Customer Service 866.965.0400

Liquid Paint Sealant residue

KSRegalGS

Question

Has anyone ever noticed a film left behind from LPS? I did a strip wash and clayed the surface before applying so I know the surface was properly prepped. After applying a thin layer of LPS by hand I could see an oil like film left on the paint. I could take a fresh microfiber, wipe in any direction, and at the right angle I could see smear marks going in the last direction I wiped. The product was allowed to haze. I'm just curious whether the product properly adhered to the paint as a sealant should.

6 answers to this question

Hi Kyle, I'm sorry you're having this inconvenience with LPS. I've experienced this smearing with LPS on one occasion - on a dark red metallic F150, applying it outside in the shade on a very hot day. In this instance, I applied LPS by hand. I feel that I applied too much, and the Single Soft microfiber towel I used to remove the residue already had a good bit of Paint Correcting Polish and Paint Finishing Polish built up into the towel. What was the temperature outside or inside while you applied the LPS? What towel were you using for removal? For LPS specifically, I prefer Single Soft Towels over our Double Softs.

I always remember to shake up the LPS more vigorously than other products before applying it (make sure that dispenser pull cap is closed first!), and then I use two sides of the towel for removal on each panel - with the towel folded into fourths, I will wipe the panel with one side of the towel, then flip it over to a fresh side and wipe that same panel again. Once that towel is saturated with product, I will switch it out for another fresh one. I usually end up using one or two Single Softs per vehicle for removal of LPS, then they go into the wash basket. If it is still smearing for you after that, you could go over it with a coat of Brilliant Glaze after an hour or so or even the next day if you don't have time, to aid in removing those smear marks.

I like to use my Cyclo or Flex as much as possible for applying LPS because it applies it in a perfectly thin even layer that is easier removal for me, but it is still perfectly fine to apply it by hand like you did. For tight areas like side mirrors or intricate areas on a bumper, I will use a microfiber applicator by hand.

For your last concern, the product should have still adhered to the clear coat properly, but a quick test would be to hose down the area and see if the water beads and rolls off of the curved surfaces. As always, if you aren't satisfied with the results, give our Customer Service a call on Monday and we will help take care of it for you!

I applied LPS to my wife's car yesterday. As I'll almost always do, first thing this morning I wiped the entire car down with WW and WW microfiber towels, before inspecting my work. I too will get the greasy looking film, the WW wipe down takes care of it for me.

^im with Dave. I know all you guys are nuts about rushing the sealant application process so you can top with glaze and wax etc etc, and I will go against the grain here although Adam's says otherwise on the bottle.

1) let the sealant cure for an hour or more on the paint and let the cross linking polymers do their job. I will let the haze cure overnight if I am sealing at night and you'll be amazed at how awesome it comes off when it's left to cure longer.

2). Shake shake Shake that bottle good! Before use and during use!

3). Thin is in! Apply seriously as thin as possible. If you have to question it, apply it thinner. I only need about 4-5 dots of product for a panel, probably 1/4 to 1/2 oz to seal a midsize car or SUV

4) Step back and admire your work. Sometimes I will take a second double soft out to remove residues on a larger car as your towel may get gummed up with residue when removing

Thanks for the replies; gotta love the support on this forum!  The temps have been in the mid 60's recently.  After I made my last attempt to wipe the car down I let it sit overnight and then topped it off with Buttery Wax the following morning.  I didn't notice any marks after the wax application. 

I recalled the "thin is in" w.r.t. applying LPS, but there's limitations to applying thin with a microfiber pad. 

^Trust me once the applicator is "primed" with product initially it only takes a couple dots per panel on your applicator.  I have been applying liquid sealants by hand for 5+ years now and never an issue if following the tips (and obviously not applying in sun or excess heat)