Customer Service 866.965.0400

Minor swirls/scratches... The inevitable?

Z06Seal

Question

So when I got my Corvette, the car was virtually perfect. There was really nothing I can notice on the car as far any scratches or swirls. Once I used the white foam pads and the polish, there really wasn't anything on the car that I could see.

Fast forward 6 weeks which included at least one 2 bucket wash, 1 rinseless wash and several waterless washes (usually after anytime I drive the car) I started seeing some minor scratches on the car. I mean they are very minor which I can probably sport remove, but they're there. I've been very meticulous and careful when I clean this car. I clean it often too so it never gets too dirty to build up any dirt. I clean the washpad very well, use the grit guard, don't mix up tire and and body sponges etc. When I do waterless wash, I make sure I never use an area of the towel that I already used. rinseless wash I use 1 towel per panel as well.

Is it the inevitable?

Just wanted to hear other's opinions. I feel like I introduced most of them from when I did the 2 bucket wash, but I'm not 100%.

I mean the car isn't bad. if it was 99% before, it's now 97%. so it's not like it's going downhill.

Just sucks trying to keep it so clean and I see very shallow and short scratches on the clear.

Edited by Z06Seal

Yup. It's gonna happen. Keep you towels as clean and soft as you can helps, along with good layers of protection, but sometimes the little suckers still show up. Depends on the paint as well.

Sometimes you just want to keep the lights off in the garage for fear of finding something.

Yup. It's gonna happen. Keep you towels as clean and soft as you can helps, along with good layers of protection, but sometimes the little suckers still show up. Depends on the paint as well.

Sometimes you just want to keep the lights off in the garage for fear of finding something.

It's just my OCDness I suppose... I don't care about it as much on the daily drivers. they're also white and don't show anything lol

From learning from others here... Consider this... ANYTIME you 'touch' the paint... You're exposing the paint to the possibility of scratches and swirls.

No matter what... No matter how soft or how protected... We don't live in a vacuum and therefore there will ALWAYS be particles in the air, etc...

I'm working on how to live in a bubble. I'll let you know when I figure it out. Hint- don't hold your breath.

^This.

Any touch to the vehicle over time is inevitable.

If your washing/drying regimen is sound, you may only need to break out the machine once a year to do a quick pass of Finishing Polish to pick up the fine scratches and swirls. 

Correction, on the other hand is something you don't want to do yearly on the same car, because if you have to correct it every year then you need to go back and look at your washing/drying techniques and regimen.

Revive will be your best friend when it comes to fine scratches.  By hand, but worth it. I used a couple gallons on my black one over the years and it was one of my favorite products for keeping that black Vette looking good. 

You didn't mention what kind of towels you're using, that can have a big impact too. I noticed with my trucks if I used a nice cotton towel instead of Adam's microfiber towels I got some small swirls. I always do my testing with my trucks so that the car gets the best treatment. I use the master blaster to dry it unless it's a waterless wash. If it's a waterless wash I spray a really heavy coat on and dry it the way adam's video shows. you don't want to hurt her:) Here's a couple of photo's of my girl.

post-12384-0-28155700-1428860004_thumb.jpg

post-12384-0-15236600-1428860044_thumb.jpg

Some level of imperfection is to be expected if you actually expect to drive / use your car. Perfect is for trailer queens and museum cars - anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

That being said the entire point of what we do as detailing enthusiasts is to try and get to our own level of 'perfect' and minimize the amount of damage we introduce in our daily car and cleaning. All the standard rules apply: Touch as little as possible. When you do make sure its quality materials and lots of lubrication involved. Light pressure and straight 1-way strokes anytime you're cleaning a dirty panel (waterless, rinseless, etc)

A reasonable goal is to only 'need' to do touchup polishing a couple times a year once you've got your car to the condition you want it.

