Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weather Tech floor liners

FrozenWS6

Question

I have detailed 3 different Suv's with the Weather Tech floor liners and have tried 3 different products and they still won't come completely clean.

First I used Tire Rubber Cleaner and my short bristled scrub brush. Rescrubbed them 2 times and they still had dried dirt on them. So I went back over them with Bleach W. Still dirty but got them a little better.

Then the next Suv I used APC at 100%, and wouldn't get them fully clean either after 2 scrub downs.

The 3rd Suv I used just the Bleach W and it did ok because these ones weren't as dirty as the others but still not completely clean.

Has anyone else had this issue? Looking for more ideas.

I'm having to top them off with VRT to hide the remaining dirt but its leaving them a little slippery.
I don't have this problem with my Husky Liners so I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

Here is a pic of what I started with on the last set I did. These are out of a 4,000 mile 2016 Silverado so there isn't any wear started on them yet. These are pretty clean for Alaska standards

19BD9F58-E6E4-407E-8D5D-504DD9FD8BCC_zps

Edited by FrozenWS6

I try to regularly hit mine with APC. I let it soak for a good 5 minutes then hit it with a splash of water and use my fender brush to scrub it down. I then rinse it clean and inspect, repeat if necessary.

I have a CR Spotless system so I rinse it off them with the blaster then air dry for any residual. If you have just tap water maybe rinse and dry then hit it with a light mist of Detail Spray to reduce any potential for water spots.

Once dry I then hit it with VRT and the foam block. As others have stated...the liners do become a little slippery but the VRT does an excellent job at keeping foreign material from sticking to it, making cleaning the next time a breeze.

I don't mind them being a little slippery for the payoff of easy cleaning. It's not like I'm walking on them, my feet simply rest on top of them. Hope this helps.

Edited by philhibner

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to try soaking them longer.

I kind of wish that the tire rubber cleaner was a little stronger for this, because even on tires I think there's room for improvement.

These are customer cars so some don't get any kind of cleaning for months since many garages are full of other stuff so the cars live outside and no one wants to clean their car out in the cold.

The worst ones I've let soak for a while. The other 2 got a shorter soaking.

But I'm still not happy with how well they cleaned up even after multiple applications and topped with VRT (which I had to apply a little thick to hide the left over dirt).

I hadn't thought of trying the steamer. It takes a bit to fill and warm up so not really something I can use real quick so that's usually out unless it's got some seat stains I need to take out that the customer already told me about.

Edited by FrozenWS6

This is the method I use on my customers and my own W Techs. Adams All Purpose cleaner or S Green, let it sit on the mats for 5 minutes, either scrub with heavy duty brush or power wash (be careful not to pull up the WT logo), dry with a Master Blaster, then I use Adams Total Interior Detailer to give it that nice clean crisp look. Works every time.

Weather Tech does have their own cleaner and conditioner, but have not tried it. I soak mine with APC, let soak and then scrub with a brush and pressure wash. I do use VRT on mine and then wipe off with several clean rags so not as slick when finished.

, then I use Adams Total Interior Detailer to give it that nice clean crisp look. Works every time.

I tried TID on this last set and still had to go back over it with VRT to hide the dirt.

Weather Tech does have their own cleaner and conditioner, but have not tried it. I soak mine with APC, let soak and then scrub with a brush and pressure wash. I do use VRT on mine and then wipe off with several clean rags so not as slick when finished.

That's interesting they have there own cleaners. I did wipe the VRT with a microfiber after I applied it and you could see the dirt again. So I had to apply more to cover it back up.

The best way to describe it is almost like it's getting stained. I didn't think to get a step by step picture of my process but I'll try to do it with the next suv.

Thanks again. I will try these ideas to see if I can get them clean enough to my liking.

I wash mine with Meguiars APC at 4:1 and get them clean every time.  I let the product dwell for about a minute, then scrub them.  Never had an issue.  I don't dress them with anything other than Weathertech TechCare floor liner protectant.  Keeps them looking good, and they're not slippery.  

I have the Weathertech Cleaner and Conditioner. While pricey, It seems to work well despite that I have only used it once. I believe that Weathertech has an ebay store and that's where I got it from. It believe that it is meant to be a 2 step process, as to clean the mats first and then finish them with the conditioner.

