Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I remove Duct Tape residue from mirror frame on side mirror?

Sunshine

Question

Dear Adam's Forum-

Let me preface this question with : I am not a car girl, per-se...I do enjoy a beautiful car: the mechanics, the design...  I am new to Adam's Products and I just recently began maintaining my own car (with guidance and a manual of course) for minor issues.  

I recently had my side view mirror smashed and cap broken off in a parking lot.  While I was waiting for the new replacement mirror and cap to arrive so I can fix the mirror, my Ex thought he was helping by taping up the old mirror with duct tape to the mirror frame. Needless to say - after I removed the duct tape that baked in the sun for 2 weeks- I have old duct tape residue and glue stuck to my mirror frame.

How do I remove the left over glue with remnants of the duct tape from the frame of my side view mirror?

I do not want to have to purchase an entire new black frame since I was able to replace the glass and the mirror cap myself.

I have tried the car shampoo and really wetting the duct tape adhesion but it is not powerful enough to lift the sticky stuff.  I have not tried other products or chemicals because I am not sure what they will do to the plastic frame. I figured I would put it out there to the "experts" at Adam's and on the Adam's Forum to help assist and guide me.

Thank you all!
:)  

14 answers to this question

First, welcome to the forum, you'll get lots of great help here and you'll quickly be able to maintain your cars by yourself!

As for the tape adhesion, I would recommend spraying it with all purpose cleaner and letting it dwell for a bit, or trying goo gone. Be sure to use both of those appropriately (not letting them dry on the plastic or anywhere where it might over spray/run off on, etc), A steamer would also be a great option, if you have access to one.

As all said goo-done is good ,also wd-40 is great as it doesn't dry out quickly it can be applied left for a few hours to penetrate the duct tape residue then rub the mess off with a cheap microfiber and some more wd-40. I use a product called presolv it's made by LPS and it's absolutely the best product ever for that but it's harder to get and isn't as inexpensive. I remove tons of vinyl wraps and stickers off cars and buy this stuff by the gallons

post-14481-0-15710200-1473302346_thumb.png

Here's something crazy.  Peanut butter.  My wife uses it to take sticky stuff off of everything. 

This is true!!  I have used peanut butter to get gum out of hair my daughters hair and to get silly putty out of the dog's hair too!!!

Thank you!

As all said goo-done is good ,also wd-40 is great as it doesn't dry out quickly it can be applied left for a few hours to penetrate the duct tape residue then rub the mess off with a cheap microfiber and some more wd-40. I use a product called presolv it's made by LPS and it's absolutely the best product ever for that but it's harder to get and isn't as inexpensive. I remove tons of vinyl wraps and stickers off cars and buy this stuff by the gallons

interesting...is it safe to use on doors?  I have stickers to remove from the back of my kids doors...

interesting...is it safe to use on doors?  I have stickers to remove from the back of my kids doors...

it is citrus based and I have used it on paint and plastic with great results