Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommend a good water hose

MattieDSC

Question

Hey guys this is prob a very dumb question but I hate my water hose. It's one of the never kink from Lowes and it's so stiff and heavy. I hate how it retains its shape and bangs against the car bc it isn't flexible. Please recommend a nice flexible but quality hose if you have one. Thanks in advance

Edited by MattieDSC

Anyone have an idea of how the Craftsman compares to the Goodyear rubber hose? I like it so far, but I do regret getting the shorter hose (I didn't plan on getting the reel at the time). I will probably get the longer one if I feel like the reel is naked with the 75'.

I have the Craftsman and the Goodyear hoses (about 6 years old), and both work fine.  I have 2 lengths attached (50' + 25') for both.  One brand is on a hose hanger, and the other is coiled in a large plastic plant pot for mobile jobs.  No difference in how they are holding up.  We do not get cold weather, so they stay outside all year.  

We don't get cold enough to winterize mine either. I just make sure most of the water is out if we get below zero. This is my first rubber hose and I like it. I have to get used to the occasional kink. I still use my old Sears no kink in the front yard, that's a great hose!

I have Sears rubber hoses that are over 30 years old. (I bought them as an infant.  :) ) Several ends have been replaced, but the hose is still fine. Occasionally I'll drain the water out for the winter. Sometimes not. Vast majority of winters they are outside or in an unheated garage.

Use a black " contractor" grade hose, bought at a farm supply store 20 years or so ago, it seems to survive everything from being run over, frozen solid, twisted, kinked and just keeps on going. Have it coiled on hose hanger in garage now. At this house have floor drains in garage, so can leave hose hooked up. Have tried a couple of the flex hoses and every one has blown in the middle for no apparent reason. They are lightweight, but I'll never buy another as I don't need the frustration.

I was forever replacing my garden hose. I finally broke down and purchased Flex-O-Gen hose made by Gilmour. Lifetime Guarantee. Best purchase I've ever made. If the hose ever fails, Cut off the couplings and send it back. They will send you a new section of hose. Can't beat it.

I know this is an old thread, but it has become relevant to me recently. I have had a green no-kink type hose I got from Sears about 10 years ago and I have already replaced the ends on it twice but it has been a great hose. I bought a Craftsman black rubber hose (75' 5/8"dia) and a Strongway (very similar to Eley) 150' hose reel.

46434.jpg

Anyone have an idea of how the Craftsman compares to the Goodyear rubber hose? I like it so far, but I do regret getting the shorter hose (I didn't plan on getting the reel at the time). I will probably get the longer one if I feel like the reel is naked with the 75'.

Thanks for reviving the thread I was reading it last week. I'm also in the market for a reel and hose. I saw the one you bought on Amazon for $129.99 and free shipping which is tempting when Eley is more and does not have free shipping. I only want to buy a reel once. Do you think I should get the strongway brand? I've had the Eley in my cart with the 100' Eley rubber hose for 245 plus shipping. I just looked and they have free shipping on Eley! The quick connectors look like a good free add on also. I might have to pull the trigger on the Eley since free shipping on their site.

To my knowledge the only difference between the two are the Eley has an adjustable brake to slow down the reel if it gets going too fast. The Strongway has a lock but no brake. From the reviews I saw there is no need for a brake as it doesn't over-spin. I ended up buying the Strongway through Amazon since they offered free shipping and a $50 instant credit for using their credit card. So I basically I got it shipped for $87. That was hard to beat! I'll give a review once it comes in.

Edited by chops1sc

Thanks for reviving the thread I was reading it last week. I'm also in the market for a reel and hose. I saw the one you bought on Amazon for $129.99 and free shipping which is tempting when Eley is more and does not have free shipping. I only want to buy a reel once. Do you think I should get the strongway brand? I've had the Eley in my cart with the 100' Eley rubber hose for 245 plus shipping. I just looked and they have free shipping on Eley! The quick connectors look like a good free add on also. I might have to pull the trigger on the Eley since free shipping on their site.

I have had the wall mount eley reel and the 4 wheel eley cart for a few years now and they are very high quality reels, brake seems to work well so the hose doesn't spin off an extra wrap or 2 if u pull the hose quickly and come to a stop. I remember shipping being quite high, so if they are offering free shipping that's a great deal! Highly recommend the eley carts

I can tell you it is very flexible even when cold. I have a hose reel so I cannot confirm your actual question but I have never had any issues when I use it in the winter. Keep in mind winter for me here in central South Carolina is usually between 35 & 55 degees any given day.

Being 45 miles to the west of Chris, we stay a bit warmer during the winter ranging from 35.5 to 55.5 and I also have a hose reel and no issues.  What I do notice is that when it gets to around 100 during the summer, it is very flexible and almost feels mushy until the cooler starts going through it.