Customer Service 866.965.0400

Smartpost Thoughts

Any way we get the shipping department to stop using FedEx Smartpost? I know when it comes to "free" shipping for the customer, Adam's saves a few bucks with smartpost, but is the dissatisfaction of the customer having to wait 2-3 days extra to receive their order worth it?

I don't want this to turn into a huge complain thread as I do realize how hard shipping works to get packages out, but I would like to bring to attention the inconvenience of this service.

For me personally, FedEx always seems to time it so my package gets to Florida around Thursday or Friday, but because of the time it takes to transfer to USPS, a lot of time I don't get my package til Monday. The weekend is prime wash time!

Maybe shipping department needs a strategy overhaul?

Just a thought. Please don't skewer me.

I was referring to free shipping methods, as in FedEx Home Delivery/Ground versus SmartPost.

But for the record, I've paid for "faster" shipping before and it still took days for the order to get out, which nulls the faster part.

I would also agree to this. The past two or three orders I placed from adams in the past few months have always taken an extra 3 to even 4 days extra. All of which missed the off days I could use the products while sufficing a day or two of good weather. The extra time, and inconvenience, is very upsetting. It sucks seeing packages go all over the place in a non linear manner, and taking extra time swapping between FedEx and USPS causes more of a delay. I will chime in and say I've never had a problem with UPS. It's not just orders from Adams, but FedEx from amazon takes my packages in the wrong direction or directly 3 hours past my region (Chicagoland) and take and extra day or two of just sitting around at a shipping center waiting to move. I understand FedEx might be in Adams best interest, but as a consumer, it's a headache. Again because of the extra days to ship and missing windows of detailing time. 

You can try your local dealer. They often offer the same specials as the website, and some times they have other offers. Shiping form O'town to Polk County should be overnight.

Good point. I have used Mint Condition before on stuff I needed right quick.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get on board with the thought process of complaining about free shipping. They're already taking a hit on the operating and profit margins by offering free shipping, and people want to complain about it? Yes, they'll make up for it in volume, and probably never do anything that results in RED on a balance sheet, but I'm sorry, complaining about free stuff just isn't right. Just like with the federal goverment, someone's paying for it.

This may come as a surprise to you, but even when you pay for shipping, based on my experience, even with a commercial account with FedEx, they're probably still losing money on the shipping, because they're only charging you an estimated amount and hoping their system estimates it correctly. I'm willing to bet, more often than not, they still come out behind. 

So, do you want to pay more per product to get better free shipping? because that is what they'd have to do, increase the cost of the goods. Or do you just want to accept that they'll pick the cheapest option for them, and enjoy the fact that you're getting free shipping on top of a 15% discount? 

I get it. AmazonPrime has got everyone spoiled. Even I get a little put off when something takes more than 3 or 4 days to get to me, and I've paid good money to ship it, but c'mon its free. They usually offer a 7.99 upgrade to FedEx Ground during free shipping promotions. That in and of itself is a good deal, because while that on average may be the difference between SmartPost and Ground, again, on my orders if I run the numbers, they still took a hit. 

I don't mind it.  It adds 0 days for me.  From FedEx to USPS to me all in the same day.

1:28 pm Delivered      

Package delivered by U.S. Postal Service to addressee

8:02 am Out for delivery      

Out for delivery with the U.S. Postal Service

7:50 am At U.S. Postal Service facility      

Accepted by U.S. Postal Service

7:12 am In transit      

In transit to U.S. Postal Service

5:02 am Departed FedEx location   FEDEX SMARTPOST EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ    

5:00 am Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service

Edited by SYMAWD

I'm sorry, but I just can't get on board with the thought process of complaining about free shipping. They're already taking a hit on the operating and profit margins by offering free shipping, and people want to complain about it? Yes, they'll make up for it in volume, and probably never do anything that results in RED on a balance sheet, but I'm sorry, complaining about free stuff just isn't right. Just like with the federal goverment, someone's paying for it.

This may come as a surprise to you, but even when you pay for shipping, based on my experience, even with a commercial account with FedEx, they're probably still losing money on the shipping, because they're only charging you an estimated amount and hoping their system estimates it correctly. I'm willing to bet, more often than not, they still come out behind. 

So, do you want to pay more per product to get better free shipping? because that is what they'd have to do, increase the cost of the goods. Or do you just want to accept that they'll pick the cheapest option for them, and enjoy the fact that you're getting free shipping on top of a 15% discount? 

I get it. AmazonPrime has got everyone spoiled. Even I get a little put off when something takes more than 3 or 4 days to get to me, and I've paid good money to ship it, but c'mon its free. They usually offer a 7.99 upgrade to FedEx Ground during free shipping promotions. That in and of itself is a good deal, because while that on average may be the difference between SmartPost and Ground, again, on my orders if I run the numbers, they still took a hit. 

Ugh. I sincerely tried in my original post to really not turn this into a complain thread about free shipping. Yes, I understand they want to pick the cheapest option for them. Yes, I understand nothing is free. Yes, I know we all feel spoiled with Amazon Prime. On and on and on. I was merely trying to see if maybe they can use FedEx ground instead of SmartPost (which is a few bucks cheaper than Home Delivery). I happen to have a FedEx account and used to utilize their services often when I was selling off mods from my Raptor, so I know how the whole commerce thing works, and I see where all the fees are that they tack on. I know shipping is practically robbery. But I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee you Adam's isn't losing sleep over free shipping. I'd be willing to bet their profit margin on their products is insane. We can debate all day long, but I'd be willing to bet that 16oz bottle of Detail Spray that we pay 12.99 for or whatever it is, then minus the 15% discount, is still turning them a satisfying profit. 

