Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip Wash question

Geebee

Question

Hi Folks.......I need to strip wash my black Mercedes and was wondering if I'd accomplish the same results if I use Dawn Dish washing Liquid rather than Adam's Strip wash. Dawn will remove all the layers of wax and sealants, so could I go that route? I need to get this done within the next 2 days and don't have any Adam's Strip Wash to use.

Edited by Geebee

10 answers to this question

I've used 2-3 oz of the blue Dawn (the only one recommended since it doesn't contain lotions, etc., like others) in a gallon or two of water before without issue. I also used VRT to recondition the trim, which is the issue Dustin may be referring to about being "safe" on the car.

Note it doesn't hold suds as well as other options, but the result will be the same.

OK, thanks guys. I'll add some All Purpose Cleaner to the Dawn and see how that works out. 

Appreciate the ideas........  :banana:

Add the APC to the CS, not dish soap.  You are better off using CS since it has better lubricity and is designed to make the wash safer.  Save the Dawn for your lasagna pan.

Add the APC to the CS, not dish soap.  You are better off using CS since it has better lubricity and is designed to make the wash safer.  Save the Dawn for your lasagna pan.

But "Lasagna Pan" is the name of my car!

Seriously, though, what are the negative effects the Dawn poses to a car? I've read several posts saying it, but haven't seen one that actually defines it. I really don't want to damage my car, but in the times I've used Dawn, I didn't notice any adverse effects. Please help me understand!

Dawn may dry out your soft rubber and plastic trim more than other cleaners. It works in a pinch but most of us will recommend you use Adam's shampoo and All Purpose Cleaner.

That said I haved used Dawn before with no noticeable negative effects.

I think Dawn dries out rubber and that's why a lot of people don't recommend it. I'm not sure that using it once or twice a year for a strip wash would really be that harmful but I differ to the experts on that.

But "Lasagna Pan" is the name of my car!

Seriously, though, what are the negative effects the Dawn poses to a car? I've read several posts saying it, but haven't seen one that actually defines it. I really don't want to damage my car, but in the times I've used Dawn, I didn't notice any adverse effects. Please help me understand!

Hey kids, jump in the "Lasagna Pan" and we'll go get ice cream!  :jester:

You might have seen posts where people say that using Dawn on you car will dry out the plastic and rubber trim, and this is true, but you would have to use it really often to see these effects over time.

The bigger reason to wash with CS with APC added is "POLYMERS".  Yep, that's the good stuff in CS and SW that make washing safer for your paint.  The polymers are what encapsulate the dirt, which allows the dirt to be wiped from the paint with much less chance of scratching.  Kind of like how a clam gets a tiny piece of sand in it, which is irritating to its tender parts, so it coats it in calcium carbonate to make it smooth and more comfortable, making a pearl.

Dawn does not have these polymers to encapsulate the dirt.  A dish soap's primary function is to cut grease, and unless you're making lasagna on the hood of your car, you don't need to remove grease from your paint.

These polymers are also what makes rinseless washing possible.  RW contains even more polymers to make the process of washing without a hose safer.  The only downside to lots of polymers is that they work against the suds.  Try running RW through a Foam Cannon or Foam Gun, you're not going to get much suds, no matter how much product you put in.

So that brings up the next argument, and there are shampoos out there that downplay the suds, saying that the polymers are more important and you don't need all the suds.  Just like people will say a Foam Cannon or Foam Gun is all for show.  Wrong.  The suds are what allows the shampoo to cling to the paint, rather than just running right off onto the ground.  The longer the cling-time of the shampoo, the more chance the polymers have to work on encapsulating the dirt, and the more time the cleaning agents have to work on loosening the crud on the paint, which makes the process of wiping your wash pad or mitt across the dirty paint safer.

So a good quality washing product like Car Shampoo is going to balance recipe to get enough polymers to help encapsulate the dirt, but also give you adequate suds so it stays on the paint long enough to be most beneficial.

... unless you're making lasagna on the hood of your car, you don't need to remove grease from your paint.

You obviously haven't seen the handywork of the clowns in the service department at our local dealership! :D  

Really informative post Dan! Thanks!

Edited by LT1xL82