Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clayed windshield... what next?

Laid GP

Question

My 2011 Sierra Denali has a ton of little "speckles" all over the outside of the windshield. It's really annoying in the mornings when I am driving in to the sun. I have clayed the windshield and thoroughly cleaned it, but they are still there. I *think* it may be tree sap as I do occasionally have to park close to trees at work. What's the next best step? I was thinking very fine steel wool as I've used that on another vehicle in the past that had paint overspray all over the windshield.

16 answers to this question

My 2011 Sierra Denali has a ton of little "speckles" all over the outside of the windshield. It's really annoying in the mornings when I am driving in to the sun. I have clayed the windshield and thoroughly cleaned it, but they are still there. I *think* it may be tree sap as I do occasionally have to park close to trees at work. What's the next best step? I was thinking very fine steel wool as I've used that on another vehicle in the past that had paint overspray all over the windshield.

When I had something similar to this I used dawn dish soap on a microfiber utility towel got the glass good and soapy then wiped it dry. Then used the glass cleaner after, wiped it dry then did the clay bar and it was good as new. If that doesn't work try goo gone, let it sit on your spots for a minute or two before wiping. Hope that helps.

Update: looks like it isn't sap so much as a million tiny rock pecks :( I think the previous owner must have driven behind a gravel truck or something because the front bumper is the same.

Dang.. time for an insurance claim.

Update: looks like it isn't sap so much as a million tiny rock pecks :( I think the previous owner must have driven behind a gravel truck or something because the front bumper is the same.

I was going to suggest that. That's pretty common with a lot of vehicles in the morning sun. You notice that a lot more than at other times. I have actually replaced windshields because of it but they get that way again usually.

Edited by rrmccabe

Everyone else beat me to it, but I was going to ask how many miles were on the car and suggest that it was probably pitting.  Odd that a 5 year old car would show that much but anythings possible.  And yes, the only solution is a new piece of glass.

It has 140,000 miles on it. It is definitely rock pecks, I can feel it with my fingernail. Oh well, I will just live with it.

Do you have an OEM windshield or has it been replaced.  We had ours replaced about 3 months ago and this windshield is garbage compared to OEM.  Our windshield was a generic from Safelite.

It somehow seems very soft and is covered with rock pecks and scratches.  Some scratches are about 4 inches long and nothing harsh has ever touched the windshield that could do something like that to my knowledge.  

Do you have an OEM windshield or has it been replaced.  We had ours replaced about 3 months ago and this windshield is garbage compared to OEM.  Our windshield was a generic from Safelite.

It somehow seems very soft and is covered with rock pecks and scratches.  Some scratches are about 4 inches long and nothing harsh has ever touched the windshield that could do something like that to my knowledge.  

I'm not sure if it is the original or not. I am the second owner of the truck so who knows.

I'm not sure if it is the original or not. I am the second owner of the truck so who knows.

if youre interested in finguring out if it is or not, look for the logo on the windshield itself.  uxsually somewhere along the bottom edge of the glass.  should be visible and an OEM for your truck will likely say GM.