Cleaned mine today,they were worse than the OP photo.I thought I would try the the tire and rubber cleaner.

Rinsed them first then sprayed them down with T&RC and scrubbed them down.I could see the dirt lift right off them.Gave them a good rinse a blew them dry with my new master blaster(love that thing)They were perfectly clean but a little dull.Wiped them down with some leather and interior cleaner and a MF towel They look like they just came out of the box and they are almost 3 years old.Sorry no photos but worked great.

I, like others, use the all purpose cleaner. I spray it on, leave it for 5 minutes, scrub with the fender brush, then rinse with a hose. Gets all the dirt off and they come out clean. I used to dress them but they became slippery. I am thinking of getting the WeatherTech conditioner and trying that.  

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still trying different techniques and products that are working for you guys. To see what works for me with our winter dirt/salt/calcium chloride mix they use on our winter roads.

I had another car/set come through last week and so I pulled them out and sprayed them down with my preferred brand x tire rubber cleaner. Then had some customers come in and when I got back out to scrub them I had to respray my cleaner, scrub and rinse. This set turned out the best so far. I was satisfied this time. Still put a little diluted VRT on them and didn't have to drowned them with it this time.

I had to comment on this. My biggest pet peeve is dirty mats. When I worked for the mines they were constantly dirty. There was this powder we used at the preparation plant that we pumped into the slurry ponds and any time the tank needed refilled, it would spill onto the ground, get wet and turn into a slime that seemed impossible to get off so naturally it was always on my floor mats. The absolute best way I've found to clean them is either a tire cleaner (Might be a bit aggressive but don't leave it on long) or their cleaner (Which I got for Christmas and I only used once)

What I have always done is hung them up while I'm washing my truck. I soak them with water, hit them with a decent amount of cleaner, let them sit while you're spraying down the vehicle. Then once it has soaked on the mats, hit them with a brush, let them sit a little longer. Hit them with a pressure washer. A water hose and nozzle might work, but it's going to require more brush work. Once they're washed, either dry them or let them hang dry. After this, I use the Weathertech sealant stuff. It actually works extremely well. I do recommend looking into that even if you have 0 interest in ever using their car care products. (Not steering away from Adam's) but they definitely made it for their mats. I'll see if I can snap a picture of the before and after later this week for those that might be interested.

It's held up pretty well and I just blow the mats off with pressure and the dirt comes off. I've had my mats for 2 years in this truck that have seen PLENTY of abuse.

I'm curious I see your two pictures, one has mud and the other is clean with no mud, in some areas they aren't shiny dirty looking while other areas of the Matt look shiney? So what your asking is for a solution to make the mat look new and shines all over again? So if my assumption is correct, any cleaner and a medium bristle brush can and will make the mats clean. The problem with using VRT or any other solution to make them completely shine and new looking is when it raining out or you step in water what ever you put on the mat becomes a liability, weather tech makes a product that will bring the shine back and makes your mats look new until you dirty them again without have the slippery liability.

Honestly I don't care about them getting shiny. I'm just trying to get them clean for my customers. All the products I've tried have had ok results but not anything I can say that got them even 95% clean.

After reading all these posts I think I am going to try this. Wash with all purpose cleaner, dry, then try the interior cleaner. If that doesn't work I will try the weather tech product.

Seth - let us know how this turns out in the end.  My WT mats are only 4 months old so keeping them clean has not been a problem yet, but I'm sure that will change with time.  I've debated getting the WT cleaner and protectant as well, but did not know whether it was going to be any different that what I'm currently using. 

SS LeadFoot if I get a set in soon I'll try it too.

Rich. I tried tire and rubber cleaner and APC full strength and it did less then my brand x I use.

The thing I did on the last set was spray them off with the high pressure and let them soak which gave me a little better results. Then respray them and scrub. I wasn't letting the first ones soak at all.

Also up here in the winter with all the snow, salt and slop we get in our trucks people don't usually clean the inside. Since it's too cold outside to work and many people's garages are full of other toys and or storage they can't get their vehicles inside.