Customer Service 866.965.0400

Was My Car Even Clayed?!

thatryan

Question

Just got my car back from a $400 "ultimate" detail that supposedly included claying, waxing and all that jazz. I was curious when I got home so grabbed a baggy for the hand and ran hand over various parts, still feels gritty... Is that a sign they did not clay it? Is that test reliable??

May I ask what the detail included and who did it?  Did you sign something showing the steps of the detail?

$400 should have included a full cleaning, decontamination, paint correction and protection for most sized vehicles.

The baggie test is pretty reliable so I am doubting that they clayed thoroughly if at all. 

Edit:

If you drove the car home it's entirely possible you are feeling surface dust that has settled since they completed the detail.  Clean an area with waterless wash gently, then redo your baggie test.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

It was the "Ultimate Detail" by BMW Collision Center here in Concord, CA. 

Should include, 

Ultimate Spa Detail – $399.00
• Exterior wash
• Clay treatment to remove impurities from paint
• Machine Polish
• Double layer of wax
• Vacuum and shampoo interior, carpets and mats
• Clean all leather and apply conditioner
• Detail rims and dress tires
• Polish all chrome and moldings
• Clean all windows and mirrors
• Detail interior

Taken from here, http://www.bmwconcord.com/service-parts/ on the tab "spa services"

And no, I did not see a detailed steps listed :(

x2 on what Chase said, use a waterless wash spritz and wipe down to be sure the paint is clean.  Try the baggie again.  Still feel gritty?

No offense but at that price I would have used a reputable detailer who is local and with references.  I'm fairly certain the same crew of underpaid workers who use shoddy towels after running your Bimmer through the automatic dealer swirl wash are the same ones giving you the "ultimate detail".

They might have made one pass of clay or might not have clayed at all, you don't know.  All I know is for that price from a dealer, it was done fast, and it was done cheaply, a dealer's time is money.  I probably would have done the same service including an engine clean and dressing for that price, and it wouldn't have needed a "double layer of wax" for shine, lol.

Also curious, how long would all that listed take? They seemed to be done with my car kinda quick

See my comments above about a crew of underpaid workers washing and waxing through the swirl machine.

You have a brand new car right, 3 series if I am correct?  Would prob take me working by myself to perfection, about 6 hours, close to a full day if you are doing interior and exterior.  Plus new car prep has a ton of decontamination and needs at least a medium cut one step polish before applying LSP.

The baggie test is pretty darn reliable.  I would do as stated above:  clean a small area and test it again and let us know.  I'm going to say it was not clayed...

It would take me by myself upwards of 7-8 hours to do that to a vehicle...

Well damn. Now I'm pretty bummed out. It almost seems like they just did engine bay, interior including carpets and cleaning exterior. Not a brilliant job I was expecting. :(

Do I even both trying to go back?

Anyone know of someone near east Bay Area in

Cali that is awesome?

Thanks you all for your input.

If it was me I would go back and express your concern and see what they have to say, $400 is a lot of money and should show great results for what you paid for. Just my opinion of course.

Well damn. Now I'm pretty bummed out. It almost seems like they just did engine bay, interior including carpets and cleaning exterior. Not a brilliant job I was expecting. :(

Do I even both trying to go back?

Anyone know of someone near east Bay Area in

Cali that is awesome?

Thanks you all for your input.

So, I saw the location you got your car done and then connected that with CQ Finest/OC Pro installers and the closest one to that BMW dealer is called 'Immaculate Reflections'.

http://irdetailing.com/

This is good way to start as it is pretty difficult to become an installer of these coatings...

Thanks all, 

I shot an email to the guy I had worked with asking if there was a checklist they work off of, and if it was possible my car was given a "lesser" detail by mistake as I tested and was not convinced it was clayed. Not sure about his response, 

"No sir, your vehicle was clayed, polished, waxed, machine washed the interior, leather treated, clean engine compartment, clean windows and wheels, and dressed the tires.

If you think they missed an area please swing by so we can take care of it

Thanks"

Though I can say they treated the interior, though certainly not with anything Adam's quality, as I have to wash my hands after driving it :(

Again no offense, but next time don't go to the dealership.  I can't even trust them to change my oil right, let alone give my car a detail.

Find a reputable detailer in your area if you need help because of your dystrophy, ask them specifically what products they will be using.  Good dealers don't use silicone based dressings on your interior, and make sure your car is done right, to your satisfaction, after pickup.

