Customer Service 866.965.0400

Son diagnosed with autism today.

lawson4450

Well my 4 year old Jacob was tested today and diagnosed with autism. I feel confident that he will be ok as even though he has autistic tendancies he does not do some things that other serious cases have. It was a punch to the gut when they first told us but those of you who know me knows i will push for the best care for my boy. I think in the long run he will be ok and function just fine but he will need some help and i will do everything i can to give him the tools he needs to get better.

My heart sank when I read your message earlier this afternoon my friend. I remember the feeling like it was yesterday, even though it was over 6 years ago now. It will not be without its challenges, but it will also have rewards tied to the smallest accomplishments. A diagnosis like this will put a lot of things into a sharp perspective for sure.

As I said earlier, the best thing is that you have the diagnosis. Sometimes thats the biggest fight - and without it access to services and therapy aren't there. I don't know the specifics on the support systems in your area and they are vastly different state by state and county by county, but get registered with your local advocacy group and seek out places to get support. Things like ABA therapy are very important and the sooner you get him started the better.

You know I'm here if you need to talk. Theres certainly not much I can say that will take the sting out of it, but if you need someone whos been there to bounce questions off of or just vent to I got you covered.

As the father of a son with Aspergers, get out and learn as much as you can. Sounds like your son is on the high functioning end of the spectrum (like mine).

Helps to keep things in perspective. It's kinda like the difference between a PC and a Mac. They can do the same things, but in different ways. And they can't talk to each other without a lot of specialized work. But they can do it. Parents have to learn first though! My son's mother still hasn't. That's a whole nuther story!

Once you learn how they think and react, life is a bit easier for all of you.

Mine is now 24, drives, goes to community college (simulation and game development with a side order of programming), and has an AS degree. He still has issues, mostly social, but he's learning (he tends to take things literally. I have a LOT of fun with that). He also inherited why sick warped sarcastic sense of humor. Unfortunately his sense of timing and audience sux!

You didn't mention how old he is. Mine was diagnosed about 12 years ago. He was fortunate to have some good teachers in public schools as well. I worked with him and his teachers all the time.

You will find that he has one special interest (a lot like trains for some reason. Mine is a very good sci-fi writer), learn to cultivate that.

We like to have preconceived notions about what we want our kids to be. Those notions usually go sideways for many reasons. Remember that your son isn't handicapped (essentially, we are, because we don't know how to handle it), he's just different, and requires different treatment and training.

Find a nearby Autism library/bookstore and start studying!

Thoughts and Prayers sent your way. With a son that has a life long disability, keep doing reaserch and get in contact with support groups that can help you get the best services and medical staff available in your area.

I agree with Dylan......the best thing is that you have the diagnosis. Sometimes thats the biggest fight.....

Now you can consentrate on what is needed instead of trying to figure out what is wrong.  

Your family will be in my prayers.

Prayers with you and your family! Looks like you have a few solid resources here to bounce ideas off of. Never be afraid to ask questions or seek help. We can all use it, especially in times like now.

Sorry to hear that Dan.  I know right now your head is reeling, but once you have time to absorb it and learn more about it, you'll learn how to deal with it.  And talk to other parents whose kids have it.  My wife and I suspect that our granddaughter is on the scale somewhere too, but our daughter won't discuss it.  You and Dylan should have private convos  since he's dealing with the same thing. 

Darlene and I will add your son in our prayers at night along with Dylan's boy.  Our list is really long but we always have room to add one more name.  

Take care buddy.  :grouphug:

Thanks guys i knew i would find support here so thats why i brought it up. My son is 4 so its early and our publicschool syestem has the programs for him so we are looking into things. I plan to research central jersey autism groups and may join anautism speaks walk to raise money. And Dylan i will hit you up soon thanks

Dan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Dan, you know I'm in education, and if you need to know or have a question regarding what the school is required to do by law, just call, post,or PM me day or night!

Ok thanks the secretary for the mayor of the town I work in her sister does this stuff and knows all the ins and outs I just need to meet with the school people and see if they try any shananigans. I also need to find the best schools for this stuff but I know the franklin township school system has a set up so we will try that first.