Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Life Expectancy Of A Clay Bar?

Dispatch

Question

9 answers to this question

Not an easy question to answer, as there are many variables.  If the cars are just 'reasonably' contaminated it should last for 4-6 cars.  If the surface is very contaminated then it will last only one.  When you can no longer find a clean section, it is time to downgrade it for windows or wheels.

1 minute ago, mc2hill said:

Not an easy question to answer, as there are many variables.  If the cars are just 'reasonably' contaminated it should last for 4-6 cars.  If the surface is very contaminated then it will last only one.  When you can no longer find a clean section, it is time to downgrade it for windows or wheels.

What he said!

Normally if I am working on a car that I just bought or after long road trips then I will only use it once oneon the paint then downgrade it to wheels. When I am up keeping my cars which is normally year round I will use a clay bar about every 3 months and it will last me 2 cycles of this on both my car and my fiances truck. Just got to make sure you fold it often, store it properly, and make sure you can always find a clean spot. If you cant find a clean spot then its time to downgrade it to wheels. Just how I use clay. 

23 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

For me it doesnt last too long....its gone after i drop it which is usually halfway thru one car!!!!

I have done that a few times, that why I always keep extra clay on hand. 

On 3/21/2019 at 7:42 AM, falcaineer said:

Get the mitt. It'll last dozens of cars, you don't have to worry about dropping it, it's easy to clean, and it speeds things up soooo much.

According to Adam, this has a high chance of introducing swirls, so it’s best to only use the mitt if you are ready to perform a correction after.

I just clayed a brand new Harley Davidson Road Glide Special, I could not believe even after hours of taking my time claying, (after the second baggy test), it is still in need of a whole nother claying session, I got ready waiting for me in the garage... Confused._zpsd5nzecqq.gif