Customer Service 866.965.0400

Time to Catch Up and Get Ready for the Driving Season

BRZN

After some servicing upkeep, and several winter mods, I needed to take care of the paint around the front clip.

First let me show off or explain what was done.

New Absorbed Gas Mat Deka battery from a buddy that's doing subcontracting electrical work at the Deka facility.

Shifter was tightened back up. Two bolts hold the handle shaft to the shifter, one of the bolts had backed out a little allowing the shaft to move a bit fore and aft.

Sports Appearance Package Side Skirts were reattached to the lower rocker panels.

Brake rotor's hats, veins/fins were painted with POR High Temp flat black paint, calipers were thoroughly cleaned and touched up. Caliper brackets were sand blasted and painted with the POR paint. Russell Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines were installed.

LOL! A little Redneck arts and crafts at the kitchen table with my good buddy Charlie who helped out quite a bit.

IMG_3385resize_zpsyg9zuobq.jpg

Hey, my wife took the picture, so I guess she was okay with this.

IMG_3398resize_zpsc34hhqta.jpg

IMG_3402resize_zpscaidr7he.jpg

IMG_3371resize_zpsfb1w5zsb.jpg

IMG_3388resize_zpsb6forpze.jpg

IMG_3382resize_zpsjgn7lkse.jpg

Better shot of one of the new brake lines

IMG_3397resize_zpsty7e3130.jpg

Of course, while the wheels were off they were polished again!

IMG_3365resize_zpssnhasq3h.jpg

WW wipe down, Metal Polish #2, perfection!

I cleaned and Detail Sprayed the suspension, and entire underside of the car.

IMG_3420resize_zpsmohd6pml.jpg

Nothing better than detailing the pumpkin with Pumpkin Spice Detail Spray, LOL!

IMG_6456resize_zpsf489e1f9.jpg

Next I moved to the Engine. Stock it looked too sanitary, a set of plastic covers over top of the coils and valve covers. You really couldn't see the engine. With the plastic covers off the LS2 has, rough, cast aluminum valve covers with pegs coming out to hold the plastic covers, two bulky, painted black coil brackets, and a pretty lame looking fuel rail. The power steering reservoir is an opaque plastic that turns brown after many heat cycles, the engine bay also sports an air box with so many 90 degree bends before the throttle body I don't know how the motor breaths.

A bit of research on the ole interwebs, a couple dollars, a bit of labor, a few more dollars, a broken bolt, several more dollars, some more labor, and I finally came up with this!

IMG_7359resize_zpskxkgmj49.jpg

IMG_7360resize_zpsdmx5q0zt.jpg

IMG_7367resize3_zpsl8klwrrd.jpg

Once all the mods were completed, a couple of pesky fuel leaks were addressed, and the hood was adjusted to close properly over top of everything, it was time to clean up the marring I'd induced to the paint on the front clip.

The front end was given a thorough wipe down with Adam's Waterless Wash using several of the Plush Blue Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels.

The rest of the car had just some slight dusting and was wiped down with Rinseless Wash mixed up as a Waterless Wash.

Wax was removed with a chemical wax remover.

I clayed the front end with the new Visco Clay; neat stuff, and it worked really well considering this car was already pretty clean.

I taped off a few areas I didn't want to have to deal with later.

Out came the Rupes 15 and Rupes Mini.

First was an Orange Microfiber pad and Paint Correcting Polish followed up with a White Foam Pad and Paint Finishing Polish. The Clear Bra across the front of the car was polished by hand using an old bottle of Adam's Clear Polish.

IMG_3570resize_zpsrmr8q3ba.jpg

A coat of Brilliant Glaze followed up with two coats of Patriot Paste Wax and she's looking good again.

IMG_7355resize_zpsnvuwi0oj.jpg

IMG_7358resize_zpsgja0ner0.jpg

IMG_7357resize_zps8ziv1kxx.jpg

One more decent rain to wash the remaining salt from the road and she'll be back out on the road!

Edited by BRZN

I forgot to mention that I couldn't resist the nice weather yesterday and took mine out last night after I found and fixed my boost leak. It hits 7psi just fine now :D

The new problem is that after sitting for so long, when I cut the wheels backing up in the driveway, power steering fluid started leaking from somewhere near the pump and dripped onto the serpentine belt and ground. As you can imagine, I now had nice red fluid flung all over the engine bay from the spinning belt...fun cleanup at midnight...

Dave, any time you want to stop and detail the undercarriage of a blue GTO, let me know...I'm going to busy enough cleaning up the engine bay now :(

Thanks for all the kind words all.

Dan, I'd originally painted the rotor hats back in 2008 with Duplicolor gloss black caliper paint. I didn't really like the sheen, and it wasn't near as hard as the POR is. The Duplicolor began to chip off badly. This flatter black I have to agree looks much better.

James, The CAI gets its air from where the stock air intake got it's, between the top of the bumper and the leading edge of the hood. However, this new Duspeed CAI also pulls from the kidney grilles. There is a large curved protrusion that channels the air from the grille openings right up and into itself. The hood's scoops are really just to let hot air escape.

Edited by BRZN