Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which Machine

phcaan

Question

I am considering two machines to maintain, polish and keep my car looking new, well as new as 12 years old can be. 

The machines I am considering , and I can only purchase one of them, are the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Flex XC 3401vrg. 

It appears to me that you can do more with the Flex, but never having used either machine, I really don't know.

Does anyone know if the Flex is safe for my finish? And can it do everything the Porter Cable can?

Thank all of you in advance for you wisdom.

22 answers to this question

I too would recommend the Rupes LHR 15ES, Cyclo, or Porter Cable 7424XP over the Flex for someone new to machine polishing. The Flex is a pretty powerful too, and with the forced rotation as well as random orbital motion, it may not be for everyone. I personally use the Flex just as much as my Rupes 15 and my Cyclo, but I've had a few friends try out the Flex and say it was more difficult for them to control. It does have a little more correcting power in my opinion, but the ease of use of something like the Rupes 15 or Cyclo is much more friendly on my body, while still getting just as great results.

The PC does have a good bit of vibration at higher speeds and will give your fingers and forearms a workout, but it is a workhorse...and the machine polisher that a lot of detailers start out with :)

The Flex is certainly safe and it can do much more than the Porter Cable.  But if you have never used a polisher, the Flex can really work you over.  The Porter Cable is much easier to use, but it just doesn't correct as quickly and it has a lot of vibration.  Have you considered the Rupes 15?  It is probably in between the two in terms of correction ability, but it is very smooth and user friendly.  It's my personal favorite.

I don't know how you are comparing machines with a $200 difference in price point - Either you want to spend $350 or you don't lol

Well I would rather not spend $350, but on the other hand I don't want to spend less on something that I will have to replace because it doesn't do the job. If I can do it for less than the cost of the Flex I am all for that.

Well I would rather not spend $350, but on the other hand I don't want to spend less on something that I will have to replace because it doesn't do the job. If I can do it for less than the cost of the Flex I am all for that.

I've never liked the Porter Cable because of how much it vibrates, but for a long time it was just about the only option.  But there are lots of people here who will tell you that it works just fine, especially if you are just doing your personal cars every now and then.  I've never actually used it for serious correction because I work in a dealership and everyone always used rotaries for the serious correction and then the PC for applying wax or sealant.  But now that I've used a Rupes for correction and applying sealant, I love it.

Thank You everyone, I think I will get a Rupes machine, more expensive than the PC, but from all I have heard, it will do more than the Porter Cable. I was concerned with the Porter Cables ability to apply a sealer, but it seems that the Rupes will handle this job easily.

Problem solved!! 

I too would recommend the Rupes LHR 15ES, Cyclo, or Porter Cable 7424XP over the Flex for someone new to machine polishing. The Flex is a pretty powerful too, and with the forced rotation as well as random orbital motion, it may not be for everyone. I personally use the Flex just as much as my Rupes 15 and my Cyclo, but I've had a few friends try out the Flex and say it was more difficult for them to control. It does have a little more correcting power in my opinion, but the ease of use of something like the Rupes 15 or Cyclo is much more friendly on my body, while still getting just as great results.

The PC does have a good bit of vibration at higher speeds and will give your fingers and forearms a workout, but it is a workhorse...and the machine polisher that a lot of detailers start out with :)

This is perfectly concise answer.  I will add that my PC still is a workhorse after 10+ years, sure I have another machine now, but it was a great start for me to do everything I needed.  If you have the extra $200 in coin to spend, do it - but you wouldn't be disappointed in a PC for a first machine especially with 5.5" pads

Thank You everyone, I think I will get a Rupes machine, more expensive than the PC, but from all I have heard, it will do more than the Porter Cable. I was concerned with the Porter Cables ability to apply a sealer, but it seems that the Rupes will handle this job easily.

Problem solved!!

I think you made a great choice!!

This is perfectly concise answer.  I will add that my PC still is a workhorse after 10+ years, sure I have another machine now, but it was a great start for me to do everything I needed.  If you have the extra $200 in coin to spend, do it - but you wouldn't be disappointed in a PC for a first machine especially with 5.5" pads

Thanks for your input Ricky, I decided from what everyone said that the Rupes however more expensive would do more for me with one machine than the PC, I also took into consideration that the Rupes 15 uses 5.5" pads and I can use the hexlogic pads.

I only have one car, a 5005 Cadillac Deville that I recently purchased, I have wanted one all my life, and now at 70, I got one. I want to keep it as new as I can, and although the paint in in good shape, it needs correction. I am excited to get started.

Thanks again for your time and experience. By the way, I love your avatar, good work with that one.

Problem solved!! 

I will say that owning a PC and doing a large truck my arms CERTAINLY get a work out from the vibrations. It still does a great job and made the job alot easier than by hand. 

The Rupes is said to be a much nicer machine to use, and I am def considering it as an upgrade already so I would say if your thinking about it might as well do it now and save the money. 

I will say that owning a PC and doing a large truck my arms CERTAINLY get a work out from the vibrations. It still does a great job and made the job alot easier than by hand. 

The Rupes is said to be a much nicer machine to use, and I am def considering it as an upgrade already so I would say if your thinking about it might as well do it now and save the money. 

My thought also, when you get to be 70 years old, you will have purchased a bunch of stuff more than once. I am shooting for once only with this purchase

I know less than nothing about the Rupes but with the advice given it looks like you made a wise choice. Congrats on the new ride and the new polisher. Now show us some pictures !!!!!  

:patriot:

Edited by Bill-V8V

I know less than nothing about the Rupes but with the advice given it looks like you made a wise choice. Congrats on the new ride and the new polisher. Now show us some pictures !!!!!  

:patriot:

Well that is gonna be a while, right now it is ice and slush outside. I need to wait till it warms up a bit.

I also took into consideration that the Rupes 15 uses 5.5" pads and I can use the hexlogic pads.

That's fine if you already have them. But if you don't currently own any pads, I have to say that the Adam's gen5 pads are really good. I have several detailers working for me and they all love them.

That's fine if you already have them. But if you don't currently own any pads, I have to say that the Adam's gen5 pads are really good. I have several detailers working for me and they all love them.

No I have not ordered them yet, just ordered the Rupes this afternoon, I will take a look at the Adams gen 5 pads. I don't know anything about any of this, I am just going from the junkman videos I spent all day yesterday watching, that was the only reason I was opting for the hexlogic pads.

Thanks and I am ready to listen to all advice, after all when you are the proud owner of a brand new 12 year old Cadillac, you use only the best.

Well that is gonna be a while, right now it is ice and slush outside. I need to wait till it warms up a bit.

I know that feeling, i was just down in my garage connecting the battery conditioner to my AM :(

I have had, and used, my PC for years but got a Cyclo this Christmas. I haven't had a chance to yeast it out yet due to a shoulder injury, but hope it doesn't vibrate as much as the PC. As soon as it warms up, the Cyclo is getting a workout. Was wondering if I should invest in the tiny Rupes as well, or will the Cyclo get those "odd" areas.

U will love the cyclo. I also just got one for Christmas, coming from the porter cable. The cyclo is a great machine to use and makes polishing fun, has pretty much no vibration and the layout/handle make it extremely comfortable to use. While it can correct a pillars and other tight areas, I recently invested in the rupes mini as well. I like the smaller size of the mini for certain areas bc it is easier to control up and down an a pillar, where the cyclo can be a bit bulky in these spots. U won't be dissapointed with the cyclo, great machine!