Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is machine waxing a thing?

Micah

Question

I have a few small scuffs on my personal vehicle that I'd like to remove. However, to justify purchasing a polisher and all the goodies I need more reason. I know it can be used to apply liquid sealant but what about buttery wax?  If so, is there a specific pad for wax?

Also, do you always remove polish, sealant, wax by hand with MF towel? It seems like removing by machine would be ideal.

Edited by Micah

20 answers to this question

Yes I always remove by hand for all - I don't like those stupid microfiber bonnets for people who can't remove residues by hand

Buttery Wax is literally like a butter liquid - you dont need to apply by machine at all - it should be done by hand

The Red and the Black pads are good for the sealants and glazes, waxes, etc - I always apply my LSP by hand though

Just get the Porter Cable kit for your needs if its just on your personal vehicle - not terribly too much investment compared to the Rupes, Cyclo, etc machines and will be perfect for scratch/scuff/swirl removal -

I've had my Porter Cable for 11+ years now and it still works like a champ

LPS and paint correction is all you need it for (as mentioned above).

I am still struggling applying LPS and pretty sure I am using too much.

So I am still not sold on using a machine for sealant. Not saying its not right but I am still learning how to do it.

^^^Use less - you can probably use about 1/4 - 1/3 oz to do your whole Tblazer with Paint Sealant

Heres a tip - use a Hex Grip applicator like the Pro Tire App (if you like to color code things) or the red hex grip would work great - it keeps the product from absorbing as much into the pad so you can apply it easier.  I used to use the MF applicators but they tend to lay it down a bit thick for me.

I know your are ONLY supposed to add sealant to the pad when you cant see it going down any more. But I have a hard time seeing it even when I start. So that is my issue.

I am doing it with a well lit (fluorescent) garage but need to try adding a tripod halogen or something.

I have no doubt I used 2 ounces on two vehicles. The other was about same size as Trailblazer.

Its inexperience on my part. I will get there .

Yes I always remove by hand for all - I don't like those stupid microfiber bonnets for people who can't remove residues by hand

Buttery Wax is literally like a butter liquid - you dont need to apply by machine at all - it should be done by hand

The Red and the Black pads are good for the sealants and glazes, waxes, etc - I always apply my LSP by hand though

Just get the Porter Cable kit for your needs if its just on your personal vehicle - not terribly too much investment compared to the Rupes, Cyclo, etc machines and will be perfect for scratch/scuff/swirl removal -

I've had my Porter Cable for 11+ years now and it still works like a champ

I use those bonnets.

Absolutely you can apply PS & Buttery by machine & Gray pad.

I prefer using a machine to apply PS it's so much easier to lay down a thin even coat.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-new-6-gray-foam-waxing-glazing-pad.html

Do you mean I can use the tire hex grip applicator(black) to apply the Liquid Paint Sealant on my car?

Do you mean I can use the tire hex grip applicator(black) to apply the Liquid Paint Sealant on my car?

No, by hand use the microfiber applicators.

These http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-microfiber-applicator-pads-2-pack.html

If applying with a machine use the type of pad in the link Chris posted.

Edited by blcksilv08

I do 80% of my detailing by hand. Check out Revive Polish for helping with those scuffs. Butter Wax is very nice and easy, but you won't get the lasting power that you will with Americana.  You need to try the NEW Americana wax. It goes on super easy, off super easy, and lasts.  Great protection.  

I know your are ONLY supposed to add sealant to the pad when you cant see it going down any more. But I have a hard time seeing it even when I start. So that is my issue.

If you are having problems seeing it just press your pad on a window. You will be able to tell if you have any left then. I do this when I think I am running low. Normally I still have plenty left.

Absolutely. I keep a hex grip applicator dedicated to paint sealant application. Much easier to lay a thin coat down with the hex grip than the mf applicator.

LPS and paint correction is all you need it for (as mentioned above).

I am still struggling applying LPS and pretty sure I am using too much.

So I am still not sold on using a machine for sealant. Not saying its not right but I am still learning how to do it.

While using a machine, if you can see the sealant going on you're using too much. A few small drops per panel is all you need.

I have a few small scuffs on my personal vehicle that I'd like to remove. However, to justify purchasing a polisher and all the goodies I need more reason. I know it can be used to apply liquid sealant but what about buttery wax?  If so, is there a specific pad for wax?

Also, do you always remove polish, sealant, wax by hand with MF towel? It seems like removing by machine would be ideal.

I have tried buttery and Americana with machine, it doesn't apply well due to the viscosity change caused by heat. Sealant viscosity doesn't change much due to the heat, making it ideal for machine application.

I always remove by hand. Single-softs are my favorite for removal.