Customer Service 866.965.0400

How cold is too cold? The sickness continues . . .

mcgluro

Question

Here in Central Ohio we fared much better this past weekend than did all of our friends up and down the East Coast.  We barely had an inch of snow and I can't even say I had to shovel, more like just scooting the snow off of the driveway.

For the past week our roads have been the typical sloppy, slushy, dirty that most of us deal with all Winter.  My wife's car which we commute in every day was the dirtiest it's ever been in the short month that she's owned it.  The wheels were so black with dirt and salt that you could barely differentiate the wheels from the tires.  I put up with it all last week while our temperatures barely made it out of the single digits but tonight on the way home from work I noticed the temperature was a balmy 44 degrees.

I knew I would lose the last of the daylight fairly quickly but I decided to go ahead and give the car a quick detail.  I envy all those who have weatherproof faucets/hoses inside their garages but I went ahead and dug a hose out of storage and reconnected it to the outside faucet.

I'm sure my neighbors thought I'd finally gone round the bend but I didn't care.  I happily cleaned the wheels and tires first before moving on to wash the rest of the vehicle, thank goodness for my Adam's bucket and grit guard.

I'm sure the temperature dipped into the upper 30s once the sun went down but it felt fairly pleasant outside.  I quickly pulled it back into the garage and hit it with another coat of Gloss & Guard, what an awesome product!  I then used various microfiber cloths to dry the rest of the vehicle before applying the tire shine, cleaning the windows and hitting the interior with the interior detailer.

Here's a few quick pics of the finished results (hard to get a decent shot inside the garage).  Hopefully soon I'll find time to give me Ridgeline some love.

After all this rambling my question is, how cold is too cold for you to indulge your sickness?  I guess my limit would be anything below freezing.

Thanks for reading!

post-13698-0-15644600-1453771156_thumb.png

post-13698-0-46413700-1453771206_thumb.png

Edited by mcgluro

Thanks for all the comments!  There are many people on here that are a lot more brave when it comes to cold weather washing.  If my goal of moving to Southwest Florida ever materializes I'll be able to detail cars full time.

And Chris, YES on the detail spray, especially the free bottle of Pumpkin Spice I received with a recent order.  Just right for this time of year!

Go for it Jimmy!  I'd love to see the results.  My father-in-law is in his 80s and has been a lifelong Ford man including restoring several classic Fords from the 50s and 60s - Mustangs, glasstops, etc.  After owning several new Grand Marquis, he found a 2013 Fusion just like yours with only 13K miles.  I promised him a FULL Adam's treatment in the Spring so I'm anxious to see what yours looks like after some Adam's love.

right now my truck is nice and clean but with the melting that goes on today it will be a salty mess when i head out tonight. Tomorrow i will probably wash it at lunch as it should still be in the 40's. Any lower than that and I drive through the local touchless car wash. I don't like doing it but I hate that layer of salt even more.

Best of both worlds for me - Fill up my 1 gal garden sprayer and pre soak and melt the salt off the whole car with warm (not HOT, as in the cold it will crack glass if too hot) and a heavy mixture of Rinseless Wash, you can use hot water on the wheel wells - Really let it soak and run the salt off the car in the driveway(above 33F obviously) - then pull it in so less mess on the garage floor, and complete your rinseless wash with about 8 towels and a gallon of water with your rinseless concentrate of choice at wash strength - crack the window, and turn on the propane heater with the garage doors closed, and its almost like spring :)

I just did a Durango a few weeks ago and when I had it pulled under their carport it started to flurry when I was waxing. Just takes some extra elbow grease to remove the wax when it's 31 but it does work. I am doing 2 more tomo since we have a carribean heat wave around 38. My body likes warmer weather but my wallet does not care it if sprays its washing time. Im eager to use Rinsless with warm water but all this salt is to much for me to go rinseless.

post-10998-0-89845400-1453897458_thumb.jpg

Go for it Jimmy!  I'd love to see the results.  My father-in-law is in his 80s and has been a lifelong Ford man including restoring several classic Fords from the 50s and 60s - Mustangs, glasstops, etc.  After owning several new Grand Marquis, he found a 2013 Fusion just like yours with only 13K miles.  I promised him a FULL Adam's treatment in the Spring so I'm anxious to see what yours looks like after some Adam's love.

Its my company car, it will get some love soon, but in the meantime since he's a Ford guy, show him some pics of my Mustang dripping wet in Adams Patriot Wax !!

post-10998-0-31281300-1453897921_thumb.jpg

post-10998-0-06512200-1453897932_thumb.jpg

post-10998-0-33011100-1453897934_thumb.jpg

post-10998-0-95468900-1453897935_thumb.jpg

post-10998-0-42469200-1453898053_thumb.jpg

Wow that is one beautiful Mustang!  I'd almost be scared to drive such a rolling work of art fearing all the knuckleheads with their heads looking down at their cellphones instead of paying attention to the road.

I'll absolutely show him, thanks much for sharing! 

Well considering the weather here in Niagara I am able to clean 2 times per week. I head to the carwash and just do a rinse then head home and do a 2 bucket rinseless wash and every fourth time I use G&G  and it looks awesome. I do have spring fever though I want to wax and seal my vehicles.