you're dealing with getting kids in and out of vehicles, if you're in a car, you're bending down. With an SUV, it's a lot easier to get them in and out and a lot more room for everyone and everything. The SRX is a great looking vehicle and if you look around you'll find a good certified one. Be sure if you buy used from a dealer that you get the CERTIFIED vehicle. That way it's covered in case there are any problems that pop up.

You guys are coming up with some great suggestions and questions that I dont know the answer to yet. Dave, you brought up some good points, and thank you for the quick reviews.

Honestly, I think what I want is some form of sport luxury. Ideally, a  new cts vsport has my attention, but is out of my range. I have always had 'sporty' cars so the firm suspension and engine/exhaust noise would not be a deal breaker. Rich, thanks for the suggestion regarding the dealer pep cars. I have put a few calls in to some dealerships to see what they have - unfortunatley nothing I am interested in, but the cars they did have had an attractive discount.

I drive more than average for my job which averages 30-40k a year, so I think I need to be a little more mature about my choice and consider something awd and good in the snow. a CTS V would have hurt me pretty bad with the winter we had here in Michigan.

Perhaps a VW CC V6 4Motion executive.  That way you have AWD, luxury, sport, and free maintenance for the first 24K or 2 years.  The only thing is it would need a DSG fluid change every 40K which may add up with how much you drive.

Or the Touareg R line.  Again, AWD, luxury, and not really sporty but still has some potential. 

Not trying to push VW, but considering those are their top 2 models, and they don't have the fancy badge, you get a lot for your money.

I drive more than average for my job which averages 30-40k a year, so I think I need to be a little more mature about my choice and consider something awd and good in the snow.

I average 30,000 miles a year driving.  You might want to consider the Mercedes ML350.  It is an AWD vehicle.   This is the best vehicle in the snow that I have ever driven.  Currently in my family we have two of these (my father and myself).   My father has over 200,000 with no issues and I have 108,000 on mine now.  The ML350 starts around $48,000 new.   It is one of the first luxury SUV's named an IIHS Top Safety Pick (models built after August 2013).   When the time comes I plan on replacing it with another M Class.

If you are putting on 30k a year I would defiantly look into diesel. My local vw dealer has a used Toureg tdi for 42g

Remember with the Toureg that they are built on the same line in the same factory as the Porsche Cayenne. I think it's really a hell of a bargain for what it is.

Thanks dieseldide, never considered that merc before. It looks really nice, I'll have to check it out.

Also, with all the mention of the toureg I'll have to look into that as well. There's a merc and vw dealer about 20 minutes from me, maybe I'll venture out today

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...