Customer Service 866.965.0400

Patriot Question

PT3

Question

Damn! Now I understand what everyone raves about. It REALLY makes the car look wet! LoVE looking out over the hood. It's so reflective the front edge practically disappears on the horizon to the road surface directly in front of the car. (Hope that makes sense)

I've got a question -

My daily driver stays outside. I treat it with LPS 2-4 times a year and I wash/wipe it down 2-4 times a week (except winter) to keep it looking clean....

Now, the Question is; How long will Patriot last on top of LPS on a car that sits outside 99.7% of the time?

I ask because I used it last weekend and I wanted to put another coat on today and get that 'pop' again. It's still looking good, but I feel the 'pop' has faded.

Edited by PT3

12 answers to this question

Really just depends on your climate...however you should get at least 2+ months out of an application based on what I've experienced using it on a DD here in AZ weather. 

I've gone 4 months between applications and it was still beading well. 

I ask because I used it last weekend and I wanted to put another coat on today and get that 'pop' again. It's still looking good, but I feel the 'pop' has faded.

Thats just visual.  Patriot didn't degrade that much in a week.  You should probably get 2 months out of an app on top of LPS, if its outside all the time and sunny, etc, cut that in half.

So the minimum I'd go is monthly before another coat.  Remember you are applying wax so it is actually sitting on top of the paint, not bonded to it like sealant.  If you build too much "on top" of the paint you will actually create a negative visual effect.

Honestly on your gray, and if you like applying more protection, you should probably go with HGG, you could literally apply that each week with your wash and won't get a build up like you would with wax.  I've spoke with Dylan about this and yes theres always an extreme, like you don't want to apply it daily, but you could apply it weekly or bi-weekly with no ill effects.  It would give you the fresh "pop" you're looking for.

Conclusion, don't use traditional wax weekly.  You could use Brilliant Glaze often like Chris said, its just not something I use in my regimen as I don't like fillers.

Thats just visual. Patriot didn't degrade that much in a week. You should probably get 2 months out of an app on top of LPS, if its outside all the time and sunny, etc, cut that in half.

So the minimum I'd go is monthly before another coat. Remember you are applying wax so it is actually sitting on top of the paint, not bonded to it like sealant. If you build too much "on top" of the paint you will actually create a negative visual effect.

Honestly on your gray, and if you like applying more protection, you should probably go with HGG, you could literally apply that each week with your wash and won't get a build up like you would with wax. I've spoke with Dylan about this and yes theres always an extreme, like you don't want to apply it daily, but you could apply it weekly or bi-weekly with no ill effects. It would give you the fresh "pop" you're looking for.

Conclusion, don't use traditional wax weekly. You could use Brilliant Glaze often like Chris said, its just not something I use in my regimen as I don't like fillers.

BG has some filling properties, but I've honestly never noticed it hiding any imperfections, no matter how small. I know there are some glazes out there that have a lot of fillers to mask imperfections, BG isn't one of them.

Thats just visual.  Patriot didn't degrade that much in a week.  You should probably get 2 months out of an app on top of LPS, if its outside all the time and sunny, etc, cut that in half.

So the minimum I'd go is monthly before another coat.  Remember you are applying wax so it is actually sitting on top of the paint, not bonded to it like sealant.  If you build too much "on top" of the paint you will actually create a negative visual effect.

Honestly on your gray, and if you like applying more protection, you should probably go with HGG, you could literally apply that each week with your wash and won't get a build up like you would with wax.  I've spoke with Dylan about this and yes theres always an extreme, like you don't want to apply it daily, but you could apply it weekly or bi-weekly with no ill effects.  It would give you the fresh "pop" you're looking for.

Conclusion, don't use traditional wax weekly.  You could use Brilliant Glaze often like Chris said, its just not something I use in my regimen as I don't like fillers.

Gotcha on not using wax too often. Totally makes sense to me.

As for the HGG...I'm not a fan of the application method. Since I'm outside when I was the car, I want to get it dried ASAP to minimize water spots. So then I need to use the dry app method... But with that method it seems I need 3 hands. One for the spray bottle, one for the wet towel and one for the dry towel. Whereas with the wax, I have the applicatior and tin...apply. Walk to get the towel, put down the tin and applicator walk back, the wax is ready for removal. (I don't have a driveway or garage that allow for a cart to minimize the back and forth so please don't suggest it!)

Though, Ricky...you WILL be happy to learn I'm having my garage done to make room to store my incoming 2016 GT3 in 9-11 months. The wait is brutal!

I'm a big fan of Brilliant Glaze, but IMHO not even that quite pops like Patriot. Example, I did my (silver) Siverado with it and my wife noticed the difference right away. So I did her Imperial Blue TBSS with it. We drove that out to see my 92 year old mom. She took one look at the TBSS and commented it looked cleaner than usual. It should be noted my mom really does care about keeping her car (black/ gold 1980 Chevy Citation X-11) clean, and really loves it when I detail it for her.

