Customer Service 866.965.0400

New here - which products?

surfer369

Question

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to car washing and detailing.

As someone new to this, which products do you guys think I should start with.

Also for some reason the code is not working when I tried to check out?

Thanks for the recommendations, but not looking to spend so much to start with, just need some basics before I get the hang of it.

Can I use just the shampoo and detail spray?

Also, I will not have a lot of time, so need some quick washing tips, can I use soak with car with a hoze and then use a spray foam gun and then rinse the foam and dry with microfiber cloth? and then would I apply the detail spray? and can the detail spray be used on the interior seats and dash?

The code is working, I had a space between it, which is why its wasn't working.

You will scratch the heck out of your paint with that technique.

Most of us spend a great deal of time and a good amount of money to get our cars as close to perfection as possible (or desired).

If your trying to move faster while washing I would say go Rinsless. Get at least 12 of the gray border less towels to go with. You can pressure wash the main dirt off then use the diluted rinseless and a good pre soak. Rinseless is a super easy way to add some shine to the ride. I personally use h20 g&g while doing rinseless 1 time a month to maintain my paint sealant. Grab some wash pads and soap because sometimes you have to go traditional. I have adams buckets myself but you could save a few bucks and make your own from various outlets. It takes a fair amount to get started correctly so not sure what your budget is but I'll list products I think are staples.

Adams soap, wash pad, bucket and grit guard x2, the great white drying towel, 12 grey border less towles or any of adams high quality microfibers, rinseless wash concentrate, interior cleaner, leather conditioner even if u don't have leather trust me do yourself a favor it smells amazing after the car bakes in the sun, a few good quality gray interior microfibers I can't recall the name but its in the interior kits, glass cleaner. Get some americana wax for a wonderful experience if wax is your thing, if not try the paint sealant which will last longer than wax but to me does not have the depth that wax offers.mi personally use sealant and wax for this reason. Have fun reading the forums there is a endless amount of info here and some great individuals to help you watch the adams videos on you tube !

Some great advice above, the only thing I would add is that I personally think that the winter wash kit is a better value. 

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/washing-cleaning/adam-s-winter-washing-detail-kit.html

if you want to add the clay just add it to the cart after 

The big differences are only one wash pad instead of two, and no clay. 

with the winter kit you get the tire shine and the wheel cleaner and also a single soft towel. 

Ok, I think I am too new to this and have no clue about some of the things and techniques. I know most of you spend a lot of time to get it perfect, but my goal is to just get it clean.

I am fascinated by foam lance and want to incorporate that in the process. So far I am thinking of buying a electric pressure washer (need suggestions) having looked at youtube videos looks like to get foam you need electric pressure washers, the regular garden hoze wont do it.

1. electric pressure washer

2. foam lance( whats the difference between the lance and the foam gun/cannon)

3. car shampoo (rinseless)

4. tire cleaner

5. drying towel

6.interior cleaner/leather conditioner (are these two different products)

Lastly, I know this is Adam's forum, but can I save some money by buying microfiber cloth etc from another store (Costco).

A foam lance/cannon is pressure washer powered vs and foam gun which is garden hose powered. The cannon will give you a thicker foam that stays on the car better but you also need to hook up the pressure washer every time you use it instead of just attaching the foam gun to the hose you already have out. So there is added work and time already.

Costco and other big store brand microfibers are not made to same standard as Adams/detailing industry towels and will most likely case more harm than good on paint. I do use them for dirty work and interior cleaning though.

You cant go wrong with Adams shampoo, rinseless if you go that direction, detail spray, total interior detailer, the new tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, or any of their stuff for that matter.

A foam lance/cannon is pressure washer powered vs and foam gun which is garden hose powered. The cannon will give you a thicker foam that stays on the car better but you also need to hook up the pressure washer every time you use it instead of just attaching the foam gun to the hose you already have out. So there is added work and time already.

Costco and other big store brand microfibers are not made to same standard as Adams/detailing industry towels and will most likely case more harm than good on paint. I do use them for dirty work and interior cleaning though.

You cant go wrong with Adams shampoo, rinseless if you go that direction, detail spray, total interior detailer, the new tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, or any of their stuff for that matter.

So, do most of you guys use the lance/canon or the foam gun?

