Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove glass sealant?

jem556

Question

19 answers to this question

Guys, I think some people are confusing two things.

Removing the residue of the product as part of the applying steps.

vs.

Stripping Glass Sealant off completely.

Which is it you are looking for @jem556?

Well my original question was how to completely remove the product but if there are methods for only removing the banding/streaking and uneven water beading, I would certainly be interested in that as well. I followed the instructions on the bottle carefully but maybe the large windshield of a full size SUV makes it more difficult to get an even finish.

I'm still confused lol

Step 1: Clay bar window with glass cleaner as lubricant

Step 2: Wipe with glass towel

Step 3: Apply glass sealant with microfiber applicator (same way you polish, horizontal all the way than vertical all the way)

STEP 4: Remove the excess with a mist of glass cleaner (you shouldn't see any product whatesoever on the window after this step)

Adam's have a video on this somewhere

I'm still confused lol

Step 1: Clay bar window with glass cleaner as lubricant

Step 2: Wipe with glass towel

Step 3: Apply glass sealant with microfiber applicator (same way you polish, horizontal all the way than vertical all the way)

STEP 4: Remove the excess with a mist of glass cleaner (you shouldn't see any product whatesoever on the window after this step)

Adam's have a video on this somewhere

Maybe therein lies the problem...I interpreted the instructions to apply in one direction, wait then apply 2nd coat in other direction as meaning first right to left and then left to right. I applied both coats horizontally...just in opposite directions????.

I don't think it should matter that much but maybe the fact that the first coat cures before you put the 2nd one has something to do with it? I would think that as long as you do the 4th step you should be fine.

I put a few drops on the applicator (5-6 or so I guess) I let gravity do the work I don't press on the bottle, then I go back and forth then up and down on one half of the window.

Then I do the same on the 2nd half including adding more product. Let sit 10min or so then glass cleaner with the glass towel to remove the residue

Why are you applying 2 coats of it. It has denatured alcohol in it and a 2nd application is removing the first.

Apply the sealant in both directions on half the windshield before removing.

If you want to strip it completely use an IPA wipe.

I also have had great success with letting it sit on the windshield for a long time and then cleaning it off with the glass cleaner. It seems to me the longer it sits on the windshield the longer protection I get. I left it on my sons Volvo truck windshield for 32 hours while we cleaned the truck and it cleaned up very nice and gave him some nice beading action and blew off well on his first trip.