Customer Service 866.965.0400

Suggestions for a Good Procedure?

rseto

Question

Hello, I am new to detailing and wanted to start taking care of my car since it is new. I definitely want to maintain it for a long time but wanted some help. I recently bought an array of products from Adams but wanted your guys’ advice on what may be the best procedure in terms of taking care of my car, like what comes first and after, waiting times between steps (if any), and how often I should be doing some things. I am completely clueless about this stuff.

List of Items Bought

1. Car Wash Trio with Car Wash Wedge

- Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

- Red Car Wash Wedge

- Car Wash Shampoo

2. Liquid Paint Sealant Kit

- 2 Microfiber Applicator Pads

- Liquid Paint Sealant

- Double Soft Microfiber Towel

3. H2O Guard & Gloss Kit

- H2O Guard & Gloss

- 2 Borderless Gray Towel

4. Leather & Interior Care Kit

- Leather & Interior Cleaner

- Leather Conditioner

- Edgeless Utility Towel

- 2 Interior Dressing Applicators

5. Glass Cleaner

6. Glass Sealant

7. Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing

8. Detail Spray

9. Tire & Rubber Cleaner

10. Wheel Cleaner

----------------------------------  

That is all the items I got from Adam's. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me with what I should do first all the way to last, with as much detail as possible since again, I am clueless and really do not want to screw up or damage the car (somehow). I am applying everything by hand, no machine. And if there are any products that you guys would recommend that would greatly complement what I already have, please let me know. Thank you all very much, I cannot wait to try using my new products.

P.S. If it helps, this is my daily driver and only car. I also live in Arizona, so pretty dry here and hot.

15 answers to this question

I would suggest buying a couple buckets with grit guards as I did not see them in your list of items bought. As far as procedures do a search on here and you'll find a ton of procedures. Their is also a PDF file of a procedure from start to finish. It is older but it is still the same concept. I will try and find it and post it here

I know that I have one bucket at home with a grit guard. The bucket itself is a bit old, but still in good condition. Would I require multiple buckets and if so, why?

Thank you though, I will try to search more for them as well. I have tried to do some quick searches prior to posting but wanting instructions with a lot of detail in it not just the general steps, but I will definitely take more time to search through the forums, but if you could find the PDF that would be amazing. Thank you.

Given that are just starting out, I highly suggest you watch this video series to steer you in the right direction

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ju56j0wCCWAQO8iA9iq2gnyEflZuWJr

It will explain everything you need to know about proper washing, drying, wheel cleaning and all.

I would also had another bucket to your list as the 2 bucket wash method is the bare bones of safe washing, as explained on the video.

I know that I have one bucket at home with a grit guard. The bucket itself is a bit old, but still in good condition. Would I require multiple buckets and if so, why?

Using multiple buckets to wash the car reduces the contamination of the wash solution and the wash media (Wash Wedge), and reduces the possibility of adding swirls marks from washing.  

If you have one Grit Guard, get yourself a 2nd bucket.  Put the Grit Guard in the 'rinse' bucket and fill with enough water to cover the Grit Guard a few inches.  Prep the 'wash' bucket (I use 1 oz. of Adam's Car Wash Shampoo to 2 gallons of water).  Load up the WW in the Wash bucket and wash a section from the top down - maybe half the hood, then scrub the WW on the Grit Guard in the Rinse bucket, reload with soap from the Wash bucket and clean the next area.

The great thing about Adam's Car Wash Shampoo is you leave it on the paint until the whole car is washed, then rinse it off.

Also, here are a couple of threads that mention a 'pool rinse'.  Adding more water during the rinse phase actually leaves the car drier!

Civic detail - kind of a tutorial

Anyway to not have the shampoo dry....

Its always good to state the vehicles use. Daily driver, stored outside and climate.

That often dictates what you do.

For a daily driver I would put a coat of wax on top the sealant. Just another layer of protection from wash damage and general wear and tear.

Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely watch the videos and let you know if I have any further questions. I am still waiting on my shipment to come so I will have some time to watch and prepare, but my car is getting dirty haha, I cannot wait to wash it once the products come.

So I watched the videos relevant to what I would like to do and the products I own, and I just wanted to confirm with you guys that everything was right.

So, I do need to buy another bucket with grit guard so I can do the 2 bucket wash. After I get that and I decide to wash my car and detail it, do these steps sound about right?

