Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Spray on Running Boards and Mud Flaps

RayS

Question

I was able to cleanse myself today after doing the Blue F-150 a couple of weeks ago and made the wife happy by doing two of our Red vehicles.   

I have been using Ceramic Boost on the Running Board and Mud Flaps on the truck for a couple of years and it seems to work pretty good in keep them clean.  The mud flaps are Weather Tech and they do not clean up the same way the floor mats do, but some APC on them works rather well.  For the Running Boards, the rubber treads by the doors get Tire & Rubber Cleaner, but nothing else to keep them from getting slippery.

My thought is go use Ceramic Spray Coating on them for the longevity and am wondering if anyone else has do so?

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

12 answers to this question

I second what @Rich said. 

I have used it on my weather tech mud flaps, and the various black trim around the truck. Just wipe it on like you would the paint. The “porous” (textured plastic) I just wiped it on and left it. The smooth plastic (mud flaps) the first time I did a quick post application wipe (like you do in the paint) the second time I did the mud flap I just left it like the porous plastic. 

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the responses from those that have been there already.  Once I got started this morning I decided to take the suggestions and learning opportunities as far as possible today.

Not only did I do the running boards and mud flaps, I did the tonneau cover, bed rails, black section of the bumper and tailgate handle along with the bug deflector, which really turned out great.   I had completed a deep clean of the tonneau cover yesterday and did three coats of conditioner after the deep clean, so I figured why not seal it in with Ceramic Spray Coating.   The cover is a hard rollup cover. 

Here are the after pictures, just ignore the top of the Bully Step which needs to be pulled apart and plasti-dipped since the white isn't white anymore.  I tried 3 different angles  to get a picture of the bumper and either the sun or reflection from the garage door are showing as white lines on the bumper. 

The truck was thoroughly washed yesterday and I had planned on doing the deep clean on the Tonneau along with my 6 month regiment of adding 3 thin coats of conditioner, applied one hour apart. The truck was left in the garage overnight, so this morning I wiped down the running boards and mud flaps with APC just to make sure they were clean and without road grime.  Then I followed up with a wipe down of Coating Prep followed by Ceramic Spray Coating.

I really liked the look, so it was time to take risk on the Aeorskin II bug deflector.  Another round APC, Coating Prep and then CSC.   After seeing how well that turned out, I decided I was going to do the tonneau cover.  The tonneau did not get the APC or Coating Prep since I didn't want to take the conditioner off, so I just applied the CSC.  I'm not sure how it will hold up, but it sure looks great for now.  The tonneau and bug deflector have been on the truck for 2+ years and outside the entire time, they still look good since they've had proper care.

The bumper and box rails were first prepped with Black Trim Restorer and then because they are so porous, I went with the CSC on a microfiber applicator and then a wipe with a towel.   The tailgate handle and bumper had some areas that almost turning gray, so I'm pleased with how they came out.

@Rich  I credit the shine Revive Hand Polish with Ceramic Paste Wax for the outstanding shine that it currently.  I was going to do the Mustang next, but I seriously think that I'll strip the truck, make sure it is well polished and hit it with CSC.  The Mustang can wait until I see how the tonneau looks after a couple of weeks and then I will decide if I want to use CSC on the top of it.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

9 minutes ago, RayS said:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the responses from those that have been there already.  Once I got started this morning I decided to take the suggestions and learning opportunities as far as possible today.

Not only did I do the running boards and mud flaps, I did the tonneau cover, bed rails, black section of the bumper and tailgate handle along with the bug deflector, which really turned out great.   I had completed a deep clean of the tonneau cover yesterday and did three coats of conditioner after the deep clean, so I figured why not seal it in with Ceramic Spray Coating.   The cover is a hard rollup cover. 

Here are the after pictures, just ignore the top of the Bully Step which needs to be pulled apart and plasti-dipped since the white isn't white anymore.  I tried 3 different angles  to get a picture of the bumper and either the sun or reflection from the garage door are showing as white lines on the bumper. 

The truck was thoroughly washed yesterday and I had planned on doing the deep clean on the Tonneau along with my 6 month regiment of adding 3 thin coats of conditioner, applied one hour apart. The truck was left in the garage overnight, so this morning I wiped down the running boards and mud flaps with APC just to make sure they were clean and without road grime.  Then I followed up with a wipe down of Coating Prep followed by Ceramic Spray Coating.

I really liked the look, so it was time to take risk on the Aeorskin II bug deflector.  Another round APC, Coating Prep and then CSC.   After seeing how well that turned out, I decided I was going to do the tonneau cover.  The tonneau did not get the APC or Coating Prep since I didn't want to take the conditioner off, so I just applied the CSC.  I'm not sure how it will hold up, but it sure looks great for now.  The tonneau and bug deflector have been on the truck for 2+ years and outside the entire time, they still look good since they've had proper care.

The bumper and box rails were first prepped with Black Trim Restorer and then because they are so porous, I went with the CSC on a microfiber applicator and then a wipe with a towel.   The tailgate handle and bumper had some areas that almost turning gray, so I'm pleased with how they came out.

@Rich  I credit the shine Revive Hand Polish with Ceramic Paste Wax for the outstanding shine that it currently.  I was going to do the Mustang next, but I seriously think that I'll strip the truck, make sure it is well polished and hit it with CSC.  The Mustang can wait until I see how the tonneau looks after a couple of weeks and then I will decide if I want to use CSC on the top of it.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

Looks great, Ray! Really nice work, and appreciate the write-up, too.