Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best polisher ??

Detailmanbobby

Question

I work for a detail company. The make us use the festool 125 its a rotex type sander. When you change the backing it can be transformed into a polisher. I don't like it to much. I have seen both tge rupes big foot and the polisher from adam's in action. I've only ever used the rotex and a rotary buffer. Can i have opions on which is the best buffer? I also have studied paul dalton who uses the rupes. Help please.

25 answers to this question

Adam's never carried a Rupes polisher before. The PC 7424XP is pretty good for beginners. I use a Flex 3401VRG. I like it, fast correction with forced rotation. Most people here will tell you a Cyclo but thats because Adam's is now exclusively Cyclo and discontinued selling the Porter Cable and Flex recently. I haven't used a Cyclo but I'd love to try one out but until I can play with a demo that wont be happening. The Flex is a little hard to get used to if you have never used a DA Polisher before, if you haven't I'd find a Porter Cable to start out with.

Edited by Kingsford

Rupes are great, but the Festool Rotex is really an awesome tool as well!  I still like the PE-14 by Flex as the best rotary buffer.  Lightweight, easy to use, and mostly made in Germany.  Better than China, IMHO..

As a pro, those tools are great, however, as a frequent user, the Cyclo with the Microfiber pads can give remarkable results wihout the potential damage that frequently comes with both of the forementioned units.

Rupes are great, but the Festool Rotex is really an awesome tool as well!  I still like the PE-14 by Flex as the best rotary buffer.  Lightweight, easy to use, and mostly made in Germany.  Better than China, IMHO..

As a pro, those tools are great, however, as a frequent user, the Cyclo with the Microfiber pads can give remarkable results wihout the potential damage that frequently comes with both of the forementioned units.

Any chance of adding Rupes to the line up?

Any chance of adding Rupes to the line up?

The Rupes is a good machine, and if it provided better results than the Cyclo, and was made in the USA, we would consider it!  However, we have been achieving equal results with the Cyclo.   I'm Italian, and love Italy!  However, Italy is not where I was born and raised, so whenever possible, I like to support the United States of America.

The Rupes is a good machine, and if it provided better results than the Cyclo, and was made in the USA, we would consider it!  However, we have been achieving equal results with the Cyclo.   I'm Italian, and love Italy!  However, Italy is not where I was born and raised, so whenever possible, I like to support the United States of America.

Understood.  Was hoping it would possibly replace the Flex.  I currently have porter cable but would prefer something with more cut. 

I love the fact the Cyclo is made in USA however from what I have researched about the Cyclo is cuts slightly better than the PC.  Am I understanding correctly?

Edited by Antv20

Understood.  Was hoping it would possibly replace the Flex.  I currently have porter cable but would prefer something with more cut. 

I love the fact the Cyclo is made in USA however from what I have researched about the Cyclo is cuts slightly better than the PC.  Am I understanding correctly?

The Cyclo has a different cut because it has a different pad base because it uses two 4" pads. I would think they wouldn't be TOO different but they probably do cut different. 

After using a LOT of the machines out there, I prefer the Flex3401VRG.  Followed by the Rupes21, the Cyclo, then the PC.  (Throw the 4" BP on the PC and it's my 2nd fav machine)  I love the heck out of the Flex PE-14-2 Rotary.  I haven't used the Rupes Duetto...yet.  

Coming straight from the rotary world, the Flex is a much more natural feel vs trying to learn a PC, Cyclo, or other strict, dual-action machine. 

After using a LOT of the machines out there, I prefer the Flex3401VRG.  Followed by the Rupes21, the Cyclo, then the PC.  (Throw the 4" BP on the PC and it's my 2nd fav machine)  I love the heck out of the Flex PE-14-2 Rotary.  I haven't used the Rupes Duetto...yet.  

Coming straight from the rotary world, the Flex is a much more natural feel vs trying to learn a PC, Cyclo, or other strict, dual-action machine. 

I want to leave my PC set up for the small pads and have a Flex or Rupes for the bigger pads. 

I want to leave my PC set up for the small pads and have a Flex or Rupes for the bigger pads. 

This is EXACTLY what I do.  I started with a PC and figured out quickly that it was MUCH too time consuming and I wanted to spend more time with my family so I went with a Flex and haven't regretted it.  I have a cheap rotary that I use when I have to, which isn't often, but I keep my PC setup with the 4" backing pad all the time.  

