Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stupid Dealer installed Window Etch, can it be removed??

Ricky Bobby

Question

Long story short my wife got a smoking deal on a 2014 VW Sportwagen TDI DSG, loaded up, about a week ago, had 20 miles on it, never was registered.  The price was right so her Black Rav4 got traded (thank you God), its Pure white on Cornsilk Beige V-tex leatherette (in my experience V-tex is extremely durable and more so than real leather), Navigation, Pano sunroof, etc.  Best part is we are averaging 39 mpg mixed and haven't even broken in the engine yet haha!

(Hence why I've been a bit quiet on the boards lately, I've been re-educating myself on VW since I sold my 2008 GLI in 2012, I'm a bit rusty, ANNNNNND between the paint decon, clay, and new car prep I had to complete on the vehicle I've been busy as can be - after a year on the lot that paint was hammered with everything, but surprisingly not much defects or swirls/holograms, just a ton of fallout and rail dust)

Anyway, since it was on the lot a year they installed that stupid VIN etching on the windows, Dylan or any of the pros, let me know if there is any way to get it off.  Friggin dealer thought I'd be dumb enough to pay for it (they put $349 on the sales sheet!) but once I told him there was no way on God's green earth I'd pay for something that I can install myself for $19.95, they changed their mind and took the price off, but told me "they can't remove it once installed"

I went over it with clay lube and a razor blade and smoothed the glass out, but it is still there visually.  You can feel it on the other windows if you run your finger over it.  If its possible to dissolve it with a chemical I'd prefer that, I'm sure there are people out there that removed it.

Looks similar to the frosted effect on window in picture, similar to frosted glass.

d94539a7a9fedaa0df6461382dab2038x.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ricky Bobby

15 answers to this question

Well it's acid etched into the glass so I am going to say that it will not be able to be removed.  You could potentially polish it our with a dedicated glass polish, however it's of my opinion that it will be some chore and the glass will be 'wavy' in the area you attempt to remove it from.

Just my $.02

I agree with Scott........it's acid etched so I doubt too that you can remove it.  Only thing I can think of is to figure out a way to tint it darker to the same tint as your windows.  Aside from that, I can't offer much help.

I did a search and found this though:  http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-remove-glass-etching  

Sounds like metal polish might do it.  Another guy on YouTube used a Dremel.  

Well it's acid etched into the glass so I am going to say that it will not be able to be removed.  You could potentially polish it our with a dedicated glass polish, however it's of my opinion that it will be some chore and the glass will be 'wavy' in the area you attempt to remove it from.

It will look worse than if you just leave it. 

+1 to both of these.

Edited by Norton

Its on more than 1 window, basically all of them lol.

I'll just make it smooth with clay lube and razor blade like I did on the one.  Adams metal polish is pretty mild so even if I go over it by hand its not going to mar the glass unless I'm using it on a rotary with the drill, I'll report back if it helps at all.

EDIT:  Metal polish although its great at cleaning glass, didn't do anything to make the etching go away.  I'll just make the windows smooth with the razor and some clay lube and I guess I'll have to live with it.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Its on more than 1 window, basically all of them lol.

I'll just make it smooth with clay lube and razor blade like I did on the one.  Adams metal polish is pretty mild so even if I go over it by hand its not going to mar the glass unless I'm using it on a rotary with the drill, I'll report back if it helps at all.

EDIT:  Metal polish although its great at cleaning glass, didn't do anything to make the etching go away.  I'll just make the windows smooth with the razor and some clay lube and I guess I'll have to live with it.

That sucks.