Customer Service 866.965.0400

Taping before machine polishing?

gbod

Question

Greetings all!

I just acquired a big box-load of Adam's products, including a new Cyclo polisher.  I am going to practice machine polishing on my old daily drivers before I attack the black BMW. In watching all of the instructional videos, I don't see any instruction on taping off trim, badges, rubber gaskets, etc. before polishing.  In fact, in most of the videos, polishing is demonstrated on a big flat surface, and the whole topic of polishing in tighter areas and around trim isn't really demonstrated or addressed. This thread here talks about tape that no longer seems to be available from Adam's.  Somewhere i remember watching or reading somewhere that using VRT on the trim before polishing could alleviate the need for taping. Is taping recommended?  If so, what tape would the pro's recommend? (Please be specific!)

Thanks!

Edited by gbod

12 answers to this question

I don't tape much unless I'm doing a 50/50 shot and want to wow someone.

I do follow the recommended procedure of dressing the plastic trims and rubber seals with Super VRT before polishing, as it reduces any sort of staining by 90% in my experience.  If in a few weeks you see some polish stains on trim just wipe it down with APC and re-dress with VRT.

Not taping is more of a time factor for me although many do it, I also use common sense when polishing and tend to start my section passes away from heavy trim/seal areas, and if I make a pass over or near some trim its usually midway or longer down the buffing cycle so that I'm not getting as much product on the trim, if any.

If you prefer to tape just don't use any that have chemical edges like Frog Tape, etc.  3M makes good masking tape, I prefer the green roll for automotive use, Blue I use in the house.

Taping of trim and badges not only protects the car it also protects your pads..... Taping your gaps & cracks also makes for a neater job.

Yes you can use SVRT on your plastic and rubber trim. You are correct Adam's don't sell the tape anymore. I too vote for the green 3M tape.

I don't tape much unless I'm doing a 50/50 shot and want to wow someone.

I do follow the recommended procedure of dressing the plastic trims and rubber seals with Super VRT before polishing, as it reduces any sort of staining by 90% in my experience.  If in a few weeks you see some polish stains on trim just wipe it down with APC and re-dress with VRT.

Not taping is more of a time factor for me although many do it, I also use common sense when polishing and tend to start my section passes away from heavy trim/seal areas, and if I make a pass over or near some trim its usually midway or longer down the buffing cycle so that I'm not getting as much product on the trim, if any.

If you prefer to tape just don't use any that have chemical edges like Frog Tape, etc.  3M makes good masking tape, I prefer the green roll for automotive use, Blue I use in the house.

I treat all the trim first with SVRT. If some wax gets on the trim anyway I remove it with peanut butter. Works well and much easier than rubbing with APC and a utility towel.

+1 to both of these, which are spot-on.

Mike in Orlando, 6K posts!  Nice!    I agree with the above, and while I typically don't tape, it's because I typically use a Cyclo with very controllable 4" pads. 

When I used a large format polisher, I taped more.  Always worth the effort, IMHO.

Mike in Orlando, 6K posts!  Nice!    I agree with the above, and while I typically don't tape, it's because I typically use a Cyclo with very controllable 4" pads. 

When I used a large format polisher, I taped more.  Always worth the effort, IMHO.

BINGO!

I haven't once taped anything when using the Cyclo, but when the Flex was my primary machine, I always taped off trim, badges, and gaps.