I just completed my G8 this past weekend using these two tools and it looks amazing.  

Chris

This is EXACTLY what I do.  I started with a PC and figured out quickly that it was MUCH too time consuming and I wanted to spend more time with my family so I went with a Flex and haven't regretted it.  I have a cheap rotary that I use when I have to, which isn't often, but I keep my PC setup with the 4" backing pad all the time.  

I just completed my G8 this past weekend using these two tools and it looks amazing.  

Chris

Time consuming....that is exactly my issue. PC takes entirely too long in my opinion. I understand not carrying the Flex and supporting a Chinese company. Wishing/hoping for another option.....even if it's another Italian.

Time consuming....that is exactly my issue. PC takes entirely too long in my opinion. I understand not carrying the Flex and supporting a Chinese company. Wishing/hoping for another option.....even if it's another Italian.

I have to say, even on REALLY HARD clear coat, like on my BMW... I started learning on a Cyclo.  Did the entire car in one day.  Was it the best job, no, I am still a novice (user not machine errors).  But I will say, that with the microfiber pads and that large ~8.5in diameter of correcting area, the cyclo was no slouch when it came to DEEP correction.  Was it faster than a flex (which I upgraded to), no.  But without forced rotation that will never happen.  BUT, can I get faster correcting times in, against say a PC, absolutely.  Bigger combined pad layout, wider area coverage and it can reach into smaller areas WITHOUT a separate BP.  These are all MASSIVE wins for the Cyclo.  I have to have a separate BP for the flex that will take 4" pads (can't use Adam's pads due to the backing plastic being smaller than 4") :(   ...Still working on modifying the BP to accept Adam's pads.

Plus, I have to say, I FULLY enjoy the balance of the Cyclo (and less vibration) over the Flex ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  Also, having FULL support from not just the company that sold it (which is AWESOME) but the company that makes it (there in Denver) is AMAZING and should not be overlooked.

In the end, with my specific clear coat, I had no choice but to go up to the Flex.  But given a little more time, the cyclo would have finished the job the same as the flex.

I am in agreement with Chris (Chewy), that I went with the flex to have more time to do other things.  But my hands and arms would probably thank me more with the cyclo (even with more time being spent with it).

Edited by mtnbiker326

I like the Rupes detailing belt as well!

Had to look this one up. Seems like a terrible idea... I know with me I always wear nike shorts and a soft shirt when I polish because I am constantly leaning over fenders and brushing up against the panels on trucks and SUV's which is the majority of my polishing... The belt seems like a good way to scratch up paint with a "soda" can or something else kept in the front pockets. Interesting concept though.

I totally agree.

After years of using a Makita 9227C rotary, I pulled the plug and bought a FLEX PE14-250 and couldn't be happier. So much lighter and easier to use.

I can't say what's the best because I have not used all of the machines out there, but I can give my opinion on which is best on the one's I've used.  I recently switch to the Rupes 21, the pads along with the 5" BP.  It is noticeably well balanced and faster working than the PC 7424XP.  It's night and day when it comes to less vibration, work time and smoother operation.  My arms and hands agree, too.  It's just a really smooth machine, especially with their pads.  I debated between Rupes and the Flex (Flex being similar to Rotary polisher I have - Makita) and it was tough, but I figured what the heck try something new.  I can't opine on the Cyclo since I've never used it, but my initial impression was that it looked to be too bulky to work with.  When I purchased my first DA kit from Adam about a year ago, they did not sell the Cyclo - only the PC and Flex.  The PC sports the 4" pads now.  The Rupes is my new work horse.  I can't stress the smoothness of this machine enough, just amazing.  I don't have to press down on the machine like the PC, so less fatigue, if you will.

Edited by Methodical

The best polisher also depends on what your budget is.  If you only have like $150 to spend, your best polisher can really only be a PC/GG/UDM.  The GG is the most powerful of the three.

Rupes polishers are awesome but work best when used as a complete system: polisher, pads, & gels.  It's a great tool even if you don't utilize the complete system but using it with other compounds & pads isn't 100% ideal.  I use the complete system exclusively now and haven't looked back:  I love my 15 & 75E!

I got a chance to see the Cyclo at Thompson Racing this weekend and It was much smaller and lighter than I thought (not to mention built like a tank), but if you're doing this profesionally I would look elsewhere as its heavy correction power is limited.  Would be fine for 99% of enthusiasts, however since it's safe,comfy to use, and gets the job done nicely.

