Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter Washing Video

Joe@Adams

Question

Hi Everyone,

As you may know, Adam made a video a long while ago about washing your car during the winter.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-15%20at%202.51.4

As you can see, this video had an awesome amount of views and was very informative.  Recently Adam and I ventured back to Hogback Car Wash in Golden, CO, where the Coors Brewery is, to re-shoot the Winter Washing video.  With the add on of Adam's Polishes H2O Guard and Gloss, the whole process of Winter Washing is easier then ever. 

I would love feedback on the video and just general thoughts on Winter Washing.  Adam is the master and is always thinking simplicity so keep that in mind while watching.  Enjoy and I look forward to what you all have to say.

12 answers to this question

I thought the vid was great and the information was easy to grasp. I would be a bit hesitant personally to spray down the door jambs as he did. 

I do agree I personally wouldnt spend that kind of money on my current DD in the winter but hey to each their own on that part. 

Great video! Before I had a garage I had to wash like this, year round. I would put the buckets of water in the trunk and head 1 mile to the coin-op. I always tried to go early in the morning so I was not holding anyone up that was waiting behind me. In the winter I had to be quick because when it was really cold the soap would freeze to the car before I got back around to wash it off.

Great video as always Joe! I love the split screen cuts and pop-up information tips. Each new video you cut together keeps looking more and more professional with more educational value as well. Keep up the awesome work :)

Deffinetly a great video and I agree the split screens are a real plus. Nice work.

Joe,

Excellent work on the video.

Very clear, concise, and easy to follow the message (instructions) Adam is trying to deliver regarding the Winter Washing process.

The pop-ups draw the viewers attention to the point being made, and the split screens add to keeping the viewers attention to ensure nothing being shown in the process is overlooked. 

:2thumbs: 

Joe and Adam - Great job re-shooting the video, for sure!  Adam, you are right always simplistic and I enjoy his simple processes.  Btw, how the heck did he not age a day in 6 years!  I thought it was the same video at first, puffy jacket and all!

Some other tips for those of us who may not want to spend the $15-20 but yet want to do an EFFICIENT wash in winter-

My self wash takes $3 to start and you can add quarters as needed, $3 gets you 5 minutes.  I usually add $5 to start, but before I add the quarters, I go around with the APC, and DWC, and spray everything down and use the brushes real quick - its usually cold enough to where they don't dry, but if they are starting to dry, I just spritz the wheel and tire again, either with more cleaner, OR diluted Rinseless/Waterless type product to keep them wet.

Then, I will pre-soak the salt/grime with diluted rinseleess wash in a 1 gallon garden sprayer, you'd be impressed at how much it breaks up just by doing this.  Also hit the wheels/tires again to keep them wet before you turn on the coin op pressure washer.

Then, I add my $5 in quarters which gets me about 7-8 minutes, at this time, I go over each wheel, wheel well, and undercarriage where I can get it and rinse down the car well from the top down (engine bay and door jambs are optional but you can do them if you want to) - Usually after all of this is done, you are left with very little left on the surface, maybe some road film but the bulk of the dirt and grim is gone.

Next step, optional whether you want to hit the car with the soap and bucket, and spend $3 more to rinse down again.

Alternatively, if you have a bucket of MF towels (about 10) and 1 gallon of water plus 1/2 to 1 oz of Rinseless, you can either stay in your engine bay and do a rinseless wash on the rinsed, mostly clean, wet vehicle, and dry in the same step, and after each panel is cleaned you can apply and buff the HGG.  This negates the need for the additional $3 to rinse again if using the soap, and is my personal preferred method.

I love soap and a bucket for sure with warm water, sometimes I'm either pressed for time or don't want to do the multiple $3 rounds of rinsing - I wish my self wash allowed "pay as you need" quarters, I could probably get by with $5 in quarters each time. 

If the self wash is crowded, taking a bucket of towels with the rinseless wash allows you to pull out of the wash bay once you do your rinsing of the pre-soaked car and wheels/tires, and you can complete your rinseless wash elsewhere and privately in the parking lot, where you can take your time and not feel rushed.  I do this many times in the winter and have yet to mar any of my vehicles, and later in the afternoon or earlier in the day the self wash is usually quiet, so most of the time I am in the enclosed bay completing it.

GREAT video Adam, and thanks for updating it with G&G and keeping it simple!  Winter washing is very therapeutic for me too!