Some level of imperfection is to be expected if you actually expect to drive / use your car. Perfect is for trailer queens and museum cars - anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

That being said the entire point of what we do as detailing enthusiasts is to try and get to our own level of 'perfect' and minimize the amount of damage we introduce in our daily car and cleaning. All the standard rules apply: Touch as little as possible. When you do make sure its quality materials and lots of lubrication involved. Light pressure and straight 1-way strokes anytime you're cleaning a dirty panel (waterless, rinseless, etc)

A reasonable goal is to only 'need' to do touchup polishing a couple times a year once you've got your car to the condition you want it.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to decide whether or not to use finishing polish and my cyclo or just revive by hand. I'll probably glaze and seal and after pollen season i'll put on a coat of patriot. The paint is in really good shape, my dealer let me have it when they unloaded it from the truck, and I don't have the usual swirl marks etc. Not trying to be lazy I just want to take off as little as possible. So far I've just washed it and used detail spray or waterless wash. 

So when I got my Corvette, the car was virtually perfect. There was really nothing I can notice on the car as far any scratches or swirls. Once I used the white foam pads and the polish, there really wasn't anything on the car that I could see.

Fast forward 6 weeks which included at least one 2 bucket wash, 1 rinseless wash and several waterless washes (usually after anytime I drive the car) I started seeing some minor scratches on the car. I mean they are very minor which I can probably sport remove, but they're there. I've been very meticulous and careful when I clean this car. I clean it often too so it never gets too dirty to build up any dirt. I clean the washpad very well, use the grit guard, don't mix up tire and and body sponges etc. When I do waterless wash, I make sure I never use an area of the towel that I already used. rinseless wash I use 1 towel per panel as well.

Is it the inevitable?

Just wanted to hear other's opinions. I feel like I introduced most of them from when I did the 2 bucket wash, but I'm not 100%.

I mean the car isn't bad. if it was 99% before, it's now 97%. so it's not like it's going downhill.

Just sucks trying to keep it so clean and I see very shallow and short scratches on the clear.

Have you thought about using something like xpel, 3m, or suntek? I'm pretty sure I'm going that route with mine in the next couple of weeks. Show us some pics!

Can someone describe their "touch-up polishing" procedure/products? I've thought about doing this throughout the year to keep up on the minor scratches, but have been hesitant because I feel like I would have to reapply all products again (seal, glaze, wax) afterwards. Is this correct? 

Can someone describe their "touch-up polishing" procedure/products? I've thought about doing this throughout the year to keep up on the minor scratches, but have been hesitant because I feel like I would have to reapply all products again (seal, glaze, wax) afterwards. Is this correct? 

What I do when I find minor swirl marks, etc it grab my cyclo and the white foam pads and finishing polish. I seem to have better luck with that than anything I've used. If it's too tight a spot to get to with the cyclo I use revive by hand. I honestly have a lot better luck with the cyclo than anything else i've tried and most of the time I can get to any spot with one pad even if the other is not touching the car.

Yes - polishing will remove sealant, glaze and wax from your paint.

When I have to do some "touch-up" polishing I remove everything from the panel with 50% Isopropal Alcohol.  I then polish as necessary and re-apply sealant, glaze and wax.

Works great!

Yes - polishing will remove sealant, glaze and wax from your paint.

When I have to do some "touch-up" polishing I remove everything from the panel with 50% Isopropal Alcohol.  I then polish as necessary and re-apply sealant, glaze and wax.

Works great!

What he said! You can also use all purpose cleaner. Deep wheel cleaner will do it too, I found that out last night when I thought I'd grabbed detail spray.lol

I use GWDT to dry the car off. it gets washed after every use. 

I use double soft or single soft towels. I have some chemical guys green towels I use as well. 

my wash mat is pretty new. I think I wanna try that sponge though. the wool like one sorta grabs stuff really easy and doesn't like to let go. I usually look through it after I put it through the bucket and rub. 

Just thought I'd mention this. I got my whole car wrapped with xpel ultimate. It really helps with the swirls. It's only been a couple of weeks but I haven't noticed the swirls when I wash it and dry it. I haven't coated it with sealer yet but that's coming soon. I did a thorough polishing on it before I covered it so that probably helped a lot.

Just thought I'd mention this. I got my whole car wrapped with xpel ultimate. It really helps with the swirls. It's only been a couple of weeks but I haven't noticed the swirls when I wash it and dry it. I haven't coated it with sealer yet but that's coming soon. I did a thorough polishing on it before I covered it so that probably helped a lot.

Not everyone can afford the 3-4k price tag of wrapping their whole vehicle in Xpel Ultimate lol