The Flex PE14 & Festool Shinex are the best rotaries in the business - they're almost identical except the Festool is a pound lighter, a little quieter, and is fully constructed in Germany.  I own both and they're great!  The Rotex is not ideal as a car polisher although some companies, like Swissvax, are rebranding and selling it as one - hell of a sander though.

The 3401 VRG is really nice but you're somewhat limited on pad sizing (even with the backing plate kit).  I know the China buyout miffed some folks, but it's not hard to find a pre-buyout one for sale if that matters to you.  I used a 3401 for a while and I liked its correction power but always thought it was a little too ungainly because of its weight and the way it rotates - but that just my personal experience with it.

Budget: PC/GG/UDM

Newbie-Proof: Cyclo & PC/GG/UDM

Comfort:  Rupes System & Cyclo

Correction Power: Festool Shinex/Flex PE14 & Rupes System

Middle of the Road: Flex 3401

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

If a Cyclo isn't in your budget, neither is the Flex or Rupes.  PC/GG/UDM it is...

Flex at 350, Rupes at 370 or 400 depending on 21 or 15, and Cyclo at 350 are all same price range.

Honestly if you don't have the money to burn or the budget for a $350 machine (before buying pads), and don't do it for a living (and even if you do), I would get a GG6 from Phil @ Detailers Domain, you can use the 7" Adams pads with it and it has a ton of power.

I wholeheartedly recommend if the budget allows, a dedicated small backing plate / pad machine, my original Porter Cable 7424 is set up with a 3" backing plate and sees dedicated 4" pad use, so much easier on the fly to pick up a second machine instead of switching plates and pads on one machine, and trust me once you have the 4" machine set up you will find all sorts of uses for it that would work better than a larger pad machine (pillars, headlights, tails, bumpers, door jambs, etc)

You can get a gently used or refurbed 7424XP and a 3" backing plate for 130 bucks or less.  GG6 is going to run you about the same, and in my opinion its got more power for correction than the Cyclo, especially with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.  But the only drawback is made in Chinatown.

So for $250-260 or roughly 100 less than 1 Flex/Cyclo and 130-150 less than 1 Rupes, you could have 2 machines kicking some tail.

This is an interesting topic. Its not in my budget to buy a Cyclo.  What would you tell a budget minded guy shopping for his first polisher to buy?

Porter Cable 7424XP... Good for beginners but remember by the time you get pads and polish you'll be close to the $200-300 mark depending on where you get the PC from. 

The PC is how I started and probably how most people that have been around Adam's for sometime have started. It's a good tool. Changeable backing plate. I still use mine with 4" pads for small areas. I bought it when I was on a budget but have since moved to the Flex 3401VRG.

I do believe the PC is as cheap as they come while still maintaining quality. Plus if you're using Adam's products, it used to be the only Polisher Adam's sold for sometime...

Amazon has PC 7424XP's listed for about $120 brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

Then you'd probably need this Kit from Adam's for Pads, Polish, Cleaner and Towels. If you were to buy it with a 15% off Sale you'd save about $30 on it.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-734-adams-complete-7-machine-polisher-kit.aspx

Edited by Kingsford

There's no one "best" polisher.

When it comes to detailing I've found out that it's hard to achieve the results I was looking for with just 1 machine.

I started out with the PC just to get familiar with the polishing process. I figured out the technique and found that the PC has way too much vibration, noise, and lack of correction power. So, what did I do? Slapped the backing plate on there for the 4" pads and made it dedicated to cleaning up micro swirls left from the drill with 4" pads on the tight areas. I then bought the Rupes 21 for the major correction. With Adams MF pads and new polish duo, it takes care of swirls in no time. I then realized that the Rupes can't get into certain areas or doesn't perform as well on certain shaped panels and the PC with 4" pads was too time consuming, so I bought the Cyclo for those situations.

With that said, I think it's the "best" to have a couple of polishers.

Edited by egott_91

As long as you buy quality tools that will last it is always nice to build upon your detailing tool arsenal, something that a PC can't correct, a Flex might, and where a Flex might be too harsh, maybe a Rupes would be better, and maybe if you don't need a ton of correction the Cyclo might be best of both worlds, etc.

All I know is my original 7424 PC is still going strong after almost 10 years and I do the same as above and dedicate it to 4" pad duty, works phenomenal, and I have a newfound use for my "old tool"