My point being, Patriot really pops, but your conditions will determine how ling it will last, and how often you should reapply. I go 4-6 months on my DD before I worry about it.

Bruce

Gotcha on not using wax too often. Totally makes sense to me.

As for the HGG...I'm not a fan of the application method. Since I'm outside when I was the car, I want to get it dried ASAP to minimize water spots. So then I need to use the dry app method... But with that method it seems I need 3 hands. One for the spray bottle, one for the wet towel and one for the dry towel. Whereas with the wax, I have the applicatior and tin...apply. Walk to get the towel, put down the tin and applicator walk back, the wax is ready for removal. (I don't have a driveway or garage that allow for a cart to minimize the back and forth so please don't suggest it!)

Though, Ricky...you WILL be happy to learn I'm having my garage done to make room to store my incoming 2016 GT3 in 9-11 months. The wait is brutal!

Understood.  Then keep your regimen to do Patriot monthly to every 6 weeks.  I just wouldnt apply it weekly.

With the LPS as a base you have a ton of protection on there, nothing must stick to that M5!

Looking forward to the GT3, excited for you man for sure, and finally will get to see that garage put to good use :)

Please tell me you are still able to get a GT3 with a 3rd pedal, if there was ever a drivers car, that is it.....

Understood.  Then keep your regimen to do Patriot monthly to every 6 weeks.  I just wouldnt apply it weekly.

With the LPS as a base you have a ton of protection on there, nothing must stick to that M5!

Looking forward to the GT3, excited for you man for sure, and finally will get to see that garage put to good use :)

Please tell me you are still able to get a GT3 with a 3rd pedal, if there was ever a drivers car, that is it.....

Thanks bud! Appreciate it.

There's not much that sticks to the M! Especially after I hit the highway with my lead foot and 575hp twin-turbo V8 underneath my right foot! Lol. But seriously... When I do a 2-bucket I rinse with the PW... There's no visible dirt in the bucket after I'm done. Lol. Granted I do take a good bit of time to rinse thoroughly!

As for the GT3... I'm stoked! But the wait is going to be brutal. And as for that 3rd pedal...NOPE... Not even an option. The engineers decided the car was too fast to give the driver another task. The nice thing about the PDK-S in the GT3 is it's got different hardware and software from the regular PDK. It's truly an automated manual... So the computer will not shift for you... And you can put it into neutral by pulling back on both shift paddles at the same time. I would have opted for the PDK either way as I'm getting the GT3 to track and eventually race wheel to wheel. The PDK allows the driver to focus on the right line, steering and throttle input, etc... And with shift times at less than 100 milliseconds, each shift is approx a half a car length difference from a standard gearbox. If you haven't driven a PDK you may just change your tune after you do! LOL

As for the garage... The contractor starts on Saturday. So while the garage is being built out for the small-ish GT3, I'm very curious to see if the M5 will fit and still give me room to detail.

I have a feeling they both will fit :)  And wow on the GT3, its gotta be a true drivers beast!

Glad you are like me, after a thorough PW rinse and pre-foaming, there is not much dirt left on the paint when actually washing the car (which is a good thing!), the less contaminants you have to mechanically agitate off the paint the less there is that could scratch!

That little $100 Ryobi was a gem of a find, wasn't it?  I love mine, need a foam cannon though soon.

I have a feeling they both will fit :)  And wow on the GT3, its gotta be a true drivers beast!

Glad you are like me, after a thorough PW rinse and pre-foaming, there is not much dirt left on the paint when actually washing the car (which is a good thing!), the less contaminants you have to mechanically agitate off the paint the less there is that could scratch!

That little $100 Ryobi was a gem of a find, wasn't it?  I love mine, need a foam cannon though soon.

Thanks bud!

Yeah... I'm stoked about the GT3!!! Just stinks about the wait....but it just gives me time to get my garage in order and get my mods figured out.

As for the foam cannon... I'm really happy with the MTM, FYI.

Yea there are a lot of variables on how long your wax or sealant will last.....the best thing you can use to get your paint to pop is BG. You can apply it every weekend and it won't build up like wax will.

Have to agree here.  The BG really works best on dark cars to get that quick wet look.  I used it regularly on my black Vette and dark red Impala.  Now with the lighter cars, I really like the HGG to get that pop.  Can't go wrong with either one. 

Have to agree here. The BG really works best on dark cars to get that quick wet look. I used it regularly on my black Vette and dark red Impala. Now with the lighter cars, I really like the HGG to get that pop. Can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks Rich. I just received both G&G and BG....!

I figure I'll find a chance to use both at different times.

Edited by PT3