Customer Service 866.965.0400

Use new Strip Wash before claying?

DCRANER

Question

17 answers to this question

If you are going to use the new strip wash that's the way to do it. Strip wash then clay. If you're going to drive that Silverado everyday or if it lives outside, I would suggest liquid paint sealant instead of the wax. You can always top with wax for added shine but the sealant is much more durable.

If you are going to use the new strip wash that's the way to do it. Strip wash then clay. If you're going to drive that Silverado everyday or if it lives outside, I would suggest liquid paint sealant instead of the wax. You can always top with wax for added shine but the sealant is much more durable.

Thanks. I should have been more specific, plan is to: Strip, clay, polish, LPS, then H20 Guard & Gloss. Jersey winter can be bad.

I asked about the new Strip Wash wondering if that was better than the old method I use which is Dawn.

Thanks. Doug

I have a new Silverado pickup, getting ready to clean, clay, polish, wax.

So, do I need to wash with new Strip Wash and then clay?

Thanks,

Doug

No you do not need the strip wash prior to claying.  The polish will remove whatever is on the paint. 

No you do not need the strip wash prior to claying.  The polish will remove whatever is on the paint.

The strip wash removes everything prior to polishing, who wants to go through extra pads for no reason? I like strip washes personally, I would not use dawn it's make for dishes not paint if time is a worry you can add a few ounces of apc to the shampoo. This is what we have been doing prior to the new strip wash

The strip wash removes everything prior to polishing, who wants to go through extra pads for no reason? I like strip washes personally, I would not use dawn it's make for dishes not paint if time is a worry you can add a few ounces of apc to the shampoo. This is what we have been doing prior to the new strip wash

We will agree to disagree.  But mechanical decontamination will always remove more over a strip wash.  More pads will not be used. 

Now an iron remover is a different thing.  I would do that over a strip wash.

Edited by The Guz

While this product is called Strip Wash, it is not just for removing sealants and waxes.  It is also for cleaning off all the crud that a normal, pH balanced shampoo will not.  Bugs, road grime, diesel soot....all the stuff you want to get cleaned off, without a lot of scrubbing, before you machine polish.  This reduces the changes of picking up crud in your pad and then damaging the paint.

We will agree to disagree.  But mechanical decontamination will always remove more over a strip wash.  More pads will not be used. 

removing old wax and sealant as well as other contaminants is very important prior to polishing. Why clog the pads up with wax etc. when you can do it prior to polishing, which will probably give you better results. And according to your logic why even clay if polishing removes everything?

removing old wax and sealant as well as other contaminants is very important prior to polishing. Why clog the pads up with wax etc. when you can do it prior to polishing, which will probably give you better results. And according to your logic why even clay if polishing removes everything?

Oh I didn't say not to clay.  That is you misinterpretation.  Clay is indeed an important.  For those that think claying is not needed that is utterly is ridiculous. 

A majority of the contaminants will be removed through and iron remover and claying or a clay alternative (nanoskin, etc.). 

Modern day sealants are pretty durable.  There are plenty of topics covered on various detailing forums about whether or not a strip soap actually strips a sealant.  Most of the times they do not work.  Does Adams work?  Maybe or maybe not.  It is just a product that I won't be buying as I don't buy into the strip wash.   

I understand logic completely as my background is in engineering so no need to question that. 

Oh I didn't say not to clay.  That is you misinterpretation.  Clay is indeed an important.  For those that think claying is not needed that is utterly is ridiculous. 

A majority of the contaminants will be removed through and iron remover and claying or a clay alternative (nanoskin, etc.). 

Modern day sealants are pretty durable.  There are plenty of topics covered on various detailing forums about whether or not a strip soap actually strips a sealant.  Most of the times they do not work.  Does Adams work?  Maybe or maybe not.  It is just a product that I won't be buying as I don't buy into the strip wash.   

I understand logic completely as my background is in engineering so no need to question that. 

Easy now.....things such as this are frowned upon around here......if you want to compare products go to a different forum and do it....which is what I've been told....

Easy now.....things such as this are frowned upon around here......if you want to compare products go to a different forum and do it....which is what I've been told....

Obviously because this forum is paid for by Adam's Polishes.

From the forum User Registration Agreement:

"Light discussion and comparison of outside products is perfectly acceptable so long as it remains respectful, but direct links, marketing, excessive discussion, and endorsement of any product not endorsed or sold by Adam's Premium Car Care is prohibited. There are a number of detailing discussion boards and enthusiast forums on the web where these products can be discussed at length. Here at AdamsForums.com please try to keep the discussion related to the use and support of Adam's products."

While I can agree mechanical vs chemical can be more precise I still think the strip wash is beneficial. I argue the more things that the pad is removing the more the pores have the chance to clog in my personal opinion. We all have our own beliefs and ways, the best thing about detailing is there are tons of different options.

I've been here long enough that I know what lines can be crossed.  As long as it's within the forum rules it is fine.  But if you are looking for information regarding other products other than Adams then this is not the place for that.  This is an Adams forums for Adams products. 

We all must respect that.  Me not believing in a product has nothing to do with violating the rules.  As you can see I didn't post any links or said another products name.   

While this product is called Strip Wash, it is not just for removing sealants and waxes. It is also for cleaning off all the crud that a normal, pH balanced shampoo will not. Bugs, road grime, diesel soot....all the stuff you want to get cleaned off, without a lot of scrubbing, before you machine polish. This reduces the changes of picking up crud in your pad and then damaging the paint.

So is this a Iron and tar remover? My process before was car shampoo with apc to strip waxes and sealants then Iron remover then tar remover. I then proceed to claying the vehicle. If this can be a strip wash and a Iron/tar remover this would be a game changer for me as it would save me a couple of steps.

So is this a Iron and tar remover? My process before was car shampoo with apc to strip waxes and sealants then Iron remover then tar remover. I then proceed to claying the vehicle. If this can be a strip wash and a Iron/tar remover this would be a game changer for me as it would save me a couple of steps.

It is not for iron decontamination.  Use Wheel Cleaner for that.

While Strip Wash is not a dedicated B&T remover, it can help clean some of that off, but major road tar will still likely require the strength of a dedicated B&T remover.

Well, I started this topic and did order the Strip Wash last night. Will give it a try as all other Adams products have worked quite well.

New Silverado does not have scratches but tons of swirls, looks like just lots of grunge built up. So instead of Dawn I'll try the Strip Wash.

Plan: Strip Wash, Clay, Correcting polish (may not need Finishing polish), LPS, then after some cure time, H2O Guard & Gloss. LPS and H2O the chrome wheels also.

Truck will be outside, not used daily, although I do have a truck cover for it. Looking for protection more than a show finish.

Thanks to all.

Doug