Customer Service 866.965.0400

DIY Detailing Cart Bottle Holder Tray

avimore

Question

I recently purchased a detailing cart and wanted to find a solution to keep my bottles secure and prevent them from moving or tipping over.  I thought I would give it a shot and build something myself seeing as I had a specific design in mind.  Here are some details of the project...

Started with a heavy duty steel 3-tier cart and added the Adam's 'A' to class it up:

29332390313_72e260c2e6_c.jpgIMG_20160916_1 by avimore, on Flickr

Added some shelf-liner to all three levels for some padding and protection:

29845143892_1b45d94df0_c.jpgIMG_20160916_2 by avimore, on Flickr

Got a piece of wood cut-out to fit exactly on the top shelf.  Then measurements carefully drawn up to fit 21 bottles:

29958906925_454c65a186_c.jpgIMG_20160916_3 by avimore, on Flickr

Cutting the holes out was easier than I expected and luckily the wood held up well:

29332395383_9024e301b0_c.jpgIMG_20160916_4 by avimore, on Flickr

29845152772_b6b2dce199_c.jpgIMG_20160916_5 by avimore, on Flickr

Sanded and ready for paint:

29665173300_8bb063b9a5_c.jpgIMG_20160916_6 by avimore, on Flickr

The fit turned out perfect and very sturdy:

29845155622_f93b29a714_c.jpgIMG_20160916_7 by avimore, on Flickr

29332399583_4f5c62f09a_c.jpgIMG_20160916_8 by avimore, on Flickr

Used a couple coats of Satin Black (I tried Gloss Black at first but it was too shiny):

Edited by avimore

Sweet job - where is the hole for your Brewski though and an integrated Cigar tray LOL

Thanks!  Brewskis and cigars... I may not get much detailing done! lol 

I'll have to keep the cigars away from the Glass Sealant or things could get dangerous! :explode:

Love the finishing touches, the rounded edges of the holes, great paint job and the Adams logo (of course). 

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Well I followed this post....I am not finished but I have less than $80 in mine and will have a 3 plug power strip added as well.  I just gotta figure out the way I want my bottles.

Thank you for the great idea!

post-15061-0-30044100-1484787505_thumb.jpg

I can put towels, foam cannon, shampoo and the two swirl killers that will be here Saturday along with respective pads to the lower shelves and still have a provision for a 4oz bottle of glass sealer, one more aresol type can (hinting to the possible new aresol glass cleaner) and a bottle of odor eliminator!

Roll the cart out to the driveway and get to work!

I can put towels, foam cannon, shampoo and the two swirl killers that will be here Saturday along with respective pads to the lower shelves and still have a provision for a 4oz bottle of glass sealer, one more aresol type can (hinting to the possible new aresol glass cleaner) and a bottle of odor eliminator!

Great job on your cart, Daniel! 

I really like the way you arranged the bottles and nice idea to have a dedicated spot for your Sidekick.

Well done.

Great job on your cart, Daniel!

I really like the way you arranged the bottles and nice idea to have a dedicated spot for your Sidekick.

Well done.

Thanks! For the comments and the inspiration!!! I had been looking at making my own type of cart and I wash racking my brain on what to use for bottle storage. I had simply just not considered a piece of wood and drilling my own holes!! Very silly considering all the other things I have made from wood lol.

The same day I started on the cart I built a drawer work my work bench. Though I am definitely no cabinet maker it came out pretty well. The wood structure beside the blast cabinet it a mobile paint booth type thing for doing small cerakote parts w/ 2 Box fans stacked on the front and I use the standard air filters to catch the larger partials as the fans draw it away from me as I spray.

What size are all your diffrent holes, i.e. 32 oz and Side kick. You have lay out specs for the holes, or did you "wing it". Looks good. Edited by neontrucks

What size are all your diffrent holes, i.e. 32 oz and Side kick. You have lay out specs for the holes, or did you "wing it". Looks good.

I laid out the edges all the way around 1" then measured my 32 ounce bottles and laid out the width for two rows and took started by doing the outside bottle holes of each row and then measured to center for the middle one.

For the 8oz/16oz bottles I started with one whole and then just eyeballed it and stepped over for each keeping a similar spacing between each that would keep me the same distance from the 1" boarder line and fit the most bottles. After that I drilled the 4oz bottle hole and the Sidekick hole. After that I filled in with the paint correction set, the metal polish set, the paint sealant then two holes big enough for an aresol can (the aresol glass cleaner IS coming SOON per Adams) which will open up a 8/16oz spot for something else like waterless wash or something.

For the hole sizes I simply purchased the harbor freight hole saw kit that was on sale for 6.99 or 7.99 with coupon (can't remember which price) the day I bought the cart. I used the saw size that would reach the edges of the bottles I was cutting for (remember that when the saw cuts through there will be about another 1/16th more that the inner demensions of the hole saw to make up for the width of the teeth) or the next size if there wasn't one that would come to edges of the item I wanted to drill for. Also I want to note that I simply kept the disc that remained after cutting for the sidekick to elevate it enough to clear the handle and the cord and sit correctly. I attached it to the bottom of the tray with a centered bolt. I do plan to remove it and paint it but for it is just bare wood.

I used the cart today while washing my wife's Tahoe and it was nice having everything I constantly use right there and easy to move around as I went. For example the 3 end 32oz bottles are Wheel Cleaner, Tire and Rubber Cleaner, and All Purpose Cleaner which all three are used in the wheel washing. The next 3 32oz size holes are a bottle of Detail Spray, H2O G&G, and then the Adams' Shampoo.

My 16oz bottles are Interior Detailer, Leather/Interior Cleaner, Fabric/Upolstry Cleaner, Undercarriage Spray, Tire Shine, Glass Cleaner (for now), a bottle of Leather Conditioner, a bottle of VRT, and a bottle of Brillant Glaze.

The biggest thing is have fun and be creative! Make it hold what you want it too.

^^ thanks, I wasn't sure on the outer edge spacing. I've got a bunch of plastic totes (6 quart) on the bottom 2 shelfs for brushes and accessories. And bigger totes (15 quart) for towels. 1485139807670.jpg

Now all ya need is the 4 bolts to hold the wood up, a piece of wood, a hole saw kit from HF, and some time to yourself! 8-)