So "free" shipping, I'm not buying it. Like you said, somebody pays for it. But this thread wasn't supposed to be about that. It was merely an attempt to really try to point out the inconvenience (for some of us) and backwards logic that SmartPost really brings. 

Again, I appreciate how hard Adam's works to get us our amazing products, but I really just wish they'd scrap the SmartPost delivery method. That's it.

Ugh. I sincerely tried in my original post to really not turn this into a complain thread about free shipping. Yes, I understand they want to pick the cheapest option for them. Yes, I understand nothing is free. Yes, I know we all feel spoiled with Amazon Prime. On and on and on. I was merely trying to see if maybe they can use FedEx ground instead of SmartPost (which is a few bucks cheaper than Home Delivery). I happen to have a FedEx account and used to utilize their services often when I was selling off mods from my Raptor, so I know how the whole commerce thing works, and I see where all the fees are that they tack on. I know shipping is practically robbery. But I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee you Adam's isn't losing sleep over free shipping. I'd be willing to bet their profit margin on their products is insane. We can debate all day long, but I'd be willing to bet that 16oz bottle of Detail Spray that we pay 12.99 for or whatever it is, then minus the 15% discount, is still turning them a satisfying profit. 

So "free" shipping, I'm not buying it. Like you said, somebody pays for it. But this thread wasn't supposed to be about that. It was merely an attempt to really try to point out the inconvenience (for some of us) and backwards logic that SmartPost really brings. 

Again, I appreciate how hard Adam's works to get us our amazing products, but I really just wish they'd scrap the SmartPost delivery method. That's it.

I don't think the forum (publicly) is the best place to make that case then, because in this setting, it really just sounds like your complaining about free. Adam had posted something back in 2014?(found it: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27485-flat-rate-shipping/?do=findComment&comment=431724) or so about the cost of product, and their balance sheet. I  also didn't deny they're making a profit, but you can't deny they're taking a hit somewhere.

The bottle probably cost .40 to .70 per bottle, even in the quantity that adams orders them in. The sprayer, 1.20. The bottle label? probably around .05 label. 

So lets say .55+1.20+.05 = 1.80 for a bottle, but I could very well be going cheap on the label.

Lets assume Adams isnt paying his employees the Colorado minimum wage of 9.30/hr to run the bottling process, labeling machine, pick the order, pack the order, and prepare it for shipping.  They have to keep the lights (and heat in Colorado) on the operation, pay sales, business, real estate tax. Operate an e-commerce site, this forum, advertising, pay credit card processing fees, etc. That 9.30/hr employee has a burden on the company of probably closer to 15 or 16/hour because Adams has to pay their portion of the FICA taxes, probably offers them health insurance of some variety, workman's comp insurance, and potentially unemployment insurance to the state for that employee.

I counted potentially 4 different employees it takes to prepare just one bottle for sale. Then theres the actual product. Sure they're getting it at one heckuva rate by ordering it in multiple 275 gallon totes at a time. 

If I were a betting man, I'd say that 12.99 bottle breaks down to about 40-45% of chemical cost, 30-35% of overhead which leaves 25 to 30% profit. So with 15% off sales, they're probably only seeing 10 to 15% profit per item. Now by volume alone, they're probably getting closer to 20-22.5% during those same sales.  Surely some of the shipping expenses are covered in the overhead, but anything beyond what we pay them, that exceeds their allotted amount  when we click check-out.... Probably comes out of that profit category. 

Geez dude you really turned this into overkill haha. I still think SmartPost is stupid  :lolsmack:

But hey! Good thing we're allowed a freedom of speech or else you're right, this thread would be really out of line!

I'm not sure how many times I need to say that I appreciate what Adam's does for us, or how awesome their customer service is. I'm a HUGE promoter of Adam's products. But this forum category is reserved to "steer the future of Adam's" and hey, if SmartPost wasn't in their future, I'd be a whole lot happier. But if it is, then I guess I can deal :)

Edited by Mariner

You can try your local dealer.  They often offer the same specials as the website, and some times they have other offers.  Shiping form O'town to Polk County should be overnight.

Not if you live in Minnesota! We don't have any dealers here!

I'm not complaining on the free shipping either. This has been an issue for almost all things shipped from adams through this method. For an item that should've been here by Friday, Saturday at the latest, is now being delivered the next week. This method is just paid fully slow and indirect.

I think the "Dislike Smartpost" people need to realize that the service works great for many (dare I say most?) of us.

That's not to say that they can't make suggestions and even make the problems they have had public.  That's just to say that if there is no change they should not take it personally.

I think the "Dislike Smartpost" people need to realize that the service works great for many (dare I say most?) of us.

That's not to say that they can't make suggestions and even make the problems they have had public. That's just to say that if there is no change they should not take it personally.

I'm not going to take it too hard if nothing changes. In fact now that I see that a few people approve of it, I may just eat my words and try to upgrade even if I have free shipping.

This is what makes this forum so great is that we all have differing opinions so as long as everyone remains civil, solutions are usually found.