Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing pinstriping

Jason S.

Question

Need some advice.  My buddy has a 4-year old truck with pinstriping he wants removed.  Its starting to harden, crack, and chip away.  I don't have any experience with this, so I'm not sure what's the best technique.  I want to avoid any scraping so I don't scratch the paint.  Should I try a heat gun?  A solvent?  Thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions, as Dave already chimed in, but I have to ask: What if the paint underneath has faded? Is there anything that can be done to "blend" it in with the rest?

Chris, I think if anything, the paint underneath will be darker since it's never been exposed to lighting or the elements.

Added the Hair Dryer to my first post above, missed that somehow in my hurry to get going yesterday when I made the post.

The ghosting left from the stripe will/should be pretty minimal, but it depends on the age of the paint, quality of the paint, and where the vehicle sits during the day. If it's in the direct sun, say, somewhere in the south it could be worse than a northern car parked in a garage during the day.

Polish the area once the stripe is removed to achieve the best appearance.

3M eraser wheel is the best option, but be sure to hold it flat on the surface or you will burn through the paint fast if you dont pay attention.

Another good home remedy is a small rag soaked with WD40 and wet the striping with it let sit it will loosen it up enough to start peeling off.

If the paint is darker under the striping, you'll have painted on pin striping, just the opposite of ghost graphics lol

-Jason 

I did this with my dad about 3 years ago.It was for pinstriping that was painted on. We talked to a few professional automotive car painters and they said use easy off oven cleaner. We sprayed it in the bottom of a cup and then we applied it directly to the pinstripe with q-tips. Let it sit until the pinstripe softens and then just wipe it off. I was very worried that it would damage the paint or the clearcoat so I've kept an eye on it and I haven't noticed any damage.

I did this with my dad about 3 years ago.It was for pinstriping that was painted on. We talked to a few professional automotive car painters and they said use easy off oven cleaner. We sprayed it in the bottom of a cup and then we applied it directly to the pinstripe with q-tips. Let it sit until the pinstripe softens and then just wipe it off. I was very worried that it would damage the paint or the clearcoat so I've kept an eye on it and I haven't noticed any damage.

Lol! I used to work in the detail center at a BMW dealership, many lessons learned on what not to do... but anyway we used Easy Off for painted pinstripes and shocking though it may be, it does work. Really nasty stuff so use great care.

Lacquer thinner works on painted pin stripes. I guess it depends on the paint that was used.I used Easy off on my drag car and trailer years ago and it worked fine. My wife crashed my Silverado last fall. It had pin stripes so I took the old door home and experimented with it. Easy off wouldn't touch it so based on our body guys advice I tried lacquer thinner and it took the stripes off easily. Neither harmed the clear coat.