I think the foam lance would produce more foam because of the pressure washer vs. the garden hose powered right.

Ok, I think I am too new to this and have no clue about some of the things and techniques. I know most of you spend a lot of time to get it perfect, but my goal is to just get it clean.

I am fascinated by foam lance and want to incorporate that in the process. So far I am thinking of buying a electric pressure washer (need suggestions) having looked at youtube videos looks like to get foam you need electric pressure washers, the regular garden hoze wont do it.

1. electric pressure washer

2. foam lance( whats the difference between the lance and the foam gun/cannon)

3. car shampoo (rinseless)

4. tire cleaner

5. drying towel

6.interior cleaner/leather conditioner (are these two different products)

Lastly, I know this is Adam's forum, but can I save some money by buying microfiber cloth etc from another store (Costco).

If you are unsure of things adams has amazing videos to explain each step and also if you contact adams customer service they are more than happy to help you with any and all questions. Dan is a great wealth of information just ask for him if you like but all the guys and gals have a great understanding of the process. Do not buy cheap towels for paint related work for dirty interiors they work ok but that's it. I wouldn't use a Costco rag on my door jambs even but I also spent countless hours getting my paint to look like molten glass

if you don't want to spend a lot of money as mentioned above, I wouldn't invest in a pressure washer/foam cannon.  I would invest $150 in the winter kit, add a bucket and grit guard and if you want to splurge, get the foam gun and this will get you going.  Oh, and you will probably want to add a great white drying towel.

So, do most of you guys use the lance/canon or the foam gun?

I think the foam lance would produce more foam because of the pressure washer vs. the garden hose powered right.

I personally only use the Adam's foam gun. It does the job I'm looking for and is fast and easy.  Plus, it is a bit of a hassle getting out the pressure washer (I have a gas one, I guess an electric would be a bit easier to cart around and store in the garage).

I personally only use the Adam's foam gun. It does the job I'm looking for and is fast and easy. Plus, it is a bit of a hassle getting out the pressure washer (I have a gas one, I guess an electric would be a bit easier to cart around and store in the garage).

I like having an electric pressure washer, but I agree with the hassle part. I bought a foam lance and only used it once because I didn't like switching back and forth between hose and pressure washer.

I was so sure of getting a pressure washer and foam canon, but now I am rethinking about the hassle you guys are talking about. The foam gun sounds like will be much easier to use, only thing is, it will use more soap and also not foam as much.

One of the commnets above I wasn't sure of was about the interior cleaner and leather conditioner, do I need to get both or one of them will do? and can I use it on anything in the interiors?

You can certainly get by with just Total Interior Detailer. Leather cleaner will work on plastic dashboards and door panels along with leather conditioner but it's not necessary. For carpet or cloth seats, you would need the carpet and upholstery cleaner.

Thanks, I now need some recommendation on electric power washers. for the foam canon , I am looking into the MTM hydro, but apparently there are two models and don't know which to get. Also can I attach this to the PW quickly? or is it very time consuming. Just want to make sure I order the right products. 

I have a Sun Joe SPX3000 it is a nice electric washer that has a really good GPM rating which I feel is as important as the pressure rating. Defiantly a nice thing to have but i only use it to wash the vehicles when they are super dirty with road grime on them like after a snow storm or being in mud. I do not have a foam cannon. I do have a foam gun which I don't always use either it adds a step that slows down the washing process so if I am in a hurry the old 2 bucket wash will always be the most effective and done correctly safe for your paint.  No matter what you start with you will end up owning all the products they all work great and make car cleaning easy.

Good threads in here on the foam cannon.

You will find that spending a bit more now for a kit will save you a bunch in the long run!

The big question is what kind of result are you looking for? Quick easy wash and not worried about swirls? A nice shine? Or a flawless finish?

Those answers will determine what you get.

Let me get this straight:  You want to detail your car on the cheap and don't want to spring for quality micro-fiber towels but you do want to get a pressure washer and foam cannon?

Seems a little crazy to me - but do what makes you happy.

If you're asking for advise I recommend you spend the pressure washer money on an Adam's kit and some quality micro-fibers - learn how to do a two-bucket wash. You can add the pressure washer later if you want to stick with it.