Customer Service 866.965.0400

MAJOR Paint Correction: Black 1982 Corvette

Team Adam's

I got my hands on this 1982 Corvette early this week.  It's been in storage for 15 years, and has just recently been pulled out to get it back on the road.  Being that it is 32 year old, original single stage paint, I knew there was going to be a nice turnaround, but I could tell there were some thin spots, so I wasn't shooting for 100% perfection on this one, just a basic clean up of the paint.  However, I was pleased with how it turned out!

071.jpg

Yes, those are original miles.  The interior was in excellent shape, but the paint....not so much.  To say the paint was in rough shape....would be a huge understatement.

Not bad from 10 feet:

002.jpg

But upon closer inspection:

007.jpg

82404A51-1AFC-4598-8BFD-9F55AF7304FB_zps

185B6441-3C27-41A3-8074-D62B9E1A5B97_zps

009.jpg

Must have been stored with an angry raccoon or some other creature that wanted to get inside.

010.jpg

1CC5EC4C-0AFD-44D1-A71D-BCB4925521CA_zps

It was relatively clean and free of any heavy debris or crud when it arrived, so I gave it a quick Waterless Wash wipedown.

Even though this was really only slated as a paint correction, there was no way I was letting this car leave my place with the wheels and tires looking like this:

CFA891FE-D97C-4958-9E92-ACCC868DE1BA_zps

The wheels were heavily oxidized, and the tires were seriously dirty and thirsty for some treatment.  I threw on a tape line, and went to work with some All Purpose Cleaner and a Tire Brush to deep clean the tires.  Once they were clean, I dressed them with Tire Shine and a Block Sponge.

Once the tires were dialed in, I turned my attention to the wheels.  I used a drill, Drill Backing Plate, 4" Metal Polishing Pads, and Metal Polish #1.  Once the wheels were polished up, I put on a coat of Quick Sealant to protect them.

I ended up spending almost 3 hours just on the wheels and tires and absolutely destroyed 2 of the Metal Polish pads.  Just a word of warning...if you're ever polishing these wheels, the machined faces of the holes in the wheels are VERY sharp.  ;)

E5208D77-7D4A-4A3F-9B85-997781E453D2_zps

FA2E9285-B24D-4307-AD2E-AAA937EC9567_zps

Now that the wheels and tires are done, I moved on to Clay Barring it with Detail Spray as lubricant.  It wasn't too badly contaminated so the clay didn't pull up much.

Post clay inspection:

020.jpg

84C55024-F0B1-4915-B807-E1FD5B010451_zps

D17E007D-2F11-4B1E-8E84-3A7831256B66_zps

7D32C319-26F7-43EE-B852-833A7A8E9A79_zps

013.jpg

My test section was the upper driver's side corner of the hood.  This was the result after one pass of Paint Correcting Polish with an Orange Foam Cutting Pads on the Cyclo:

016.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

Single stage paint is certainly hard on your pads:

5F8CEC12-32A1-4F87-80D8-E899FBBABF0D_zps

However, they can be saved with some All Purpose Cleaner and very hot water.

D212378C-BE08-44B6-A1BF-08A6E487A556_zps

The 50/50 difference all around the car was pretty starling, even for single stage paint, which typically corrects easier than base/clear coat paint:

023.jpg

Top of the passenger side front fender:

024.jpg

026.jpg

Passenger door:

027.jpg

Hood and fender all polished:

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

Driver side front fender:

033.jpg

034.jpg

With the flash:

036.jpg

Same area with the flash test, before and after:

040.jpg

038.jpg

From the fenders forward are all polished here:

043.jpg

046.jpg

Fixing the wild animal damage:

049.jpg

051.jpg

Passenger door:

052.jpg

Moving to the rear:

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

Driver's side rear quarter:

060.jpg

All polished up, and after a coat of Brilliant Glaze and Patriot Wax, The Ultimate FaceMelter!

061.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

076.jpg

068.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

081.jpg

All done, ready for delivery just before the rain hit!  Here's a quick iPhone shot sitting next to my filthy truck.  Notice the two very different shades of black here, one freshly polished and the other covered in a weeks worth of rain and road construction dust.  ;)

8BC67F15-76D1-4F5B-BD75-9F6A138FF620_zps

Those 50/50 shots are amazing!  This really speaks volumes about the cyclo paired with Adams polish.  Did you avoid using microfiber for any reason other than the foam was working?

Microfiber pads get clogged up so quickly with single stage that it ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth.  That, and I didn't want to be too aggressive with this old paint, so foam was working perfectly.

Thanks guys!

Great job! But the creepy face in this picture is going to give me nightmares:  :o

033.jpg

That's my wife. I'm telling her you said that! :jester:

Am I the only one that doesn't notice a difference......................?

Haha. Only kidding! Very nice turnaround! Single stage paint terrifies me, otherwise I would have a write-up of my dad's Nova.

Nothing to be terrified about! Other than it making a mess of your pads and needing more pads than normal, the processes are exactly the same. Plus, they make KILLER 50/50 shots. DO IT!!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!  Is that your garage?  I like better than the 'vette.

It is indeed. I really need to post some pictures of the remodel I did. It's quite a bit different than when we bought the place 1.5 years ago.

Nothing to be terrified about! Other than it making a mess of your pads and needing more pads than normal, the processes are exactly the same. Plus, they make KILLER 50/50 shots. DO IT!!!

Thing is, it was restored before he bought it, so it's not original paint and I have no clue how thick the paint is, and that's what scares me the most. I went to polish it one time with the cyclo and PFP and after one pass I stopped because it made me nervous.

Nick, phenomenal job on that single stage.

I am in complete agreement with the MF cutting pads vs. foam on single stage.  The foam pads can probably be cleaned and reused again, although their lifespan is shortened, if you use MF cutting pads you're probably definitely going to toss them on a single stage job like that, literally so much paint gets removed and trapped in the fibers.  Also, a second pass with foam and the correcting polish will yield more cut if needed, and probably finish a little nicer as well on the single stage.

For those wheels, nice work!  Metal polish pads I would definitely assume to be disposed after those things! 

Anyone else notice the final shots when Nick is done, those tires look fairly dry again, and almost satin like VRT?  They soaked that Tire Shine right up!

Nick, phenomenal job on that single stage.

I am in complete agreement with the MF cutting pads vs. foam on single stage.  The foam pads can probably be cleaned and reused again, although their lifespan is shortened, if you use MF cutting pads you're probably definitely going to toss them on a single stage job like that, literally so much paint gets removed and trapped in the fibers.  Also, a second pass with foam and the correcting polish will yield more cut if needed, and probably finish a little nicer as well on the single stage.

For those wheels, nice work!  Metal polish pads I would definitely assume to be disposed after those things! 

Anyone else notice the final shots when Nick is done, those tires look fairly dry again, and almost satin like VRT?  They soaked that Tire Shine right up!

The Metal Polish pads got chewed up pretty badly, so they were tossed...as a sacrifice to the Detailing Gods. :lol:

The tires did soak up a LOT of Tire Shine. I threw on a very thin coat right before it was delivered, but didn't capture any pics at that time. I had the car for 3 days and did the tires the first day, so you can see how much was absorbed over the three days it was in my garage.