Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often should I apply wax?

Retired_CPO

Question

I wash my car every Friday and I was wondering how often should I apply wax?

Three weeks ago I applied 2 light coats of Americana.  Should I reapply every week, every certain amount of washes or what?

Thank you.

13 answers to this question

Every week seems a bit excessive to me. Americana lasts a long time (up to 6 months) so you would really start building up the wax unless you have it out in crazy elements a lot.

I bet it would look GREAT if you added a light coat every month ot two and maintained it with Rinseless Wash and Detail Spray in the meantimes.

I also tend to add sealant to the nose of my car every few weeks to make it easier to remove bugs.  A little extra Americana there would probably do the same thing.

No more than once a month! 

It really depends on many variables...  Garaged?, DD?, hot weather? and such...  

A base of sealant on clean untreated paint is best for a DD then top with Americana if you wish.  

Chris

Americana lasts longer than Buttery wax, but either way you shouldn't be waxing weekly.  People will chime in and say you can glaze weekly, but I don't use glaze.  A good weekly wash, with using a Detail Spray spritz as a wipedown agent should be all you need for maintenance.  At the highest I'd probably give it 8-10 weeks before another coat of Americana.

Buttery wax tends to have a 1-2 month lifespan, so you could probably do a coat of that every 30 days.

I can barely find time to , clay, polish and apply sealant every 6 months, how much time do you have on your hands man?  Lol

Well being a Retired Disabled Vet I have more than enough time on my hands..... :D

So I am washing the car to much?  It's just over a weeks time a lot of dust and grime accumulate on the car and I thought that washing it was the safest route vice using detail spray.  Just afraid of scratching the clear coat and then I have to redo the car (or that panel) all over again.

I guess I can blame my OCD for doing it too much.   :D

I think washing is perfectly fine and probably "normal" for the folks around here. You don't need to finish with a layer of wax or sealant every time though. As was mentioned, a Detail Spray wipe down should get you through for "routine maintenance". Washing the car shouldn't strip the protection you previously applied so you should be good for at least a month or two....probably longer. Good luck!

Well being a Retired Disabled Vet I have more than enough time on my hands..... :D

So I am washing the car to much?  It's just over a weeks time a lot of dust and grime accumulate on the car and I thought that washing it was the safest route vice using detail spray.  Just afraid of scratching the clear coat and then I have to redo the car (or that panel) all over again.

I guess I can blame my OCD for doing it too much.   :D

If you have proper washing/drying techniques using a 3 bucket method which I prefer, you should not be instilling scratches on weekly maintenance washings.  Watch Larry Kosilla and Garry Dean's wash videos on youtube for some good tips, nothing wrong with a weekly wash!  (I do the same as long as its not winter I like to wash my truck and my wifes car weekly)

If you're using Americana, I would wax every 2-3 months. I would say Americana durability is about 3-4 months. If you just enjoy waxing your car which many of us do, you could use something like buttery and wax like every month. After your car has accumulated a few coats of wax though, I would do a strip wash before layering any more wax. 

Ok, I will be the one to chime and say 'use BG!".   :)

As the others have said, using Americana that often is overkill, but using a glaze on top of the wax will be fine.  Truthfully, the solvents in BG can deteriorate the wax, but if you are waxing every few months you should be fine.  After your wash just wipe on BG and remove, it goes on and off very easily, but adds a nice 'pop' to the paint.  

I don't use it often on my own cars, but I use on client's garage queens and they love it! 

I don't use Americana every week.  The only time I've used it this year was 3 weeks ago and I applied two light coats.  I was just wondering how often I should wax the car because I do wash it often.  I am going to purchase the Brilliant Glaze and that will probably do the trick.

I do thank everyone who commented on this subject, I really do appreciate it.

If you have proper washing/drying techniques using a 3 bucket method which I prefer, you should not be instilling scratches on weekly maintenance washings.  Watch Larry Kosilla and Garry Dean's wash videos on youtube for some good tips, nothing wrong with a weekly wash!  (I do the same as long as its not winter I like to wash my truck and my wifes car weekly)

I'm not familiar with the 3 bucket method but I do use the 2 bucket method.  I will have to check it out...thank you.

I'm not familiar with the 3 bucket method but I do use the 2 bucket method.  I will have to check it out...thank you.

Basically its a new spin on the 2-bucket method, you should still have your soap and rinse buckets, but keep a 3rd bucket of a different color and SOLELY dedicate it to wheel/tire cleaning, as well as your tools for wheel and tire cleaning.  Never use a tool that has been used on wheels/tires, on the paint, and vice versa.  Add the 3rd bucket to your routine and you will be significantly safer washing the vehicle IMO.  This is a tip I picked up from Larry Kosilla.

For what its worth any tools I use on wheels/tires can be used in the engine bay as well, but I don't use them on paint.