Customer Service 866.965.0400

Good lesson about new car decontamination

marquez93

Question

Since there seems to be a lot of questions about whether to clay or decontaminate new paint, I wanted to share my experience with a new car.

Yesterday I picked up a white 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport for my wife. It had just come off the truck the day before and these are shipped with pretty much the entire vehicle covered. So I thought the paint would be in pretty good shape despite the fact that it had to make the journey all the way from the UK.

I was going to do the baggie test after I washed it just to be sure that it was okay, but I could tell while washing that the roof especially felt very rough. Since I only had about 2 hours of daylight left, I tried to do a quick clay before applying PS. While claying, there were a lot of black specks on the paint that were not removed by the clay. So I got out my 50/50 Deep Wheel Cleaner and started to decontaminate as well. The worst areas were the roof, tailgate and fenders. I had to do multiple applications in those areas.

My goal today was just to get some protection on it before we drive from Ohio to Florida for vacation next weekend. So I still kind of rushed through it and will do a more thorough job next spring. But the lesson here is that new cars will most likely need to be decontaminated and clayed. Just because the paint is new does not mean that it is in good shape.

12 answers to this question

I hear you on that, I work at a dealer and even after removing the vinyl protective wrap, I can still see crap on the paint. Sometimes the wrap isnt sitting perfect and water and dirt get under it.

Oh, and I like your screen name.

tumblr_nupspvA1sn1ugx8hgo1_500.gif

I hear you on that, I work at a dealer and even after removing the vinyl protective wrap, I can still see crap on the paint. Sometimes the wrap isnt sitting perfect and water and dirt get under it.

Oh, and I like your screen name.

tumblr_nupspvA1sn1ugx8hgo1_500.gif

Thank you. And yeah, this was so bad I could feel the roughness through the wash mitt just gliding over it. These are shipped in like a bag that covers the whole car. I think Audi's are shipped like that also. It might actually be worse because it's not actually stuck to the paint and crap would definitely get under there.

Good info. What did you use to decon along with the 50/50 DWC? Clay? Towels?

I let it soak for a few minutes and then just used my wash mitt to agitate and then rinsed with the hose. I hadn't dried the car off yet anyway. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for now.

So, what is the best order when decontaminating new paint?

Strip, clay, DWC/IronX?

Or DWC and then clay?

I would guess to DWC and then clay...the fewer particles you drag across your paint the better, right?

Thanks.

Yes, paint decon, strip wash and then clay.  A thorough wash before you clay will make sure you're not rubbing particles into your paint with the clay bar.

I'll be doing this on my new car in the next few weeks.

Looks like the process I'll be following for a new Suburban soon! Thanks for sharing your experiences and steps. I do have one question... When diluting the DWC 50/50 - are you using distilled water?

I do so it doesn't leave water spots and distilled water isn't that expensive.

I also bought at new car this year and I didn't even check it. I knew it would need treatment and mainly because I told my dealer ZERO detailing. Just walk away, LOL.

I slightly disagree on the process you guys just mentioned. Just my opinion. I'm hesitant of the strip was depending on the application. A brand new or descent maintained vehicle; not needed. Especially if you are going to clay and/or DWC or Iron-X. I also feel you should decon before the clay. Mainly because Iron-X or DWC is going to take off stuff and remove it so your clay bar doesn't have to worry about it. The less you can run your clay bar or any other tool across the better. Iron deposits like you'll get from trail rails (or brakes on other than brand spanking new cars) will literally rinse away with the previously mentioned products. Why clay them off and then try those products?

So for my process and what I did for my brand new car was Iron-X first (after a test spot), then clay, then whatever your normal polish and em was process.