Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which product to use?

thatryan

Question

I see several products for interior, but not sure what to use where! The Total Interior Cleaner I saw in the video was used on leather as well as dash and door panels (vinyl/plastic?) But there is also the leather cleaner? Which one is better for what scenario?

Does leather interior cleaner work on panels as well? Can it clean nav screens etc or is that just the total interior cleaner?

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Only glass cleaner is for nav screens.  The TID is more for maintenance and it is anti-static and leaves behind some protection/ dressing.  However, I find that on smooth plastics is streaks horribly, but not everyone experiences it.  LIC can be used on everything as well except for glass.  It is much stronger and a better cleaner but leaves no protection behind so you'd want to follow up with Leather Conditioner.  Also, neither are for fabric, that is where CUC comes in. 

I have the Interior Detailer, but prefer the Leather products.  I have leather/vinyl in both cars and stick to the Leather Cleaner when it needs cleaned (I do the seats once or twice a year) and the Leather Conditioner on everything.  And I use it each time I detail my rides. Dash, door panels, console, seats, steering wheel, etc. I like the sun protection factor in the Conditioner especially for the dash.

I prefer total interior detailer as an all-in-one interior product. I especially prefer it on the dash and door panels as it's quick and effective. If the interior is extremely dirty, which I don't think any of us really allow that to happen, then it's worth busting out the leather and interior cleaner, especially for seats. As far as the nav screen goes, do NOT use total interior detailer or leather and interior cleaner, use glass cleaner!

So, here's the short run down:

Dusty: total interior detailer

Slightly dirty (small dirt smudges): total interior detailer

Moderately dirty: total interior or leather and interior cleaner

Completely soiled/stained: leather and interior cleaner

It really depends on the condition.

Also, you can dilute leather and interior cleaner for lighter cleaning, however you'd still have to follow up with a conditioner afterwards. With total interior it cleans and protects (although not as protective as leather and interior conditioner)

Edited by egott_91

This is what I use and why...

Dash, leather conditioner, I like the shine it gives to the plastic.

General cleaning of plastic I use diluted APC or mainly leather and interior cleaner. The APC usually only when it's extremely dirty.

Door panels I use SVRT because it doesn't run if it rains and you open the door.

Carpet I obviously use the carpet products.

TID is great for quick wiipe downs in between cleaning.

I personally didn't like the satin finish the leather conditioner left. The TID has some cleaners, UV protection, and a matte finish. It's honestly perfect for newer cars and will still keep your stuff protected from the harsh sun.

Only glass cleaner is for nav screens.  The TID is more for maintenance and it is anti-static and leaves behind some protection/ dressing.  However, I find that on smooth plastics is streaks horribly, but not everyone experiences it.  LIC can be used on everything as well except for glass.  It is much stronger and a better cleaner but leaves no protection behind so you'd want to follow up with Leather Conditioner.  Also, neither are for fabric, that is where CUC comes in. 

I think it all depends on the "look" you want (as well as odor) and what type of car you're using.  I do agree with Matt above in that the TID streaks on smooth plastic pretty bad.  This just happened to me in that I used it on my dash (a 2013 Acura TSX) and left behind streakmarks I haven't had a chance to rub out yet.  What does everyone else typically use on the smooth plastic area?  I'm guessing the cleaner only?

Edited by kitt1987

I don't dress the interior with the Leather Conditioner, just on leather surfaces.  And yes I don't like the streaks the TID leaves either. 

On smooth plastic you honestly can probably use diluted VRT and be fine for dressing.  I don't think Waterless has UV inhibitors but its a nice wipedown cleaner, as well as Detail Spray (yes those are all options outside of the normal Adam's regimen).

I have been doing wipedowns and dressing for the interior (besides leather) with a non-Adam's product in recent months.

Just tried the Total Interior Detailer this weekend when detailing both of my vehicles.  I really like the product because of its versatility, finished matte look and smell.  I didn't notice any streaking but that's probably because of the surfaces of our dashes.  I actually did use the TID on our Nav screens and it worked well.  (Adam says in the video for TID that it can be used for Nav screens.)

Given that TID is a little cheaper (except that right now the Leather & Interior Cleaner is on sell) I'll use it as my maintenance cleaner and will use the L&IC in conjunction with the Conditioner every few months.

Edited by Texas Moe

This being said, you should always follow up with a final wipe down to ensure an even coating of ANY of the interior products.

Yes, but even with TID, I need to give multiple final wipes.  With the other product I use instead, I just need to give the one initial wipe and it comes out perfectly even.