A good detailer will also have a conversation with you about what you would like out of their service, given the amount you are paying.  Some customers want a flawless decontaminated surface that is then protected with a high quality sealant, and do not wish for machine polishing or paint correcting prior to that.  Some customers have sensitive noses and do not want highly fragrant products used on the interior, etc.

See where I'm getting at?  It may have been a BMW dealership who hosted the service for you, but in the end, you got yourself a basic automatic car washes "buff and shine super detail special" with an added 25-30% cost because the shop has a roundel on the front of it.

Best of luck but at this point based on his response I think he isn't going to do anything further to help.

Dissect the detail. Every nook and cranny should be clean, no wax or polish residue anywhere, swirls should be gone (strip a small area very carefully with IPA and inspect in the sun), trim and rubber should be conditioned, the paint should bead and sheet water (show evidence of LSP). If you can't check off all those boxes, then demand a refund or a redo.

Again no offense, but next time don't go to the dealership.  I can't even trust them to change my oil right, let alone give my car a detail.

Find a reputable detailer in your area if you need help because of your dystrophy, ask them specifically what products they will be using.  Good dealers don't use silicone based dressings on your interior, and make sure your car is done right, to your satisfaction, after pickup.

A good detailer will also have a conversation with you about what you would like out of their service, given the amount you are paying.  Some customers want a flawless decontaminated surface that is then protected with a high quality sealant, and do not wish for machine polishing or paint correcting prior to that.  Some customers have sensitive noses and do not want highly fragrant products used on the interior, etc.

See where I'm getting at?  It may have been a BMW dealership who hosted the service for you, but in the end, you got yourself a basic automatic car washes "buff and shine super detail special" with an added 25-30% cost because the shop has a roundel on the front of it.

Best of luck but at this point based on his response I think he isn't going to do anything further to help.

No offense at all, thank you though. Yeah I do not see them being helpful at all, they got my money and that is all. My bad I suppose for thinking they had high standards.

I called Jeff at Immaculate Reflections linked above, said it is quite common sadly for dealers to cut corners on details like that... Too bad he is booked out for over a month though. :/

Dissect the detail. Every nook and cranny should be clean, no wax or polish residue anywhere, swirls should be gone (strip a small area very carefully with IPA and inspect in the sun), trim and rubber should be conditioned, the paint should bead and sheet water (show evidence of LSP). If you can't check off all those boxes, then demand a refund or a redo.

I fear I should have done this before I took it home, I was in a hurry and did not give it a thorough look. It would not pass this test, I do not think they did anything to outer trim even...

A full "professional" detail including all those steps should take at least 4-5 hours depending on how many people they have working on it. It's hard to say how much time and effort they spent actually doing a quality job.

Did you have swirls that needed correcting? $400 is a lot to spend on a detail especially if it's not done to your full expectations. Most people see that the car is shiny so they are satisfied. I agree with everyone above saying not to bring it to a dealership next time. Detailing should not be a one size fits all approach. They should consult with you

They should consult with you

SHOULD being the operative word - but when "they" are a fast talking service manager and more than likely non-English speaking laborers, you're not going to get a whole lot of "should".

Sucks to learn a $400 lesson, but such is life.  Ryan, I would still personally book an appointment with Jeff - he's insanely good at what he does and it's worth the wait!

Yep. Life lessons can blow. Oh well I suppose, live and learn.

Baron are you local? You have gone to immaculate reflection before?

He's a good guy.  I have seen his work on another detailing forum.  He is also a member on ls1tech which I belong to and Adam's sponsors there as well.  He does very good work. 

Yep. Life lessons can blow. Oh well I suppose, live and learn.

Baron are you local? You have gone to immaculate reflection before?

Not local, but Jeff and I are certified on the same coating products so I am familiar with his expertise and work.

I was looking at job posting for dealership dealerships and most pay their detailers based on quantity output.  So what incentive does that detailer have to take his time?    

It was the "Ultimate Detail" by BMW Collision Center here in Concord, CA.

Should include,

Ultimate Spa Detail – $399.00

• Exterior wash

• Clay treatment to remove impurities from paint

• Machine Polish

• Double layer of wax

• Vacuum and shampoo interior, carpets and mats

• Clean all leather and apply conditioner

• Detail rims and dress tires

• Polish all chrome and moldings

• Clean all windows and mirrors

• Detail interior

Taken from here, http://www.bmwconcord.com/service-parts/ on the tab "spa services"

That seems like a lot of $$$$ even if they did do all they promised. I usually charge $200.

Edited by CMDChase