Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Dedicated Bug Remover Product?

Steve_S

Question

Hello everyone, I believe I have looked everywhere, but does Adam's make a dedicated bug remover? If not, why? Seems like a genuine product that the company is missing out on. 

If Adam's doesn't have this product, what is the best method/product for removing bugs? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Steve_S

21 answers to this question

There has to be a better and easier way then using clay at every wash cycle.  I have a friend that recommended a product (don't want to name it here) that is strictly a bug/tar remover pre-wash that seems like a decent way.  Just a little shocked that I can't find a dedicated product through Adam's since it appears they have everything else. 

Right now we don't offer a dedicated Bug and Tar Remover, but never say never...we have one in the testing phases but it's not ready for release just yet.

For easier removal of bugs, we recommend doing a pre-soak with a pretty generous spraying of our Waterless Wash on the bug gut areas. It will help loosen up that nastiness and make for easier removal of the bug guts once you start washing with our Car Shampoo.

Right now we don't offer a dedicated Bug and Tar Remover, but never say never...

For easier removal of bugs, we recommend doing a pre-soak with a pretty generous spraying of our Waterless Wash on the bug gut areas. It will help loosen up that nastiness and make for easier removal of the bug guts once you start washing with our Car Shampoo.

I would hope that your R&D is working on this, as it is a problem for a lot of us that don't live in rural America. I'm sure you will come up with something.  Your method sounds much better then to clay each time I wash.  Thanks! 

The best method for bug removal is not letting them bake onto the paint and keeping your front end sealed. If you load up on bugs and only wash every 2 months then you need to improve your maintenance regimen.

A pre-soak of Waterless wash (or diluted Rinseless is more cost effective), and a pressure washer is all you need if they are really baked on.  They have tested it but nothing came to fruition yet, I'm sure its tough since most are Aerosols and besides In and Out, the VOC laws are killer and so tough for new products.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Thanks all for the replies.  I will use the methods described for now until Adam's releases something.  I wash my vehicles once a week in order to try to prevent bugs from baking on, but it seems that no matter what, they don't want to let go easily. 

What are you protecting the front end of your car with?  Ie what wax or sealant product

I've been using Pro-Tec sealant on everything I own (boat, vehicles etc) since about 2007. It's been great for protecting, but I want to expand further. 

The key for me is wiping any bug blasts and bird bombs off right after I drive since they're still fresh and not hardened onto the surface. There are some pretty nasty acids in there that can do some damage to the clear coat if they're left on there to sit.

During the prime summer bug months, I like to keep 4oz bottles of Detail Spray and Waterless Wash in my glove box in a zip-lock bag with a single soft and waterless wash towel, or if it's a longer drive I will have one of my Adam's Travel bags in the trunk, with all of the products and towels I would need for a quick detail. Sure, people may look at me a little goofy when I'm parked out near the end of the parking lot at Target and wiping down the front of my car, but it takes 2 minutes and I have to keep my rides clean and shiny B) 

The key for me is wiping any bug blasts and bird bombs off right after I drive since they're still fresh and not hardened onto the surface. There are some pretty nasty acids in there that can do some damage to the clear coat if they're left on there to sit.

During the prime summer bug months, I like to keep 4oz bottles of Detail Spray and Waterless Wash in my glove box in a zip-lock bag with a single soft and waterless wash towel, or if it's a longer drive I will have one of my Adam's Travel bags in the trunk, with all of the products and towels I would need for a quick detail. Sure, people may look at me a little goofy when I'm parked out near the end of the parking lot at Target and wiping down the front of my car, but it takes 2 minutes and I have to keep my rides clean and shiny B)

That's a great idea for sure.  I always wash my vehicles after birds target them as well.  Keeping a bag with some products in the vehicle is something I will do from now on. 

Guest washemup

I do some detailing on the side and get several cars that I'm not polishing, they just want a wash/wax/vacuum.

Sometimes these cars have bugs that have been on the paint for months. When they get this stuck on, APC sprayed on, in the shade on cool paint, not allowed to dry, and then rinsed off with a pressure washer or a fireman's nozzle on a hose removes them almost always with no agitation.

Only on a rare occasion they need a 2nd application and a light rub with a bug scrubber. After removal using this method, you'll need to apply whatever protection product your using.

Having a good coat of sealant or wax on the car makes bug cleanup very easy, provided you get them off in a reasonable time. The above mentioned waterless/rinseless wash is all you'll need. If you get them soon enough, often they'll come off with just water pressure.

When using waterless/rinseless wash for bug or bird droppings, use it in the shade on cool paint. I've used Detail Spray on fresh bird droppings and they literally disappear into the spray after applying.

I would hope that your R&D is working on this, as it is a problem for a lot of us that don't live in rural America. I'm sure you will come up with something.  Your method sounds much better then to clay each time I wash.  Thanks! 

If they have been on the vehicle for a while or are there are alot of them try 'soaking' them using towels.  Wet thin MF towels in your Rinseless wash bucket and place them on the 'bug-y' areas.  Leave them for 5-10 minutes, and the bugs should wipe off, and leave any protection behind.  

As the others said, the easiest way to make sure they are easy to remove is to keep protect on the front of the car - H2O G&G is great for adding a quick protection boost.

This is my dad's van, covered in love bugs from a 2 hour trip down to my house.  I did the soaking method I described, and they came off with very little effort.

Toyotavan003_zps6bee0267.jpg

Toyotavan005_zpscc0db2a0.jpg

Edited by mc2hill

Best way especially on dark colors is to wash as soon as possible. I believe most bug and tar removers will degrade the lsp, the most lsp friendly and paint safe way is to soak with a waterless wash and remove with very light pressure. If there are still bugs on the paint repeat.

it really helps if you've got a great LSP sitting on your paint, too.

I did find a bug that needed something more aggressive so I mixed a small batch of APC:WW 1:1. I didn't let it sit too long but it did the trick.