1. Use Tire & Rubber Cleaner on my tires

2. Use Wheel Cleaner on the wheels

3. Wash Car using Car Wash Shampoo

4. Dry the Vehicle using the Great White Towel (no detail spray since this is first wash)

5. Clay Bar with Detail Spray

6. Apply Liquid Paint Sealant

7. Apply Super VRT to Tires and Trim

8. Clean all glass using the Glass Cleaner

9. Apply Glass Sealant to Cleaned Glass

10. Apply H2O Guard & Gloss (Should I do this now or on the next wash?)

11. Clean interior using Leather & Interior Cleaner (I have faux leather, is that okay to clean using this?)

12. Apply Leather Conditioner (is this also okay to use with faux leather?)

Am I missing any steps? Should I apply anything extra? What purpose does detail spray have besides functioning as lube for the clay bar since that is its only use in my current procedure. Thank you all.

If it were me:

4. Use Detail Spray when drying.

6. I use 3:1 IPA before LPS.

9. Sealant outside only.

10. H2OG&G after every 3 or 4 washes is fine. 

11 & 12: Products are fine with ALL leather as long as they are not "suede".

Hello, I am new to detailing and wanted to start taking care of my car since it is new. I definitely want to maintain it for a long time but wanted some help. I recently bought an array of products from Adams but wanted your guys’ advice on what may be the best procedure in terms of taking care of my car, like what comes first and after, waiting times between steps (if any), and how often I should be doing some things. I am completely clueless about this stuff.

List of Items Bought
1. Car Wash Trio with Car Wash Wedge
          - Great White Microfiber Drying Towel
          - Red Car Wash Wedge
          - Car Wash Shampoo

2. Liquid Paint Sealant Kit
          - 2 Microfiber Applicator Pads
          - Liquid Paint Sealant
          - Double Soft Microfiber Towel

3. H2O Guard & Gloss Kit
          - H2O Guard & Gloss
          - 2 Borderless Gray Towel

4. Leather & Interior Care Kit
          - Leather & Interior Cleaner
          - Leather Conditioner
          - Edgeless Utility Towel
          - 2 Interior Dressing Applicators

5. Glass Cleaner

6. Glass Sealant

7. Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing

8. Detail Spray

9. Tire & Rubber Cleaner

10. Wheel Cleaner
----------------------------------  

That is all the items I got from Adam's. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me with what I should do first all the way to last, with as much detail as possible since again, I am clueless and really do not want to screw up or damage the car (somehow). I am applying everything by hand, no machine. And if there are any products that you guys would recommend that would greatly complement what I already have, please let me know. Thank you all very much, I cannot wait to try using my new products.

P.S. If it helps, this is my daily driver and only car. I also live in Arizona, so pretty dry here and hot.

With what you have this is what I would do. 

Exterior:

1. Wash and clean the wheels and tires

2. Wash

3. Baggie to determine if you need to clay.  Clay paint and glass

4. Seal paint (Liquid Paint Sealant) and glass (Glass Sealant)

5. Dress trim and tires

6. Maintenance - Guard & Gloss, Detail Spray

Interior:

1. Vacuum

2. Wipedown the leather surface and protect with leather conditioner

3. Interior detailer would come in handy for the other materials in the interior

3. Wash Car using Car Wash Shampoo

Am I missing any steps? Should I apply anything extra? What purpose does detail spray have besides functioning as lube for the clay bar since that is its only use in my current procedure. Thank you all.

If you're doing a strip wash for clay barring and sealant purposes, you should add in 3-4 oz of APC so you can strip off all the old wax and sealants to start fresh.

I am curious, why use alcohol before sealant? I have heard that it gets rid of the rest of the contaminants I may have missed, but is there no damage to the paint? Do I clean it again after alcohol or leave it on the car to evaporate, and is there risk of spots due to alcohol?

Also, what do you mean use detail spray while drying? Like spray detail spray on the wet car, little by little and wipe as I go after each spray?

And I do not think I can clay it wet because the water will dry before I could clay everything which will cause water spots.

I do alcohol wipe to clean the surface and help LPS to adhere. (Lubricants from doing clay bar, detail spray from drying...) 

Yes, spray a bit of detail spray on wet panel and then dry with GWDT. (I typically prime the towel a bit with a mist of Detail Spray.) The Detail Spray acts as a bit of a lubricant and adds a bit of shine. 

I see maybe all of our well intentioned posts perhaps not being the best approach...Adams videos are really good and produced by some really smart folks. Concentrate on them, and maybe ask for a well defined clarification only as needed.

Keep it simple at first, like a well executed 2-bucket wash (or a Garry Dean Method) and a Detail Spray/towel dry (or blower if you have one.) When comfortable, add H2OG&G. Later on add a strip wash and LPS imto the mix. And definitely consider replacing some of the 2-bucket washes with waterless or rinseless.